Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From Love to Hate in one Roadtrip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, for some reason the OP didn't want that. At least you and I agree on one thing.

Actually - the OP would have loved that option but it wasn’t presented to me.

I worked with the options I was given. Should I have been given more options I probably would have selected one - but I was basically told to find an alternative charging solution and get the car repaired as soon as possible.

Reactions: whitex
View attachment 276760 View attachment 276761 There is an extremely simple fix to this and it has nothing to do with when the car was built (mine was built in May 2017) or the fact that it was a supercharger. I had owned my car for several months and charged it at home without a single issue. For added convenience I installed a Tesla wall charger at my office. Upon plugging it in the first time I got the orange ring and an alert on the dash. I unplugged and back in a few dozen times and still the orange ring. I plugged it in with more force and less force.... still the orange ring. I scoured the TMC forums and there was no obvious solution. I did a Google search and after reading through 6 or 8 threads on the Tesla forum I finally found someone with the same problem and someone who suggested the solution that worked. I couldn’t believe it was so ridiculously simple... and it works every.... single.... time.

If you plug in the charger and you get the orange ring all that needs to be done is push down on the “heel” of the charger with moderate force and you’ll hear and feel a “click” after which the ring turns green.

I’m glad you found a solution but my concern is that there seems to be a lot of force placed right on the connection of the head and the cable itself. Since it’s a connection point it’s a weak point and could eventually snap. Just my two cents.

The real issue is that Tesla knew the OP’s car was likely impacted by the defect and should have gotten ahead of it. Maybe they were banking on him being one of the many consumers that would never use supercharging. When the OP did get stuck as a result, they - knowing the issue was out there and that they weren’t proactive about it - should have taken much better care of him.

This.

There is unfortunately plenty of history to speculate that Tesla's preference is keep building and delivering cars in-quarter, even with known issues, that they will then direct customers who ask to repair through Service.

Many of us certainly feel it would be better for Tesla to offer delay any deliveries and fix such issues beforehand, but that is not their style speculatedly due to the oversized preference to build and deliver cars within a quarter.

Reactions: Swift
But no, it’s not a design defect and the cult isn’t protecting Tesla from improving its quality.

I believe the prevailing theory over the years has been that a sort of excessively forgiving echo chamber has formed around Tesla, that has - the theory goes - made excuses for them and thus has shielded them from useful feedback too, which in turn might hurt them from improving in those areas. This is not a Tesla-only theory, it is a theory certainly prevalent around many highly popular brands and projects, such as Apple. (Mind you, this also means it is not necessarily any kind of hinderance for success. But it could be a hinderance for maximum customer satisfaction.)

I know I've sparred with many on the existence of this, so I definitely understand many also disagree with this, but IMO it is something I have believed for a long time. The goodwill Tesla's mission has rightfully generated has also, as a side effect, generated a lot of defensive postures in some of their followers that manifest themselves in things like admonishing the OP for not testing Supercharging connector size before on the road, instead of focusing on how (and most importantly why - quarterly pressures?) Tesla let a wrong-sized connector slip.

The contrary theory is that were more people focusing on Tesla letting that slip (and not on what OP should/could have done), it would encourage Tesla to improve better and faster, and thus resulting over time in a better and healthier company - as well as, of course, a better end-result for their customers. The theory IMO continues that this change in attitudes will happen anyway as the brand goes mainstream (think Model 3 hordes), so better be prepared. The wider world will not be as forgiving.

Basically the theory/idea boils down to this: It isn't a good thing to make Tesla feel they can "get away with" quality issues and fixing them later, because the customers are so forgiving, but to encourage them to be more pre-emptive in sorting those issues out, because they know the customers will hold them accountable.

Last edited:
I’m glad you found a solution but my concern is that there seems to be a lot of force placed right on the connection of the head and the cable itself. Since it’s a connection point it’s a weak point and could eventually snap. Just my two cents.
It’s not nearly the force you think... less than 5 lbs of downward force. I’ve done it by pushing down with just my index finger before. It’s all about pressure at the heel... anywhere else doesn’t do the trick.

I believe the prevailing theory over the years has been that a sort of excessively forgiving echo chamber has formed around Tesla, that has - the theory goes - made excuses for them and thus has shielded them from useful feedback too, which in turn might hurt them from improving in those areas.

I actually think this is happening to me, kind of a normalization of the Tesla experience. If I go to my car and the screen reboots now, I hardly notice, but during my first few months I was on the phone with the SC Manager. I guess at some point you end up deciding whether to live with the quirks and issues if you keep the car otherwise every day would be a bad day, and the car is really great when it is working properly :)

Might be the 5 stages of Tesla Ownership:

Excitement - This car is awesome, it is so fast and smooth --> First Major Issue (Note some never leave this phase)
Anger - This thing is a POS, and I hate it --> Issue rectified, but with some pain dealing with Tesla processes
Bargaining - If this thing has one more issue I will file for Lemon Law Protection --> Next Issue
Depression - I cannot believe I spent over $100k on this thing that is making me miserable and why does everyone at the SC know my name????
Acceptance - OK, I am willing to live with all the faults and I think I have the major issues fixed for the most part, now I just need periodic SC visits for rattles and to fix whatever the next FW version breaks.

I think I am probably at Stage 5 now with my S and Stage 4 with my X, moving to Stage 5.

Depression - I cannot believe I spent over $100k on this thing that is making me miserable and why does everyone at the SC know my name????

Even cars costing way more than $100,000 have issues.

if I were to generalise, I would say the less you spend on a car (getting say one of those super reliable Japanese cars for around $20,000) the less issues you would have.

I do understand its frustrating to pay 6 figures or more and have "issues," but such is the world we live in.

Reactions: Brian-MS90D
I actually think this is happening to me, kind of a normalization of the Tesla experience. If I go to my car and the screen reboots now, I hardly notice, but during my first few months I was on the phone with the SC Manager. I guess at some point you end up deciding whether to live with the quirks and issues if you keep the car otherwise every day would be a bad day, and the car is really great when it is working properly :)

Might be the 5 stages of Tesla Ownership:

Excitement - This car is awesome, it is so fast and smooth --> First Major Issue (Note some never leave this phase)
Anger - This thing is a POS, and I hate it --> Issue rectified, but with some pain dealing with Tesla processes
Bargaining - If this thing has one more issue I will file for Lemon Law Protection --> Next Issue
Acceptance - OK, I am willing to live with all the faults and I think I have the major issues fixed for the most part, now I just need periodic SC visits for rattles and to fix whatever the next FW version breaks.

I think I am probably at Stage 5 now with my S and Stage 4 with my X, moving to Stage 5.

After 7 years, I'm still on the first stage, Excitement.

If you feel the need to lubricate the connection, they make a product for that that can be found at auto supply stores or online.
https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-220...=1517332524&sr=8-3&keywords=dielectric+grease.

Notes: You should use this anytime you disconnect and reconnect an automotive waterproof connector to keep the seal soft and to repel water intrusion.
For an application like a EVSE, there is a side effect that isn't desirable though. It can collect sand and dirt like any grease can.

Haha. You'd have to be blind NOT to know it.

I'm actually the same. We show it in very different ways, but the love for driving and owning the car is shared. Not even issues in the car (let alone anything else that tends to overshadow the love for the product, say, on TMC... ;)) have diminished that. I had an excellent time with my Model S, and Model X is even better.

I'm not sure I'm always correctly heard on that point. But it is quite true.

Reactions: bonnie
My read is that Tesla just got a run of out of spec charger ports. When they realized this, they put in a plan to correct the situation, acknowledged the fact publicly and offered to replace the part free of charge. Owners developed their own work around by pressing harder or levering the nozzle.

Not sure if this part can be repaired in the field by Rangers, but that would certaintly make the repair more convient for owners.

Now people are free to trash their imperfection on forums like these, but to my eyes Tesla handled this pretty well.

My read is that Tesla just got a run of out of spec charger ports. When they realized this, they put in a plan to correct the situation, acknowledged the fact publicly and offered to replace the part free of charge. Owners developed their own work around by pressing harder or levering the nozzle.

That's the question, though, right... did they acknowledge it fast enough/properly enough? FWIW, it seems to have been known quite early by many owners, but are we aware of Tesla pointing out to the new owners or has it been up to them to be in touch?