Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From 2018 Civic Hatchback to Tesla model 3 SR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I currently have a 2018 Honda Civic Hatchback 1.5L Prestige which, I have enjoyed for 3 years.
I have booked a Model 3 SR (just before the 1k price increase) after test driving one and it may come in Feb 2022 here in UK.
Civic has been reliable for me so far and the only money thing it required so far was front brake change.

Q1. Should I have similar hopes with a Model 3 produced in 2022 or are the issues such as panel gapes and random things not working still present?
Q2. I am not planning to get PPF or do any coating on the car as my Civic didn't have anything and I was fine with it. Is that a mistake?
Q3. I could get a dedicated charger but, I have a 3 pin socket outside. My daily usage is around 20-30miles. Could I get away with 3 pin plug charging?

Thank you

Welcome to the family!
#1 - not as bad as it used to be but still check over your car. Mine was pretty good (March 2021 delivery). No worse than any other car I’ve ever bought.
#2 - I’ve done nothing to Protect mine. Have a few chips off the front but that is normal.
#3 - probably so. I have both a 120v outlet and a 14-50 240v. I use the 120v most of the time and it is fine. The other is for when I really drain the battery.

You've got 220v charging in the UK right? 20-30 miles a day, you don't need to install a dedicated charger. Even on a 120v plug you could get like 5 miles per hour of charging.

I didn't have PPF on mine either, a few small chips here and there, I don't really care. It really depends on how rocky/sandy where you live. If you haven't had much of an issue and don't care that the car isn't perfect cosmetically, you could skip it.

Panel gaps are supposed to be pretty decent for the made in china cars. My made in USA car was pretty good other than 1 spot in the rear hatch. Pretty minor though. Wouldn't hurt to pay attention on delivery and get them to fix it.

In Cambridge Massachusetts I charge on 110v with the charge cable hanging from the apartment window.
I only use the car for food shopping and weekend trips, 5mph is good enough, but it would be nice to have 30mph charging capability.
I keep the car charged at 250 and when I drive to NY set the charge to 300 miles what take over 10 hours to get there.
There will always be enough charge to make it to a super charger around here but it is not ideal.
If you have the option do run a high amperage outlet. Being able to charge from 0 to max in 10 hours at home is a great convenance.
I would order floor and trunk all weather matts.
It's quite the upgrade, Enjoy!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 11.46.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 11.46.48 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 217
Reactions: XPsionic
picked up mine 11th December. No issues except a miss-aligned number plate.
might get ppf for front hood and bumper.
I have a charger. it gives approx 40-50 miles charge per hour. Sentry mode causes drain of 1-2 miles per hour!