Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front half shaft replacement instructions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What mileage and do you have any warranty Ieft? I don't and I wanted to confirm mine wasn't a random exception because of my good looks.

Well I can answer that - I'm fat and ugly, but just dropped my 2016 X (battery and drive unit warranty only) this morning and had all of a 2 minute test ride with the tech before he said "YUP that's the halfshafts"....

And check the evidence! $350 for the work plus tax, no diag silliness. The diagnostics HAD been on there for $245, but they cleared that off. The service writer was wibbling a bit and getting advice from the adults, he questioned if I was the original owner (I'm not) and I said that, and that to my knowledge from the previous owner that A: No work had been done under any recall on the car, B: The car was very much subject to SEVERAL recalls, and C: Tesla's computers don't show any pending recalls OR that any recalls had previously been performed with any other owner either.

So where are the recalls (like for the roof spine!) in their system? I just wonder if Tesla "accidentally" deletes any recall applications from vehicles that aren't with the original owners any longer. It's odd.

The service writer said that if this HAD been performed previously, then they would have been charging full rate.... But since this was the first time, then it would be according to the instructed pricing. I find this curious - b/c while these are supposed to be updated parts, this is STILL A FLAW even on the current models, and it isn't like any previous replacements would have solved the design flaw until (and hopefully) these new parts do! Why would that somehow be my problem to pay more for a repeat attempt to solve a design issue?

Sometimes the (lack of) logic from the service writers is just mind boggling.

ANYWAY, for those that will follow.... Use this: The updated TSB linked elsewhere in this thread has a billing instruction on it now, and this invoice (and m5James' invoice) show that YES they REALLY DO charge only $350 for this. Everyone should do this!

Screen Shot 2023-05-25 at 12.31.45 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-05-25 at 12.32.11 AM.png

Okay, reffering to the service bulletin in The Netherlands also works. See enclosed invoice.
The also found some issues with the fore link Assembly and the i shaft, which is quite expensive :( any suggestions or other service bulletins I can throw at them?
Also my Fwd seal is loose, they would charged me 950 euro ex tax for changing the seal.... Sounds bananas, right? They told me the seal is a part of the glass. I think I am just going to glue it back or something... Any suggestions?

Screenshot_20230526_005155_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Attachments

• 20230520_120755.jpg
    20230520_120755.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 171
Reactions: m5james
@m5james - thanks for sharing this info, I'm going to submit a request for the TSB repair on the halfshafts as mine have started making noise (2017 MX P100D).

What did you do or say for the $180 balljoints? Is there a TSB for that (or maybe it's covered by the same one)? My left upper control arm is creaking so it would be great to get that done as well.

Thanks in advance!
Sorry, I haven't been on here lately. The balljoints were outta pocket but the whole job was around $500 for everything I had done, including the halfshafts and clevis.

Okay, reffering to the service bulletin in The Netherlands also works. See enclosed invoice.
The also found some issues with the fore link Assembly and the i shaft, which is quite expensive :( any suggestions or other service bulletins I can throw at them?
Also my Fwd seal is loose, they would charged me 950 euro ex tax for changing the seal.... Sounds bananas, right? They told me the seal is a part of the glass. I think I am just going to glue it back or something... Any suggestions?

View attachment 941036
Yup, TSB says right on the top "Country/Region: All"

Just to add one more data point. I booked an appointment at SC for the left front area noise. I thought it was sway bar links. But the SC diagnosed as the left air spring module and half shaft and quoted for such replacement. When I went to pick up the car a day later and asked the lead mechanics what was the going on. He told me that the noise is from the air spring module and the half shaft is replaced by bulletin SB-39-21-001. The front desk quoted the wrong price before. I did not know about the bulletin and am happy to save the cost. my car is 2016 MX and 85K+ miles. It is out of warranty.

Hope others can take advantage of it.

See discussion on the other thread for noise recording and symptoms. strange noise in the front of 2016 Model X

Very happy to find this thread as my S has the same vibration (again). The issue I have with the SB is that last year I had the same problem and instead of receiving the updated parts I got the old Left side, even if the bulletin was active. The work was done on ESA, not sure if I should mention the wrong parts being installed 30k miles ago.

Very happy to find this thread as my S has the same vibration (again). The issue I have with the SB is that last year I had the same problem and instead of receiving the updated parts I got the old Left side, even if the bulletin was active. The work was done on ESA, not sure if I should mention the wrong parts being installed 30k miles ago.
Be careful, some SC’s will not install the motor mounts. They’ll claim that your bushings are still good. Leaving you to end up with the same issue again.

Be careful, some SC’s will not install the motor mounts. They’ll claim that your bushings are still good. Leaving you to end up with the same issue again.
Not saying they wouldn't do that, but it makes no sense why they would. A bad clevis mount causes the shafts to go bad as well, there's no expiration date on the TSB at the moment, so they'd literally be causing more work for themselves.

I took my 2019 X in re an oily fluid my loal mechanic found under front differential. They mentioned the bulletin and said the half shafts needed to be replaced even though I had the done last year under my ESA. Since there was a bulletin I didn’t expect to even pay the ESA mandated deductible of $200. when I picked up the I was charged the deductible, told it wasn’t a recall but a Safty advisory and it had been my choice to replace them even though I wasn’t given a choice and therefore had to pay . The service rep told me a number of stories ranging from the replacement wasn’t covered My ESA, and the cost of the repair would have been between $500 and $1700. She quoted different prices at different times. The invoice only listed costs of minor parts totaling $49 and no cost for half shafts or a or. Bottom line: if you had the half shafts replaced and have an ESA did any of you pay the $200?

I own a 2016 Model X P90D. I always had a shutter under hard acceleration. After noticing the Service Bulletin SB-21-39-001 on the shutter under acceleration, I took it into my service center and they repaired it as well as stated that it would cost me $350. I have 78,000 miles on the vehicle, 2nd owner and the Drive Unit Limited Warranty expires on 3/19/24. My question is should this have been covered under the Drive Unit Warranty? Btw, it is smooth as silk now. I can't believe the difference.

Attachments

• tesla half shafts.PNG
    tesla half shafts.PNG
    223.2 KB · Views: 103
I own a 2016 Model X P90D. I always had a shutter under hard acceleration. After noticing the Service Bulletin SB-21-39-001 on the shutter under acceleration, I took it into my service center and they repaired it as well as stated that it would cost me $350. I have 78,000 miles on the vehicle, 2nd owner and the Drive Unit Limited Warranty expires on 3/19/24. My question is should this have been covered under the Drive Unit Warranty? Btw, it is smooth as silk now. I can't believe the difference.
No. The half shafts are not part of the Drive Unit. They attach to it, but are not part of it.

Hi guys, im new but have been browsing for some time, my car is exhibiting the same issue as everyone else and I put in a service with Tesla mention this Service Bulitin, and got an estimate of $1495.

Do i accept the estimate and mention the service bulletin when I drop off the car or when repair has been completed ?

Do not accept the estimate. Go to the appointment armed with the specific TSB to hit them with, point out that the TSB has billing instructions within it. Also make them remove the nonsense 1 hour "diagnostic fee" (profit line) because it will take less than 1 minute of a test drive to confirm the diagnosis that YOU had to do for them already.

Why should they get to add profit for you having to do their job for them, AND push to get proper billing?

Reactions: m5james
Yes, that seems to be one of the initial stages. I was not having vibrations either, but when driving straight, suspension on medium... If you gave it a heavy foot from a stop, it would instantly clickclickclickclickclick as you launched.

Service test drive with the tech driving was over in less than 30 seconds - most of which was spent leaving the parking lot. As soon as he punched it, heard the clicking, he let out of it and said YUP that's the half shafts.

I didn't always hear it on turns, but you are flexing the CVs at that point and if there are any issues they are going to make noise when at extreme angles. They REALLY don't like being at extreme angles AND under power too.

Reactions: m5james and njhtran
Do not accept the estimate. Go to the appointment armed with the specific TSB to hit them with, point out that the TSB has billing instructions within it. Also make them remove the nonsense 1 hour "diagnostic fee" (profit line) because it will take less than 1 minute of a test drive to confirm the diagnosis that YOU had to do for them already.

Why should they get to add profit for you having to do their job for them, AND push to get proper billing?
So I dropped it off last Friday and the service center statutes that the estimates will be adjusted when it's completed, and should be 350....well today they sent a new estimates and it is over 3k....

It looks like my issues is more than just half shafts.... is this accurate that you guys can see ?

I wasn't expecting it to be double of the estimates....

Also if I do t approve the estimates jow works tehu repair it ? 3k isn't chump change for me I guess...

Thanks for your inputs....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231127_131511_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20231127_131511_Drive.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 71
So I called them, and Tesla already replaced the half shaft components but said that the wheel hub is making low subtle sound at speed and that my alignment is not true.

So they want to replace the wheel hub, as well as items that needed to correct alignment.

Asked if these things are related/caused by the half shalf... Tesla rep said he will get more info from the tech for me. As far as pricing goes, I wanted to at least (1) deduct the cost of the half shaft and diagnostic fees (2) whether I can still drive with the hub noise, which is very low and not noticeable until I get funds .

That's about it. Over all everyone was very nice and answered/forwarded my questiojs to the right persons