Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Bumper damage from shopping cart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Parked at grocery store on a windy day and came out to find this damage on my front bumper and a shopping cart leaning against my Model Y. I did file a claim with the store -- TBD.

It is wrapped in PPF, but it is freezing cold outside, so maybe self healing has not activated? Should I get out a hairdryer and warm it up? Should I try to buff it out? Should I take it back to my PPF shop and let them handle it & charge me?
PXL_20210202_194027160.jpg

in order of mildness/easy and assuming nothing is torn in the PPF:
- Microfiber rag thats just damp. Wipe.
- Microfiber rag with a bit of cleaner wax (Meguiars Cleaner wax, Nu Finish, whatever you have)
- Heat gun/hair dryer on very low, and several inches from the surface and constantly moving back and forth.

Unfortunately no sentry cam set up yet, but I did witness the same exact happen a second time while I was coming back to the car with the store manager after filing the complaint.

Thanks for the tips but it still looks more or less the same after wiping and hitting with the hairdryer, so I'll be taking it back to my PPF shop soon.

also, did your sentry cam pick up anything?

Lastly, this is why I always (zero exceptions) park far away from the cart corrals and typically far away from the entrance, in an end spot, next to no one else. (plus, the walking is good for me)

I often park in handicapped spots and am nervous about shopping carts because people seem to think that the area with the blue lines is a cart return area.

This thread is actually a good example of the other side of the PPF coin, from a value aspect.

If we calculate the initial cost of the PPF install on the bumper, then add on the cost to re-do the PPF on the bumper..

then factor in that its highly probable that if no PPF were in place, high chance the scuffs on the naked bumper didnt cut though the paint and as such, could have been buffed out via DA buffer and proper compound...

And even if touchup painting would have been required, cost of a GOOD detailer who is skilled with air spray touch up....

And when i factor in the condition of the front bumpers of so many high mileage Tesla loaner vehicles ive had (normal/not heavily chipped up)

It does make one wonder of the overall value, of PPF, especially on front ends...

• Informative
Reactions: TBrownTX and bicar
This thread is actually a good example of the other side of the PPF coin, from a value aspect.

If we calculate the initial cost of the PPF install on the bumper, then add on the cost to re-do the PPF on the bumper..

then factor in that its highly probable that if no PPF were in place, high chance the scuffs on the naked bumper didnt cut though the paint and as such, could have been buffed out via DA buffer and proper compound...

And even if touchup painting would have been required, cost of a GOOD detailer who is skilled with air spray touch up....

And when i factor in the condition of the front bumpers of so many high mileage Tesla loaner vehicles ive had (normal/not heavily chipped up)

It does make one wonder of the overall value, of PPF, especially on front ends...

There’s no way that damage wouldn’t have gone through to the plastic on the bumper. My PUP was hit by a cart and went all the way to black plastic. The damaged area was too big for touch up, so I had a paint shop spray just that section and blend for $500. The estimate from my regular shop was $2,200 with insurance or $1,700 cash for remove, refinish and replace. The factory bumper is about $1,200 painted installed from Tesla. I ended up going with PPF after the touch up because every rock chip on the front went straight through to the plastic or metal. This was after 1,400mi spread over 4 months.

Nice juxtaposition of an inconsiderate, jerk, a-hole being accosted by a self-righteous, priggish, a-hole. I guess I miss the public good in this. What the video guy might have done better was to just take it on himself to return the cart and let his lesson by by example rather than by harangue.

...nailed it. I totally agree with you. The haranguer just wouldn't let it go, and kept provoking an already provoked person. This is how people get punched, shot, etc. etc.

There’s no way that damage wouldn’t have gone through to the plastic on the bumper. My PUP was hit by a cart and went all the way to black plastic. The damaged area was too big for touch up, so I had a paint shop spray just that section and blend for $500. The estimate from my regular shop was $2,200 with insurance or $1,700 cash for remove, refinish and replace. The factory bumper is about $1,200 painted installed from Tesla. I ended up going with PPF after the touch up because every rock chip on the front went straight through to the plastic or metal. This was after 1,400mi spread over 4 months.

Sounds like the y bumper is far more expensive than the S. Had my S front bumper cover replaced by Tesla with brand new prepainted version for less than $700 total (object fell off of a truck in front of me and slammed into the bumper cover).

But either way, if we factor in two PPF jobs at $500 each, compared to one spray blend at $500, and potential at any time in the future for the new PPF to need replacing again at another $500...

Last edited:
This debate is difficult argue toward a goal of everyone in agreement.
Price vs. Value
For the client that wants to preserve the ORIGINAL paint as best as possible against minor damage like the above example and not have to deal with timely body shop repairs and repaints and blending and so on, PPF is perfect. PPF isn't intended to "save you money" under specific circumstances. It is designed to save your PAINT. That is exactly what it did in this shopping cart example.

on the other side of the coin, if the client had a $100 deductible with their insurance and did not have the PPF. The cost of repairing and repainting the bumper would only be $100 to the client, obviously cheaper than the PPF... but, it then has a carfax record of the damage/repair, and the car no longer has it's original paint, not to mention the time and hassle of taking it to a body shop. I bet the PPF shop had the vehicle done and back in the client's possession within a few days, on the long end.

We've had client that would care less if their car's body was scratched, chipped or dented and would never get PPF. That same client would then turn around and spend $8k on new aftermarket wheels and tires??! People put value in various places.

Determining if PPF is "worth it" is subjective. Each car owner has to determine that.

Just my 2 cents :)

Reactions: Laguna M3
Closing the loop here as a happy PPF customer. My PPF shop did a great job repairing my Model Y. They replaced the film on the front bumper, buffed it out, and charged me $400 for labor.

I went back to Costco for my weekly grocery run today, took my $400 receipt to the desk, and the manager reimbursed me for it after walking out to check out my model Y's sweet new bumper. He asked me a ton of questions about the car, as he is thinking about getting one for himself :)

Closing the loop here as a happy PPF customer. My PPF shop did a great job repairing my Model Y. They replaced the film on the front bumper, buffed it out, and charged me $400 for labor.

I went back to Costco for my weekly grocery run today, took my $400 receipt to the desk, and the manager reimbursed me for it after walking out to check out my model Y's sweet new bumper. He asked me a ton of questions about the car, as he is thinking about getting one for himself :)
Glad to hear that it ended well. I don't understand though why Costco felt they had any responsibility - how does that work?