Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front End... Hmmmmmm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't like the front design since the reveal; still don't. I'm sure this is NOT the case, but it gives me the impression the design team was approaching a deadline, the front was the last oustanding piece and it was just thrown together. It looks like an unfinished design. I read in a few threads "fish lips", and this seems to fit for me.

They TOTALLY got the front end right with the Model S & X... sleek, understated and stunning. The Model 3 is just.... blah & ugh. I like everthing else about the Model 3 and feel I need to "hold my nose" with the [unfinished] front design. Stated differently, the Model S & X designs are perfect. The Model 3 design is almost perfect with the exception of the front... hence the existance of this discussion topic.

You can always go for one of those grille stickers to give it more of a face.

Personally, I loved the prototype front end. You know, if you don't end up getting one then the front end won't matter, because all you'll be seeing is taillights :cool:

I see the new MS and MX "grille" as too apologetic and wimpy. The M3 should show the way by being clean and smooth, which is what I think the S and X will be by 2018. Admittedly, the sculpture of the front could be improved somewhat with a little tweaking. Yes, we all want to be art directors.

Reactions: plankeye
I see the new MS and MX "grille" as too apologetic and wimpy. The M3 should show the way by being clean and smooth, which is what I think the S and X will be by 2018. Admittedly, the sculpture of the front could be improved somewhat with a little tweaking. Yes, we all want to be art directors.
The S and X won't be grill-less by 2018. Car manufacturers typically refresh their models every 4 or so years, and this is what was done with the Model S already. No chance the S/X get a facelift after 2 years.

Reactions: TaoJones

They still make bondo for ya.

I love the new look.

• Funny
Reactions: Red Sage and JeffK
The S and X won't be grill-less by 2018. Car manufacturers typically refresh their models every 4 or so years, and this is what was done with the Model S already. No chance the S/X get a facelift after 2 years.
Correct, it won't get a face-lift, it will get a whole redesign, because it will be 6 years old by then. No mfr (except for maybe GM) lets their cars go any more than 5 years between full redesigns any more.

The Model 3 is a beautiful car but upon reveal I still had to think about the design, and eventually it grew on me. It just doesn't strike me with that instant wow factor that I see in other car designs, as in I gotta have it. Although I hope to be proven wrong when I see one in person! I used to think the X was ugly until I saw one on the road.

The Model 3 is a beautiful car but upon reveal I still had to think about the design, and eventually it grew on me. It just doesn't strike me with that instant wow factor that I see in other car designs, as in I gotta have it. Although I hope to be proven wrong when I see one in person! I used to think the X was ugly until I saw one on the road.

Sounds about right, though I didn't think the X was ugly based on pictures. Still haven't seen one in person.

Honestly I felt the same way about the S the first time I saw it in pictures. When I saw one in person it completely changed my outlook. I am still not that fond of the X but I love the way the 3 looks now even though I really was disappointed by the front when I first saw it. I really think it is one of those designs that is almost shocking at first but as you get used to it it becomes timeless.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
Honestly I felt the same way about the S the first time I saw it in pictures. When I saw one in person it completely changed my outlook. I am still not that fond of the X but I love the way the 3 looks now even though I really was disappointed by the front when I first saw it. I really think it is one of those designs that is almost shocking at first but as you get used to it it becomes timeless.
I will never get used to this pic:

CR-Cars-II-2018-Tesla-Model-3-silver-pr-4-16.jpg

*shudder*

Reactions: TaoJones
How would you feel if this Aston Martin didn't have a grille?

That is a great illustration of what's possible for an honest expression of form and Cd function. The M3 has eliminated the grille already, so all that's left is to connect the creases under the headlights to the main top edge in one clean smooth line. This approach would generate some major magic incorporating both grace and an aggressive statement for the future. I love it!

If there is no need for a radiator grill, then why bother having 2 separate headlights? I've had this in mind long before Faraday Future's FF Zero reveal. Tesla should do the same to fill that awkward gap that shouldn't even exist. Lack of design innovation is a bit disappointing, although I'm sure the Tesla team has good reasons for holding back on this front.

FFZERO-3.jpg

True, but still there's no need to separate them. Anyways, that gap on the Model 3 should be better utilized somehow than merely a placeholder for the front license plate. ;) A uni-headlight design shouldn't be ruled out, although I'm sure we can come up with more innovative ideas like maybe a huge autopilot sensor, or battery ejection panel, or giant bug zapper, or exterior front airbag, or force field, or whatever... :D I mean, is a blank space truly the best we can expect from the lead innovator of the auto industry?!

Last edited:
True, but still there's no need to separate them. Anyways, that gap on the Model 3 should be utilized better somehow than merely a blank placeholder for the front license plate. ;) A uni-headlight design shouldn't be ruled out, although I'm sure we can come up with more innovative ideas like maybe a huge autopilot sensor, or battery ejection panel, or force field, or exterior front airbag or whatever... :D I mean, is a blank space truly the best we can expect from the lead innovator of the auto industry?!
Maybe it's blank BECAUSE of the huge new autopilot sensors.