Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front End... Hmmmmmm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the only reason they put the 'stache on the MS is because it originally had a full-blown nosecone. They didn't want to stray too far from that on the update, as to hopefully not freak too many people out with a huge change like completely making the nose smooth. Whereas before it had a large part of it covered with the nosecone and 'stache above it.

Therefore, I don't think they will even put a 'stache on the 3. It sounds as if they will tweak the current shape a bit, but they definitely will not put even a 'stache on it. And for that, I'm very glad. I just hope whatever tweaks they do are for the better. Because a lot of us are already really warming up to the "revealed" nose. And, we have a LOT more time to grow even that much more fond of it. So, again, if they do tweak it, it better be good.

Reactions: int32_t
To be fair, grills really aren't that necessary on vehicles today. The car cools just fine with the lower air intakes as evidenced in numerous production cars, namely Porsche. Tesla has these same intakes for cooling.

So what's the big deal? Why does everybody seem to think grill = ICE? Isn't it quite obvious that it's used as a style element these days that just so happens to provide a useful function? Like a bonus of sorts. Another bonus is that people like the way it looks. They like cars to have faces and personalities, probably because the drivers have those same things! Sure, you can make the argument that we're conditioned to like grills, but it doesn't detract from the fact that it's a stylistic choice and helps separate from other cars. The way I see it, going grill-less is more of a gimmick that screams "I AM ELECTRIC AND DIFFERENT LOOK AT ME"

You could slap an engine in the 3 and it would likely perform just fine. I guess I don't understand the rabid fanaticism with getting rid of everything on the front entirely. If that's the case, you all should be pushing to remove the bottom intakes as well.

Elon has stated before, even 1mm makes a big difference when it comes do CD.

Since range is arguably the biggest fear (for lack of a better word) that most people have relative to EV's, it is all but a requirement that EV makers work on the aerodynamics of the car, since that is one (fairly easy) way to increase range, especially at higher speeds, where range can get reduced dramatically.

So, yes, an EV could have a grill just like an ICE, but for the reason above, it's best that they don't. If they do have a grill, it needs to be like the MS grill, where it is smooth, and therefore really fake and not a grill at all. The reason for that is that it if was a real grill, the wind going through the grill and going into the area behind the grill causes fairly considerable wind resistance. Yes, that wind could be routed to places to aid in cooling and potentially duct-ed out fairly smoothly, but not without a lot of design work and unnecessary waste of space behind the bumper.

Now, the lower grill is a different story, it is low, therefore the wind can pass straight through it to the brakes or wherever it needs to go quite easily and without interfering with any other aspects of the car (looks, space, etc.).

Reactions: Red Sage
I'll admit, the pig snout has grown on me slightly, but only at certain angles. Some angles, like that promo shot of S3X... and I lose my breath a little. Yikes.

Still not thrilled with the front-on view (and +/- 15°). This is the view most people will be seeing as you cruise up in their rear view mirror, and this is the view I want to look awesome. At least it looks mean and angry right now.

I was really bent out of shape about the front when it was unveiled. I really think it was a gut reaction that was negative. Now that I keep seeing more press photos it really has grown on me. There have been several cars in the past that had the same effect. After I saw them in person and got used to the crazy design I really grew to like them. Same for the Model 3.

Reactions: int32_t and garsh
This is the view most people will be seeing as you cruise up in their rear view mirror, and this is the view I want to look awesome.

Remember that most photos is taken from a low angel, like a child would see it. People walking by and seeing it in their rear view mirror will see down on it from a bit above. And that helps. In my opinion: a lot.

Yes, I was also negative on this nose after the unveiling, but after I realized this it has grown on me. I will still prefer some of the photo-shop customizations of the nose, but I would not mind it if it is as it is. But please no mustache...

I also have grown to somewhat like the nose, especially on the Midnight Silver.

Out of curiosity, can someone photoshop some plates onto it. Since for most of us plates on the car will be what we see every day. Especially some Colorado plates. Thanks!

Remember that most photos is taken from a low angel, like a child would see it. People walking by and seeing it in their rear view mirror will see down on it from a bit above. And that helps. In my opinion: a lot.

Yes, I was also negative on this nose after the unveiling, but after I realized this it has grown on me. I will still prefer some of the photo-shop customizations of the nose, but I would not mind it if it is as it is. But please no mustache...
This is a view people will see when you're a few lanes over. Yikes.
gallery-3.jpg

This is a view people will see when you're behind them. "Why are those lines so weird?"
tesla-model-3-design-prototype--reveal-event--march-2016_100551186_m.jpg

Again:
screen%20shot%202016-03-31%20at%2011.58.22%20pm.png

Fortunately, the (matte) black sort of hides the wonky lines, but you'd have to be an idiot to get matte paint, so that's out of the question.

Hills are a thing, and cresting a hill behind somebody will most certainly give them this view:

add.png

Not to mention, the farther away you are from something, the smaller the angle gets and the more the car will look like the above.

Honestly, the 3 has more bad angles than good when the front is visible, and that is a little worrying.

And that helps. In my opinion: a lot.
The fact that you say this is worrying as well. A car should look good from all angles. You shouldn't need "help" making it look better, especially if that help is a different angle, because the car will inevitably be seen from all angles. You can't hide the angles you don't like, and you yourself have admitted that you don't like some angles. That there is so much controversial discussion about the front shows a fundamental problem with the design.

In my opinion the front end of the Model 3 isn't that different than the front end of the Model S. If you look at the new Model S and imagine it without the mustache, it has the same sort of upturned nose as the Model 3. I am assuming that this basic design is giving them some distinct advantage in regards to drag coefficient.

Dan

This is a view people will see when you're a few lanes over. Yikes.
gallery-3.jpg

This is a view people will see when you're behind them. "Why are those lines so weird?"
tesla-model-3-design-prototype--reveal-event--march-2016_100551186_m.jpg

Again:
screen%20shot%202016-03-31%20at%2011.58.22%20pm.png

Fortunately, the (matte) black sort of hides the wonky lines, but you'd have to be an idiot to get matte paint, so that's out of the question.

Hills are a thing, and cresting a hill behind somebody will most certainly give them this view:

add.png

Not to mention, the farther away you are from something, the smaller the angle gets and the more the car will look like the above.

Honestly, the 3 has more bad angles than good when the front is visible, and that is a little worrying.

The fact that you say this is worrying as well. A car should look good from all angles. You shouldn't need "help" making it look better, especially if that help is a different angle, because the car will inevitably be seen from all angles. You can't hide the angles you don't like, and you yourself have admitted that you don't like some angles. That there is so much controversial discussion about the front shows a fundamental problem with the design.

Then again, this is all personal opinion. I feel exactly the opposite. I love the way it looks - every picture you posted looks great to me.

Reactions: Red Sage