Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front End... Hmmmmmm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my favorite "fix" seems to account for the lines of the car but the smoothing of the duck lip that (to me) looks like a kit car that was supposed to receive a grill but the designer opted for leaving it out. I pulled this image from a few days ago from here while someone was posting different renderings....this one is perfect (continuing the line at the fenders though the nose so its not completely rounded).

I can't imaging anything functional that is causing that awful front end design (I say awful but still put a deposit down on one hoping they will change it).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 8.58.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 8.58.03 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 134
Reactions: boiler81
The rounded/smoothed look doesn't go with the rest of the styling though. There are sharp creases on the top of the fender crown and sides so would really look out of place.

I like the front end as it currently is.

Agree. Was typing the same thing when I saw your post. The smoothed/rounded bumper looks out of place when every other line on the car is a nice sharp crease.

Can some kind soul here photoshop the black strip grill off the Model X?

Since it looks like the 3's lines match up with the X, just with the grill removed, I'd be curious to see how the X looks with the 3 nose.

Here are a couple pictures I found to choose from. Tried to stick with silver since that's the most prominent 3 image floating around that people are shopping.

attachment-php-attachmentid-105896-jpg.162853

attachment-php-attachmentid-102981-jpg.162848

Tesla-Model-X-Silver-1.jpg

a980c453fb8bbdf3f1624981ec259bd6-jpg.166008

silver-model-x-front-fwd-open-jpg.107530

my favorite "fix" seems to account for the lines of the car but the smoothing of the duck lip that (to me) looks like a kit car that was supposed to receive a grill but the designer opted for leaving it out. I pulled this image from a few days ago from here while someone was posting different renderings....this one is perfect (continuing the line at the fenders though the nose so its not completely rounded).

I can't imaging anything functional that is causing that awful front end design (I say awful but still put a deposit down on one hoping they will change it).

I hope Tesla offer the attached nose with the performance option. It should be doable to offer a bumper clip to make the conversion.

Attachments

• M3 Sport nose 2016-04-05 at 8.58.03 AM.png
    M3 Sport nose 2016-04-05 at 8.58.03 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 82
View attachment 171156
I think on many photos the front end looks pretty high and is also making the nose look larger. Looking at this picture I think the front end will be pretty good looking
The side profile makes me appreciate the original design. The pointed front edit makes it look too much like a Chevy Camaro or Corvette. Tesla needs an original styling, and this picture really shows it off as something that looks more high end than it is.

Since it looks like the 3's lines match up with the X, just with the grill removed, I'd be curious to see how the X looks with the 3 nose.

Here are a couple pictures I found to choose from. Tried to stick with silver since that's the most prominent 3 image floating around that people are shopping.

attachment-php-attachmentid-105896-jpg.162853

attachment-php-attachmentid-102981-jpg.162848

Tesla-Model-X-Silver-1.jpg

a980c453fb8bbdf3f1624981ec259bd6-jpg.166008

silver-model-x-front-fwd-open-jpg.107530

I already did here: Grill Me!

Here is a model x with a nose job. It's a quick edit, not trying perfection here. Note that on MX the frunk lid goes all the way to the edge of the nose.

SyldUSH.jpg

Nice, just trying to see if the X looks "off" with a similar nose job.

It actually doesn't look half bad. Still a little jarring, but I think the frunk line makes all the difference. Is that why the 3 looks strange? Because there are effectively two design lines?

Or... maybe this is it: the snub nose serves no functional purpose but it looks like it should. This could contribute to the "unfinished" look. Hmm...

Hate to burden you further, but when you get the time, can you try to tackle some of the other views, particularly the head-on view? No pressure, no rush, just curious and I think your shop jobs are better than most on here!

Here ya go

4cko0Te.jpg
Definitely bland... but then again, the 3 doesn't look much different. I guess what the 3 has going for it is a smaller overall profile. The snub is closer to the bottom intake so there's less blank space. Also some more aggressive lines under the headlights give it a sharper, "crisper" feel. Hood is flatter so it appears slimmer.

Sharp frunk lines don't help, either. If you're gonna go the grill-less route, Tesla did the right thing by detaching the snub from the frunk.

Man I don't know. The 3 still looks empty.

p4010518-1.jpg

4cko0Te.jpg

Yeah, there's probably something really subtle, almost imperceptible design detail in there that makes some folks to go "ewww".

It's fun to speculate it though, not that it makes much difference. Here's how it would look if the flat nose area was a little bit smaller. Hmmmm.

bO6WgEH.jpg

Reactions: eisbock