Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Door operation without Premium package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

randy1077

Model X60->75 Vin 180XX. Model 3 Vin 074XX
I am getting ready to order but am conflicted over the premium package. The only feature I really want is the front door open and close feature using Fob/brake pedal/touch screen. I don't really care about the "auto present" aspect of the option.

I have already done the searches and found 2 people whom say that the "hit the brake, door closes" feature is still present WITHOUT the Premium package, but I got a conflicting answer from 2 different Tesla employees today saying that it is not included. Can anyone with a recent build confirm the operation of the front doors without the Premium package?

Thanks !

First off, congrats on the impending order. If you haven't applied a referral code please use mine to save yourself a $1000. Referral | Tesla

To answer your question, I can tell you as a non premium pkg X owner that all X's (early or late build) will allow for auto door driver door close when your foot is placed on the brake pedal. The key fob allows for all doors to close with a press on the top of the fob but non premium X owners cannot have driver door swing open with the key fob. You can however open both wings, trunk and frunk with the fob as a non premium owner. Of course, regardless of premium upgrade or not you can have all doors opened/closed from the 17" touchscreen.
Hope this helps.

I thought you can trigger the door open from the key fob without PUP, but it won't auto-present?
No that's just a perk of the premium package. Although a bug in the software allows for the door to swing open less than 10% of the time when you try to unlock the car with the fob but that's a bug tesla seems to have resolved as it hasn't happened to me in a while.... and I almost always unlock with fob on approach to the car.
Premium is the only way to get the door to pop open with the fob.

No that's just a perk of the premium package. Although a bug in the software allows for the door to swing open less than 10% of the time when you try to unlock the car with the fob but that's a bug tesla seems to have resolved as it hasn't happened to me in a while.... and I almost always unlock with fob on approach to the car.
Premium is the only way to get the door to pop open with the fob.

Ahh. Well 4500 bucks was way too much for a door to pop open when I approached it.

Model S owner (non-AP) thinking about ordering X. One question... not to hijack the thread but with PUP or without, when the front driver's door opens, does it *always* open at 45 degrees?
Here in Japan that would certainly hit the vehicle parked next to Model X. I'm wondering if I always have to stop the door by hand, right after auto present started (with PUP) or right after I click the door handle (without PUP).

Model S owner (non-AP) thinking about ordering X. One question... not to hijack the thread but with PUP or without, when the front driver's door opens, does it *always* open at 45 degrees?
Here in Japan that would certainly hit the vehicle parked next to Model X. I'm wondering if I always have to stop the door by hand, right after auto present started (with PUP) or right after I click the door handle (without PUP).
The front door uses the sensors located in the FWD to adjust opening. If there is an obstacle, it will try to avoid it. This works about 98% of the time to avoid obstacles. There are some occasions (with the current version software/hardware) where it will gently tap an obstacle before stopping. It's not 100% fool-proof yet, but it's surprisingly good.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
I am getting ready to order but am conflicted over the premium package. The only feature I really want is the front door open and close feature using Fob/brake pedal/touch screen. I don't really care about the "auto present" aspect of the option.

I have already done the searches and found 2 people whom say that the "hit the brake, door closes" feature is still present WITHOUT the Premium package, but I got a conflicting answer from 2 different Tesla employees today saying that it is not included. Can anyone with a recent build confirm the operation of the front doors without the Premium package?

Thanks !

Just double check the site when you order to really understand what you will NOT be getting without the PUP. Things like phone dock (not a biggie), LED lights on doors/cabin (kind of very nice at times), obviously the HEPA filter, etc. Enjoy!

I turned off the auto present doors on my extended test drive. Didn't want to deal with it hitting me or other cars but I didn't know that it had sensors to figure that all out. The sales guy (more like a jr sales guy) didn't have full info on how it worked but in the Model X Walkthrough video on the Tesla website, it explains it a bit better. Coming from the front and in between cars, the door will crack open and when you pass it, it'll open it fully.

Model X Walkthrough

• Helpful
The front door uses the sensors located in the FWD to adjust opening. If there is an obstacle, it will try to avoid it. This works about 98% of the time to avoid obstacles. There are some occasions (with the current version software/hardware) where it will gently tap an obstacle before stopping. It's not 100% fool-proof yet, but it's surprisingly good.
Thanks, @vandacca and @someTimesJoe! Oh, front doors can use FWD sensors... that would be great. I also watched the video about auto presenting doors.

Today was the Model X reveal day for reservation holders in Tokyo - first time to see in person and tried the doors. When I stand right next to the driver's door and clicked the door switch, it opened but hit me with some force. Does this mean "crack open" feature works only on auto present and it opens 45 degrees when the door switch?

Thanks, @vandacca and @someTimesJoe! Oh, front doors can use FWD sensors... that would be great. I also watched the video about auto presenting doors.

Today was the Model X reveal day for reservation holders in Tokyo - first time to see in person and tried the doors. When I stand right next to the driver's door and clicked the door switch, it opened but hit me with some force. Does this mean "crack open" feature works only on auto present and it opens 45 degrees when the door switch?
If you stand right next to the driver's door, the sensors on the FWD doors won't "see" you and hence the doors will open into you. There is a pressure sensor in the front doors that will stop, but as you say, there is some force applied before it actually stops. Therefore, this is one of the limitations with the current sensor suite - there are some "blind" spots where obstacles won't be seen. The same thing would apply if there was a vertical pole beside the front door.

The vehicle is not yet 100% autonomous, so you always need to be careful with whatever autonomous feature you use, whether it's driving or opening doors.

With the newer software updates the door has become extremely smart about hitting things. Its really great now.

Non PUP owners-
Can anyone explain with any clarity how the drivers door auto presents on fob double click 10% of time? It's happened to me as well and I can't reproduce the scenario. Happened just last week before .100 software upgrade. We clearly have software to open drivers door with fob but don't have understanding on its mechanics.

With the newer software updates the door has become extremely smart about hitting things. Its really great now.
Thanks. In my case I have *always* walls or other cars on my driver's side door, and if I open the door at 45 degrees it will 100% hit the wall or the car next.

So my question would be...

(1) I'm fine with auto present turned off, but I don't want to hit anything by automatic door.
(2) if there is NO obstacles detected, does the driver's door always open at 45 degrees?
(3) what is the possibility of the driver's door hitting some objects due to FWD sensor didn't detect obstacles? In other words, do I need to catch the driver's door every time I enter the car at home, at office, everywhere?

Thanks. In my case I have *always* walls or other cars on my driver's side door, and if I open the door at 45 degrees it will 100% hit the wall or the car next.

So my question would be...

(1) I'm fine with auto present turned off, but I don't want to hit anything by automatic door.
(2) if there is NO obstacles detected, does the driver's door always open at 45 degrees?
(3) what is the possibility of the driver's door hitting some objects due to FWD sensor didn't detect obstacles? In other words, do I need to catch the driver's door every time I enter the car at home, at office, everywhere?
Whenever I open the door with any obstacles nearby, I'm always ready to "catch it". My subjective feeling is that 39 times out of 40 it stops before hitting anything. You quickly learn where the blind spots are and when you need to be a little more careful. e.g. a bike handle-bar near the front door's opening path.