Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From Models S to Model 3...Wow these cars are different!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an AWD Model 3 on order, and cancelled it for a great deal 2015 CPO Model S 85D with 18K miles a few weeks ago. They messed up my pickup in Tempe (I live in Denver) after my trade in was complete, and I was able to get a Performance Model 3 as a loaner for a week (still have it). Such a great car for what it is....insane acceleration, great feel, so much fun...totally worth the price tag. I'm still glad I opted for the S for size reasons with a young family, but man is this car fun.
Congrats on the soon-to-be-delivered 85D! :)

I drove a base Model S once. Wonderful car but too big for me. I drove a P85D Model S once. Truly amazing handling and quicker acceleration that even my Roadster.

But I would not give up my RWD Model 3 for even a P100D Model S.

You mean even if just a swap without you having to kick in extra funds?

I think you and everyone else reading my post understood what I meant. Sure, if someone offered to swap me my Model 3 for a brand new P100D Model S, or a Lambo or a Bugatti, I'd take the swap. Then I'd sell that and buy another Model 3. My point, which I know you and everyone else understood, was that I'd rather drive the Model 3 than any other car available today.

And BTW, polygraph machines are completely bogus, which is why most jurisdictions no longer accept them as evidence in court.

• Funny
Reactions: Canuck
I have both, and keeping both - they both have their qualities and wouldn't consider getting one for the other. The P3D+ drives like my previous 911, especially in mountain driving. The S is relaxing to drive - the 3 is fun like heck. Depends on where I'm going and the mood I'm in... Price wise they are nearly identical, so I do see the P3D+ as a better value as compared to the 75D, given its innate handling abilities and future options...

Really??? The Model 3 is enormous!

Look at all the bodies you can stack in the S!

A 3 is not Miata or S2000 sized but it infinitely has more utility.

Always some trade off somewhere. :)

B55E7809-B2E9-4E00-BB34-43B2E4F98559.jpeg

1) Daniel owned a Roadster.

Even compared to my Prius the Model 3 is enormous. (Though the Prius has more usable cargo space due to the shape of the liftback.)

ETA: The perfect size car for me was my old 1989 Honda Civic station wagon. Loads of cargo space in a car small enough to park and drive comfortably. I want a Tesla the size and shape of that car!

1) Daniel owned a Roadster.
2) Infinite? Really?

Yes, really. Like Tesla's P/E ratio after Q3 assuming its even green. It will have more digits than PI is solved.

;)

5 seat cars with cargo in front and cargo on back has more utility than an original Roadster/Lotus.

I would also say a Model 3 Performance is infinitely better than a Corvette ZL-1 but that's just my opinion. The main reason for a ZL-1 is matched by a M3P in a hurry to get to Costco..

Last edited:
The Roadster was not a utility car. But I could fit three grocery bags in the trunk. :) The Model 3 is more practical. I'm never going to need as much space as my 3 has. At half its size it would be big enough for me. I am so envious of folks who have the performance version. The only consolation is that it will eat tires. The Roadster eats tires, and the P3 has more torque than the Roadster. My 3 will not be quite as hard on tires as the P.

The Roadster was not a utility car. But I could fit three grocery bags in the trunk. :) The Model 3 is more practical. I'm never going to need as much space as my 3 has. At half its size it would be big enough for me. I am so envious of folks who have the performance version. The only consolation is that it will eat tires. The Roadster eats tires, and the P3 has more torque than the Roadster. My 3 will not be quite as hard on tires as the P.

Not too late to sell your RWD Model 3, and get 3P before the end of the year. Sounds silly but you won't lose that much as if you had gotten the 3P outright.

I would not. I purposely did not buy a S because I hate big cars. I wish the 3 was a little smaller, but at least it's a size I could live with. My R8 was the perfect size, IMHO.
Size is relative, I think. Where I live the Model S is a fairly small car compared to the full size trucks and brontosaurus class SUVs that dominate roads and parking lots:

Model S in Ouray parking lot2079sf 8-25-18.jpg

A really small car here would be a Prius, but they are very few and hard to see among all the trucks.