Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From Love to Hate in one Roadtrip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My read is that Tesla just got a run of out of spec charger ports. When they realized this, they put in a plan to correct the situation, acknowledged the fact publicly and offered to replace the part free of charge. Owners developed their own work around by pressing harder or levering the nozzle.

Not sure if this part can be repaired in the field by Rangers, but that would certaintly make the repair more convient for owners.

Now people are free to trash their imperfection on forums like these, but to my eyes Tesla handled this pretty well.
I can't say Tesla "handled it well" if they haven't notified the affected owners.

I can't say Tesla "handled it well" if they haven't notified the affected owners.

Charge ports may not be tracked as closely as safety (TREAD Act) items. I.e. no individual serial number scanned and logged against VIN. So they wouldn't know which owners of previously sold vehicles were impacted. That said, if they could identify the errant lot, they could bulk warn everyone with cars built after that point. Heck, could even have a pop up warning on the center display for cars that have never supercharged.

• Disagree
Reactions: CRASHER
I actually think this is happening to me, kind of a normalization of the Tesla experience. If I go to my car and the screen reboots now, I hardly notice, but during my first few months I was on the phone with the SC Manager. I guess at some point you end up deciding whether to live with the quirks and issues if you keep the car otherwise every day would be a bad day, and the car is really great when it is working properly :)

Might be the 5 stages of Tesla Ownership:

Excitement - This car is awesome, it is so fast and smooth --> First Major Issue (Note some never leave this phase)
Anger - This thing is a POS, and I hate it --> Issue rectified, but with some pain dealing with Tesla processes
Bargaining - If this thing has one more issue I will file for Lemon Law Protection --> Next Issue
Depression - I cannot believe I spent over $100k on this thing that is making me miserable and why does everyone at the SC know my name????
Acceptance - OK, I am willing to live with all the faults and I think I have the major issues fixed for the most part, now I just need periodic SC visits for rattles and to fix whatever the next FW version breaks.

I think I am probably at Stage 5 now with my S and Stage 4 with my X, moving to Stage 5.

Interesting take on it. I’m definitely a stage 2. Hate hate hate my car but very glad most of y’all are having no trouble and love yours. My favorite SVC manager was not at my local svc when they asked me to come trade the rental van for a tesla, after we broke down on that trip. When she got there the next day they told her what had happened and how upset and angry I was. She told me her response was, “Oh no! He’s always so happy, excited, and loves us. And now we broke him.” Yup. I wish they didn’t know me from Adam.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Charge ports may not be tracked as closely as safety (TREAD Act) items. I.e. no individual serial number scanned and logged against VIN. So they wouldn't know which owners of previously sold vehicles were impacted. That said, if they could identify the errant lot, they could bulk warn everyone with cars built after that point. Heck, could even have a pop up warning on the center display for cars that have never supercharged.

There's certainly a range; they don't need to know exactly which cars were affected. Notify every owner in that range.

They had no problems notifying every owner over that seatbelt issue even though it didn't affect the vast majority of us (were there any confirmed cases of folks actually getting theirs replaced?)

• Love
Reactions: DrivingRockies
Exactly. Tesla should have towed the car and delivered a rental. Unless you think that is the unreasonable standard that people hold a manufacturer of $100K+ car to.
Yeah, for some reason the OP didn't want that. At least you and I agree on one thing.

What type of $100K car gets this type of treatment.
I can personally check off Porsche and Aston Martin not doing it.
There's certainly a range; they don't need to know exactly which cars were affected. Notify every owner in that range.

They had no problems notifying every owner over that seatbelt issue even though it didn't affect the vast majority of us (were there any confirmed cases of folks actually getting theirs replaced?)

It comes down to how smart is their smart factory.

Tracking lot codes to VIN serial numbers for every part is complicated. Tracking lot codes to a range of VIN serial numbers is much easier.

A TS 16949 automotive supplier in theory should not ship bad parts but it happens every day....

Reactions: mongo
What type of $100K car gets this type of treatment.
I can personally check off Porsche and Aston Martin not doing it.
I've never been stuck in a Porsche or owned an Aston, but have a friend whose Toyota Tercel roadside assistance allowed her to tow up to 150km as many times as needed. Her car broke down once over a long weekend, she had it towed to the camping site (original destination), then 2 days later back home to a Toyota dealer. We joked it was cheaper than her driving herself, except she had to wait for the tow truck each time.

Reactions: Swift
I expect my home electricity to work. I pay for it. But if the power goes out, my expectation isn't much help. That's why I have candles, a small camp stove in the closet w/fuel, and small solar panels for charging electronics (no generator atm, but a couple of neighbors do). Because my expectations don't keep the lights on when the power is out.
Off topic, but it sounds like a couple of Tesla Powerwalls might be of some use at your home. :)

• Funny
Reactions: Swift and bonnie
It comes down to how smart is their smart factory.

Tracking lot codes to VIN serial numbers for every part is complicated. Tracking lot codes to a range of VIN serial numbers is much easier.

A TS 16949 automotive supplier in theory should not ship bad parts but it happens every day....

Again, there is no need for them to know exactly which cars were affected.

They can simply bound it by production date given the reports of this issue that they have received thus far and what they know about the parts that they ordered from the supplier. Even if they can only narrow it down to all cars produced in 2017, there's no harm in sending it to owners who are not affected. That's why I cited the seatbelt case, where they also knew most owners weren't affected yet notified everyone anyways. In this case, an owner who's already supercharged is going to know his port is fine and disregard. An owner who hasn't supercharged, but has no trips planned where they will need supercharging is probably going to ignore until he has such a trip planned or has to bring the car in for service anyways, or when they can check it with minimal inconvenience. An owner like the OP, who has a tripped planned, is probably going to take that 2 hour trip to/fro the supercharger to ensure the family isn't inconvenienced on the trip where supercharging is needed. Owners in all three buckets are going to appreciate Tesla for looking out for owners.

IMO it sounds to me like you should consider having the SC check your port if it is still affected. Superchargers should not require any extra technique or force to start charging. Needing to use extra force is the exact symptom of the December 2017 manufacturing issue.

I still think you should take the car into a service center and have your charge port replaced. it is not functioning properly, even though you have a workable, temporary, work-around.

Thanks. I appreciate the suggestions, but I'm still not convinced I have the same issue, if there's even one in my case. I've been able to charge at home pretty much every day for over a month now with practically no issue. And it took me 1-2 seconds extra to make it work at not one, but two Superchargers. It's taking me longer to write this paragraph than the combined extra time that it will probably take me to use the Supercharges for all my road trips this year. I simply consider it to be a non-issue for me.

On a side note, I find all this discussion over Tesla's "attitude" to its customers or the quality of the cars it makes interesting. I have owned cars from about 10 different manufacturers over my lifetime and there have always been flaws with either the company or the car. Every single damn one of them. I've just learned a long time ago to be more of a realist and not a perfectionist regardless of how much I pay, simply because there are other and better things in life to worry about. There's a limit to this, of course, and what it looks like is probably different for different people.

I did a lot of research before buying my S75D. Telsa to me is a flawed but intriguing company producing flawed but intriguing cars. It is what it is. If you demand perfection or "standard" behavior from them, well, you're likely going to be disappointed. In many ways, I feel like buying a car from them is even more of rolling the dice. In my case, I was, and still am, willing to do so because the intrigue factor, existing owners' satisfaction, and that my wanting to support the overall EV technology far outweigh the flaws with the company and my car (for which there are definitely several). Most importantly, if you decide to do it, you may want to take some precautionary measures to mitigate the risks. For example, in my case, I deliberately added the rental car coverage to the auto insurance policy for my Tesla just in case any fixes take longer (like they are prone to do based on my research), something that I'd never done with any of my previous cars. You may also want to just better plan ahead before taking it for any extended road trips, which includes things like testing the Supercharger if you've never tried it at all and are really concerned about it. By all means, push them to get better when/where you can, but if you're ultimately that unhappy with Tesla or your S/X/3, let your action and money do all the talking by having someone else have your business. It's just not worth the stress. Plus, if you really want to get their attention, there's probably no better way to do it.

People: please do not apply any type of lubricant to your charge port. It will transfer to common charge points, then to other vehicles. The compatibility with materials and electrical components has not been tested nor the long term effects validated.

Some lubricants can also trap dirt and grime, causing buildup inside of the supercharger plug and your charge port.

• Funny
Reactions: metier and mongo
Thanks. I appreciate the suggestions, but I'm still not convinced I have the same issue, if there's even one in my case. I've been able to charge at home pretty much every day for over a month now with practically no issue. And it took me 1-2 seconds extra to make it work at not one, but two Superchargers.

The problem does not manifest itself in home charging, so that is not really something that needs comparing notes anyway.

I of course have no information whether or not you have a problematic charging port, just noting that AFAIK normally no extra effort is needed to operate Superchargers even with the U.S. port. So if you do have to use extra effort, that happens to be the (only) symptom of the charge port issue. It certainly is possible you have no issue and your description was related to something else like a problematic Supercharger. And naturally I have even less basis on telling you what you should do about it. :D So, consider it just FYI.

Plus, if you really want to get their attention, there's probably no better way to do it.

Historically speaking, posting on TMC seems to be the best way of reaching Tesla. We call it the TMC escalation. ;)

An update on this whole ordeal...

I contacted the Oakville SC to get the port replaced. They were gracious and fit me in for today - which was my first availability. At the time we booked I was told it would take about an hour to complete the repair.

Arrived and the car was taken in right away.

That was four hours ago.

Still sitting in the SC. Apparently they need to update the firmware before releasing the car due to the new charge port. They appear to be having problems doing so.

They just now suggested sending me home in a loaner and getting the car when they can update properly. There seems to be little concern that it’s a two hour round trip for me.

Needless to say my patience is starting to wear a little thin with this.....

I contacted the Oakville SC to get the port replaced. They were gracious and fit me in for today - which was my first availability. At the time we booked I was told it would take about an hour to complete the repair.

That was four hours ago.

Still sitting in the SC. Apparently they need to update the firmware before releasing the car due to the new charge port. They appear to be having problems doing so.

They just now suggested sending me home in a loaner and getting the car when they can update properly. There seems to be little concern that it’s a two hour round trip for me.

The firmware updates do take a long time. I have the same problem...more than two hours round trip. I have spent about 35 hours on the road taking mine in for problems. Now they are flat bedding a loaner to me and picking mine up on the flat bed to take back to the SVC tomorrow because as I told them...I just cant stomach another road trip to the SVC for more repairs. I hope your problems are short lived and few between.

That was four hours ago.

Do they have a supercharger in the service center there after all? It would definitely be more than nice for you to have the satisfaction of knowing that the new port works fine before finding out the hard way.

Reactions: Hornedfrog1
Not a pre-trip recommendation, a first time owner recommendation. Different, but again, just advice, you can deem it unreasonable and decide not to take the advice, that's fine. BTW, he said one hour each way, but I think he was using hyperbole to make a point. Almost not possible to be an hour away from this supercharger and 10 minutes from the new one being constructed.
Your map skills are failing you. He lives in cambridge Ontario Canada. There is a newly opened supercharger there that opened this week. The next closest supercharger is in Woodstock or Grimsby. They're each an hr from where the op lives. And then an hr home.

Picked up my shiney new Model S 75D on Dec 18th. Love the car. Love everything about it. With the exception of a small rattle on the driver’s side (which I’ll get taken car at a later date) the car is flawless.

I gush about it. I rave about it. I can’t wait to do the first road trip with the family in it.

First trip arrives today as we plan on leaving our place - in Cambridge Ont - to do a late Christmas at my parents house in Kingston Ont. It’s only an overnight trip due to work obligations - but the kids are excited. We need to make a stop along the way for a hockey game my daughter is playing in - but the navigation says a full charge followed by a 10 min stop at the Supercharger in Port Hope will get us to our destination with about 9% battery. Even my wife - who was against the purchase of the car due to range anxiety and delays from charging was impressed.

Until we hit Port Hope.

I couldn’t connect to the Supercharger. An orange ring and a could not connect was presented at the first stall.... and the second.... and the third... and the fourth....

I called Roadside who stated that it appeared that everything was fine with the car except that many cars with my build date have “tight charging ports” that often prevent them from connecting to the SC. It is apparently “a known issue”. He suggested wiggling it and hoping for the connection to take.

It didn’t.

After 30 mins of trying.

In the rain.

With not enough charge to get to our destination we found a public destination charger where we now sit for the next 90 mins to get enough charge to get us to Kingston. Except that we don’t have any charging solution there with the exception of a SC which we can’t seem to connect too.

Tesla strongly suggested we take the car to a service center for repair. Which we obviously can’t - as it’s too far away, isn’t open until Monday and in the complete opposite direction. Fear note though - they’ll log the concern in my file. Crisis averted (note: that’s sarcasm - they were of no help at all).

Thankfully a local B&B in Kingston is being kind enough to let us charge overnight despite the fact we won’t be staying there. That should get us enough of a charge to get to Toronto so that we can find a public charger to get us home.

Not the least bit thrilled with the situation - how is a cars inability to connect to a Supercharger something that gets by QC?

I guess I can take solice in the fact that my wife is too angry to speak to me and as such I don’t have to listen to her yelling....

Anyone encountered a similar problem and found a DIY solution?

Damn, emergency charging stop for 90 minutes with a pissed off wife.
Every minute of a late night 17 minute (notice I still remember the exact duration) charging stop in my Bolt during a recent road trip was bad with a ticked wife next to me..... couldn't imagine 90 minutes. Time must have felt like it stopped.

Your map skills are failing you. He lives in cambridge Ontario Canada. There is a newly opened supercharger there that opened this week. The next closest supercharger is in Woodstock or Grimsby. They're each an hr from where the op lives. And then an hr home.

Are they?

You are correct - my extreme use of hyperbole is skewing the situation. In reality I am about 50 mins from the Supercharger....