Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front half shaft replacement instructions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately the one time I got an email address, it came from the local level management and was for Florida.

Also - and this may be the result for many people - it went unanswered. Emailing to resolutions@tesla also went into the great nothingness, which seems to be the corporate methodology. Just mistreat the customer and ignore them when they complain.

That "hour" of diagnosis is just an added profit line by that service center, and is NOT in accordance with the TSB directions, nor is it appropriate "because people need to get paid" as they are being paid by the company for hourly labor - they do not make any more money for that 2 minute test ride and 58 minutes of working on someone else's vehicle. The service center was incorrect in applying that. The manager of the service center should have done better training for the underlings if it is still the gentleman I met at that location who had been sent from Denver to increase the quality for the region.
I'm inclined to believe you; however, reading how customer problems and complaints can be thrown into a void, I decided to call it good enough and count my lucky stars.

Other people's experience helped me avoid paying $2k for this service, and hopefully, my experience helps people stand their ground on paying additional charges on top of the TSB pricing.

Just bought my 3rd Tesla this week - a late 2017 model (July '17) MX 100D. Thing is in immaculate shape with literally every option, including FSD and trailering. However, it's already starting the shudder only 2 days into ownership (didn't notice it during the private party test drive). I'm in Denver area with Littleton SC closest. I've printed the TSB and will be ready to go once I schedule the service for next week.

Anyone had any experience with this TSB pricing at the Littleton SC?

Not specifically - however the manager I referenced in the previous post had come from the Denver region and claimed (ok it was only his word) that the Denver region has some of the most satisfied customer reviews in the country.

Hopefully your experience will back that up. Good luck, I'm hoping for you.
Well, they couldn't track down a low groaning sound coming from the front of my Model S, even after 4 visits. So I just live with it when driving 71-78 mph.

I'll chime back in when I get through the process, however!

A low groaning sound is almost 100% a wheel bearing. Luckily they are easy to replace and are the same whether you have the dual motor or the RWD. Don't waste money at the service center for something that easy. If you can do a brake job, you are already 90% of the way into the bearing replacement.

The image looks like the RWD only version (no hole in the center) so contact them to ask - the Bodeman units are universal for the S or X prior to 2020

Reactions: acoburn73
A low groaning sound is almost 100% a wheel bearing. Luckily they are easy to replace and are the same whether you have the dual motor or the RWD. Don't waste money at the service center for something that easy. If you can do a brake job, you are already 90% of the way into the bearing replacement.

The image looks like the RWD only version (no hole in the center) so contact them to ask - the Bodeman units are universal for the S or X prior to 2020
The supplier responded and said they are in fact the same for dual motor. Thanks for the info. Tesla did replace a rear hub claiming that was the source of the noise, but I left and of course it was still there. That's when I just gave up on incessant service appointments when they couldn't figure out the source.

I can install these myself.

Reactions: unfaix and geordi
Not specifically - however the manager I referenced in the previous post had come from the Denver region and claimed (ok it was only his word) that the Denver region has some of the most satisfied customer reviews in the country.

Hopefully your experience will back that up. Good luck, I'm hoping for you.
Just had the joy of dealing with the Littleton "service manager", guy named Andy. He refused to accommodate $350 for the TSB on the front half shafts. Then I had a mobile guy come out yesterday to reprogram fobs because the service center forgot to tell me that to pair a new fob and keep original fobs paired, I'd need to bring them all in with the car, so the first two fobs were booted from the car. The guy that came out said this Andy character isn't the service manager, but the location general manager, and knows nothing about service.

So I've set up another appointment to get this shudder fixed at the $350 TSB correction price spoken about often in this thread. This time I'm supplying a copy of the TSB, and two of the images of folks' $350 cost here on this thread. I'll also be putting the link in the chat so they can browse this thread themselves.

I'm going to get this fixed for $350 if I have to take it to a different service center!

Reactions: Fiver and geordi
Just had the joy of dealing with the Littleton "service manager", guy named Andy. He refused to accommodate $350 for the TSB on the front half shafts. Then I had a mobile guy come out yesterday to reprogram fobs because the service center forgot to tell me that to pair a new fob and keep original fobs paired, I'd need to bring them all in with the car, so the first two fobs were booted from the car. The guy that came out said this Andy character isn't the service manager, but the location general manager, and knows nothing about service.

So I've set up another appointment to get this shudder fixed at the $350 TSB correction price spoken about often in this thread. This time I'm supplying a copy of the TSB, and two of the images of folks' $350 cost here on this thread. I'll also be putting the link in the chat so they can browse this thread themselves.

I'm going to get this fixed for $350 if I have to take it to a different service center!
Just a follow up. I sent this forum link and also two invoices from other owners that had this work done this year for $350. Late yesterday, Tesla responded to my service request with an estimate for the work - $350 + $28 taxes! Getting it done Saturday and will finally be rid of this vibration.

Just because someone willingly paid the $1700 doesn't mean they should have. Once again, I asked in person last summer about how much it costs to have the work done and I decided to wait and do the work myself later down the road. At no point did they they give me the information about the TSB on their own accord, but once it was presented to them, boom...I'm only paying $350 which I've provided a screenshot of on my WAY out of warranty vehicle.

Now whether someone else wants to use that TSB and hold the SC's feet to the fire is on them. Spend enough time on the forums and it'll be quite common to see people paying for things they shouldn't have or didn't need to, hence the thumbs down...because I too have knowledge of the process and I paid less for said process. If someone wants to pay more for something because they don't wanna fight for less, so be...that doesn't make my knowledge and experience wrong and them right lol.
Would you mind sending me a DM or a screenshot or perhaps provide a copy of your invoice? If you can post here that is fine too. I’m going into service tomorrow for this issue and would love to reference this if possible. Thanks again.

My service center honored the TSB, but now advises they are waiting on a whole new drive unit to be replaced under warranty. Two-day repair going on two weeks. Did not hear any scraping or grinding noises suggesting a new drive unit was needed. Wonder if they broke it trying to swap the axles? Dunno.

Reactions: m5james
My service center honored the TSB, but now advises they are waiting on a whole new drive unit to be replaced under warranty. Two-day repair going on two weeks. Did not hear any scraping or grinding noises suggesting a new drive unit was needed. Wonder if they broke it trying to swap the axles? Dunno.
Why are they replacing your drive unit? Is it to prevent the halfshalf from going bad ? If that's the case then wouldn't other half shaft replacement be covered under the drive unit warranty?

Good luck

Would you mind sending me a DM or a screenshot or perhaps provide a copy of your invoice? If you can post here that is fine too. I’m going into service tomorrow for this issue and would love to reference this if possible. Thanks again.
There is a correction code they need. Mine is wrapping up half shaft replacement right now. I’ll post a snap of the relevant section on the invoice tonight or tomorrow.

Reactions: Wheelieman
This is my first post so apologies if I'm doing it wrong. I have a 2019 Model S that recently developed a clicking/knocking sound when accelerating from a stop while turning right or left. I took it to the dealer and they said replace the half shafts and some other suspension parts for a whopping $3,615. Then I found TSB 21-39-001, which says it applies to model years 2014-2020. When I asked about this, they said it only applies during the warranty period which, for me, ended four months ago. Any advice? Do I just bend over?

This is my first post so apologies if I'm doing it wrong. I have a 2019 Model S that recently developed a clicking/knocking sound when accelerating from a stop while turning right or left. I took it to the dealer and they said replace the half shafts and some other suspension parts for a whopping $3,615. Then I found TSB 21-39-001, which says it applies to model years 2014-2020. When I asked about this, they said it only applies during the warranty period which, for me, ended four months ago. Any advice? Do I just bend over?
It's crazy that we all have similar issues, but different result woth different SC. I wpudp keep trying, try a different SC if you are able.

Welcome to the forum. The service center is lying to you (and this will happen a LOT) so you need to call them on it and rub their face in their pile of bullshipping that they are giving you.

Ask for written proof from the TSB where it says that it only applies during the warranty period. Keep pressing, because they are liars and they know it.
The cost information / billing codes are in the TSB, where it says the TOTAL charge is $350 for this. Not "plus incidentals" not "plus expenses" not "plus consumables" not "plus shop supplies" or anything else other than the taxes. $350. For the parts and the labor COMPLETE.

No diagnostic charges, nothing else. They aren't independently owned dealerships, so I don't understand where this nonsense comes from but it is how they operate. The service centers are some of the shadiest people I've ever encountered in the automotive world.

Reactions: m5james