Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate Bracket For Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey ranova,

Thanks for posting this. Looks like a great solution. I am hesitant about these brackets that cover the vent. Yours looks fine.

I must be dense, but it's not clear to me how this attaches. Does the bracket tape onto the underside of the front bumper? And then there is a removable nut that can be screwed on and off?

The Model 3 bumper is slanted a bit. Did you have to bend the bracket to have the license plate fit vertically?

Have you tried to pry it off? You don't think there is a chance this could come off on the highway after some time? Lots of vibration over time has to have an impact on the ability of the tape to hold, no?

Yeah, you are correct. The picture in the product page has the mounting piece flipped around for some reason. I did not have to bend the bracket at all, it was already slightly bent outwards, which was good. The directions say that you want it actually angled inwards at the top so that it touches the car. This is likely so it doesnt rattle when youre driving around. It does have a rubber stopper at the top so it wont scratch your car. It has a large removable nut that takes 5 seconds to get off when you want to remove the plate. Picture of what it looks like, semi bent:
5067690542603328558.jpg

I havent tried to pry it off, but per the product page, they hung a 10lb weight off of it and it didnt budge at all. They also drove around at 100mph and it didnt budge. Its definitely the strongest double sided tape I've witnessed so far. I havent drove around with the plate on yet, I'm going to let it sit and cure for the full 72 hours. Additionally, I will likely only keep it on while parked in SF, where the parking maids will ticket you without a front plate

It was initially tested by mounting the base to a painted surface with the bracket attached and we let it sit for a week; it didn’t move. Then we hung 10lbs of weight off the mount with the bracket attached and let it sit for a week; it didn’t move. Then we mounted it on a 2015 Mustang GT, took it up to 100mph using the 3M tape mounting option; it didn’t move.

I will email the guy to see if he would make custom ones for the Model 3 where we can screw it in at the bottom of the plate (and maybe use double sided tape near the top) so then it wont cover any of the vent. But again, this is not as bad as some other mounts as there is still room for air to get in the vent

@TonyPham 2 questions, sorry if this has been asked previously:

1. Does The Bandit stop the cooling vents from opening/closing? My understanding is that it's not open all the time.
  2. Is the material that it's attached to plastic? Any concern about heavy headwinds and bending/breaking the attach point?

Reactions: TonyPham
Yeah, you are correct. The picture in the product page has the mounting piece flipped around for some reason. I did not have to bend the bracket at all, it was already slightly bent outwards, which was good. The directions say that you want it actually angled inwards at the top so that it touches the car. This is likely so it doesnt rattle when youre driving around. It does have a rubber stopper at the top so it wont scratch your car. It has a large removable nut that takes 5 seconds to get off when you want to remove the plate. Picture of what it looks like, semi bent:
View attachment 307860

I havent tried to pry it off, but per the product page, they hung a 10lb weight off of it and it didnt budge at all. They also drove around at 100mph and it didnt budge. Its definitely the strongest double sided tape I've witnessed so far. I havent drove around with the plate on yet, I'm going to let it sit and cure for the full 72 hours. Additionally, I will likely only keep it on while parked in SF, where the parking maids will ticket you without a front plate

It was initially tested by mounting the base to a painted surface with the bracket attached and we let it sit for a week; it didn’t move. Then we hung 10lbs of weight off the mount with the bracket attached and let it sit for a week; it didn’t move. Then we mounted it on a 2015 Mustang GT, took it up to 100mph using the 3M tape mounting option; it didn’t move.

I will email the guy to see if he would make custom ones for the Model 3 where we can screw it in at the bottom of the plate (and maybe use double sided tape near the top) so then it wont cover any of the vent. But again, this is not as bad as some other mounts as there is still room for air to get in the vent

Thanks again @ranova!

You answered my questions perfectly! I agree with your comment about SF. That's why I am planning to install a front plate also. I have personal experience with SF meter maids and front license plates.

This is the best solution I've seen yet.

I read somewhere this has metal layer inside and obstructs the radar. I like that idea too as it does not add aero-drag like other plates by keeping smooth airflow over bumper, but I am worried about that Radar obstruction.

What would be the difference than using the actual license plate in the front then? Tesla gives you a front bumper plate mount, I would assume they would account for any metal

Fellow TMC members and customers of The Bandit,

2 of the first 77 customers with The Bandit front license plate holder mounted on their Tesla Model 3's have reported a STOP sensor message issue varying at lower speeds under 5mph / coming to a stop behind a car 3-4 feet away. One of the 2 customers is a Tesla Troubleshooter Technician / Engineer with VIN 1xx and suggested to move the front plate closer by 6mm (.236”). This modification, tested and verified and has resolved all STOP sensor issues on both vehicles. Thank you, Mr. "JD" (John Doe)

During the final prototype phases, 2 Model 3's with VINs 13xx (with Enhanced AP) and 27xx (without Enhanced AP), particularly focusing on vehicle 13xx during heavy stop and go traffic hours and cruising speeds on city streets with EAP was engaged to ensure all functionality of sensors.

Apparently, there are slight variances with sensitivity from a couple Model 3's with the First Version of The Bandit front license plate holders.

Any customers that placed their orders before May 7, 2018 that has this STOP sensor message issue, please email [email protected] with your order number & a revised “V2” of The Bandit will be shipped ASAP to you at no cost. Any orders after May 13th 2018 already have the updated version.

Thank you for your patience and support is deeply appreciated.

Reactions: Asad1087
Fellow TMC members and customers of The Bandit,

2 of the first 77 customers with The Bandit front license plate holder mounted on their Tesla Model 3's have reported a STOP sensor message issue varying at lower speeds under 5mph / coming to a stop behind a car 3-4 feet away. One of the 2 customers is a Tesla Troubleshooter Technician / Engineer with VIN 1xx and suggested to move the front plate closer by 6mm (.236”). This modification, tested and verified and has resolved all STOP sensor issues on both vehicles. Thank you, Mr. "JD" (John Doe)

During the final prototype phases, 2 Model 3's with VINs 13xx (with Enhanced AP) and 27xx (without Enhanced AP), particularly focusing on vehicle 13xx during heavy stop and go traffic hours and cruising speeds on city streets with EAP was engaged to ensure all functionality of sensors.

Apparently, there are slight variances with sensitivity from a couple Model 3's with the First Version of The Bandit front license plate holders.

Any customers that placed their orders before May 7, 2018 that has this STOP sensor message issue, please email [email protected] with your order number & a revised “V2” of The Bandit will be shipped ASAP to you at no cost. Any orders after May 13th 2018 already have the updated version.

Thank you for your patience and support is deeply appreciated.
Thanks @TonyPham , i just emailed you my original 5/3 order info. thank you, Sharon

Reactions: TonyPham
@Ole1, great questions! Battery cooling vent / grills are actually quite flexible. The Bandit positioning actually allows flexing of the grill in the event of something bumping it vs a lower, direct position, which the grill would absorb direct impact and, blocks the grill itself (early test prototype image below). Over 200+ customers & 0 broken grills. Thanks
IMG_2005.jpg