Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front doors stuck shut

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else have problems with the front doors getting stuck closed?

About once a week, I'll walk up to a locked and probably sleeping car, press the door handle and nothing will happen. If I open the FW doors, the display then shows the front doors open, but they are obviously physically closed and latched. Pulling the handle from the inside unlatches them, but then I have to fight the actuator to pull the door open.

SC has replaced both door latches which didn't help, but has never reproduced it outside of the videos I have sent, so there's not much they can do. I'm hoping someone else has this problem and knows what needs to be fixed.

Here's a video with limited swearing:

I’m having this trouble with the passenger front door. It started after a service visit. Opening the door from the inside works and a tug on that handle is required before the door will latch on close, otherwise it just bangs against the car when closed by pushing or with the screen button. Opening the door from the screen sometimes results in the motor trying and failing a few times, then the car thinks the car is open but it is not.

• Informative
Reactions: qadaemon
Someone had a similar situation months ago. I think the solution was a reboot of the doors. They said the service center did it by removing a panel in the frunk and in there was some switches or something that allowed them to reboot or re-calibrate the doors.

• Informative
Reactions: Gwgan
We had this exact same thing happen on the very first Model X we had in our shop. We thought we were just ignorant to some special trick to opening the front doors but found out it was this same issue. Not sure if the owner every had the issue resolved at a later date or not, but it sure freaked us out thinking we had done something to the car to cause this problem!