Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front End... Hmmmmmm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A nice family resemblance ... :cool:

m3-front-jpg.170325
Who's the family, Ed Norton from "The Italian Job?" :)

The original design of the "S" looks much better then the redesigned DUCK front. You can run with the rest of the pack
or be different and ahead of the pack. The model S had that unique look on par with the Jag XKE, RR, and Bentley. Now it's going to be an also ran. Just another electric with a SC network.
Hmm... I see the original nosecone on the S as a nod to the traditional look of automobiles. Employ a faux grille because people expect to see one. Because the Model S was such a radical car at the time, including that familiar design element probably was the right choice then. Now, Tesla is being "different and ahead of the pack" by reducing that non-functional anachronism to its barest minimum in the form of the "moustache" on the remodeled Model S.

When I first saw photos of the redesigned S, I had some reservations about the look. However, when I saw the car in real life, I thought it looked stunning! Now, when I see the original nosecone, it just seems antiquated.

The Model 3's front-end is simply the next step in the evolution of Tesla's bold and forward-looking designs. For BEVs, faux grilles will go the way of tailfins of yore.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
I'm 100% ok with the front end. It's the taillights I am not so sure about. Every time I see them, I see the 2006 Honda Civic. Obviously they're not the same, and the Tesla taillights look much nicer, but the overall shape reminds me of it. I never liked those taillights on the Civic (which used to be a favorite car of mine).

lgxAiLj.jpg

I like the shape but te led stripe in it is a bit too thick.
De led stripes of the new mercedes "C" or "CLA" are much more sophisticated.
The M3 taillights need a little bit of work on the inside.
I'm sure they will be tweaked a bit, because they still have to incorporate the charging port to the left rear tail light assembly. But remember, they still have to locate a high, center brake light somewhere. I don't remember seeing one in the videos from the Model ☰ Reveal Part I.

But remember, they still have to locate a high, center brake light somewhere. I don't remember seeing one in the videos from the Model ☰ Reveal Part I.
I hadn't thought of that, but you're right. I would think that the least-expensive option would be just inside the rear window, at the bottom edge of the rear window. You don't need to add any holes to the body panels, and you can't screw up the rear seat headroom by attaching it at some higher point.

If the size is okay, some vehicles make the emblem on the decklid into a CHMSL. {IIRC, the Cadillac Allante did that.} Perhaps lighting the Tesla logo on the tail, if done right would be attractive.
That's what I'm going to do. Either Tesla is going to light the logo... or I am.

I also plan to light "A" front one. If Tesla does not match the front logo with the MS and MX....I'm going to put a lighted logo on the front also.