Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate Solutions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is less than $40
Amazon.com: Show N Go License Plate Holder: Automotive

It's manual but $100 cheaper than the powered version so I may try it if Tesla doesn't have a good option.

Just curious as to what happened with the Show N Go license plate holder option. I live in NY and it is rare to see a NY registered vehicle with the front plate missing. Having a front plate on Model S plate takes away from the aesthetics.

I think I like Dave's "low" design as well. I surmise what I will do is tell them not to drill the plate bracket in - but to include it with my delivery. I will take it, as well as a nice timely look at the front (just as Dave did) and then come up with a similar, if not, same approach to the attachment of the plate.

I agree with it not looking to aesthetically pleasing to be mounted right on the middle of the nose. I also agree with myself (which is nice) that I do not want to give Mr. Plod any additional reason to ticket me. Nonetheless, if I come up with anything remarkable, I will let y'all know.

Incidentally, the only time I have ever had anything legal occur with the lack of or presence of a front plate occurred when my daughter took her drivers test. In TX, the TX registered car must have the front plate. You don't need it during inspection. You don't need it during registration. I never had one on my '87 328 GTS either. But, just because I don't agree with the law, doesn't mean in court, I am right.

WJ
McKinney TX

- - - Updated - - -

Just email your rep and he will put a note to not add a bracket. Easy! No problems here in ca as well. I did get pulled over in Illinois though, but he couldn't give me a ticket because my plate was ca.

100% correct. States cannot enforce other state's laws unless they are 100% identical.

Dave, is your low plate nice and snug? This looks good to me. Could you take a head-on picture from farther away, please?
We all really appreciate your info!

Yeah. I'll take a picture later but I used that sticky velcro tape to both sides (lower iip that touches bottom of bracket) to keep it from sliding around. Seems to work.

Here is a good solution
Order the license braket from Skenedesign.com and you will still have to drill holes but they wont be in the Tesla wide mouth.
Order the 2 inch medium bracket. I had my Tesla rep measure just under the mouth and back up to the honey comb grill.
He said it was just slightly under 2.5 inches so I order the 2 inch.
This will place the plate well below the beautiful mouth of the car and not obstruct the nice design of the car. What were they thinking in engineering when they came up with the plastic bracket?
Sig Perf 442

I ordered the 2.5" after I measured it so maybe both will work. Sounds like Tesla is saying mounting plate so low might interfere with the AC and battery cooling.

I asked if I could post their response and they said it was ok:
The license plate bracket is meant to be to be installed by being drilled into the nose cone. Where you have mounted the plate now does impact the air to the AC condenser as well as the radiators for cooling of the battery pack. In addition, it can affect the aerodynamic efficiency of the car.

Here's what it looks like from front:

A1.jpg

Last edited:
I understand Tesla's official response, but it seems there is still ample open area for cooling, so I wouldn't worry too much. However, I would keep it eye on the temperature gauges, especially during summer months, just to convince myself. The affect on aerodynamics should be minimal, from what I can see.

That's what I was thinking. They have to say that. I don't see a screen on the Model S where you monitor the temps though.

Tesla said the same thing about the Roadster Foundry license plate bracket. Never had a problem with mine. Worth keeping an eye on though.

I don't see a way to monitor temps in the Model S yet. I still have the Skene bracket coming. Maybe I'll try that too.

- - - Updated - - -

dsm-

any way you could mount it in such a way? Might avoid the airflow issue and simultaneously get it out of site potentially

That looks like it'd drop the ground clearance down to the Roadstsr though.

How are you doing this? By Phone or email? Or is there some formal request/option?

A front plate is required in Illinois as well, so I think I would want to look into some options like the Skene plate or have someone put together a simple frame that is mounted under the bumper.

i called my sales rep, and he placed a note on my paperwork. He said I would also need to sign a waiver upon taking delivery. After 8 years with no plate on my M3 and no issues, I'm convinced this is the way to go in CA.

I don't see a way to monitor temps in the Model S yet. I still have the Skene bracket coming. Maybe I'll try that too.

- - - Updated - - -

That looks like it'd drop the ground clearance down to the Roadstsr though.

Hey, DMS363
Any chance we could mount it off-center with an after market mount? I've seen some cars like that though I don't know what is "legally" allowed. But I was thinking that if it weren't directly center it might not block critical airflow and we could have it low enough so it doesn't hid that beautiful nose cone. Yes I like it :O).

But not having the car yet or a store close by to look at one, I don't know if that would work. What are your thoughts?

It should work. I like my zip tie solution even though they say it may block airflow so may keep it.

I wonder if you could drill a few holes in the plate to facilitate airflow. Not completely punch out the holes, but leave them open enough to permit airflow -- sort of like those large banners placed across streets. Maybe it makes no difference. Is there a way to measure temperature with the plate off v. on?

I wonder if you could drill a few holes in the plate to facilitate airflow. Not completely punch out the holes, but leave them open enough to permit airflow -- sort of like those large banners placed across streets. Maybe it makes no difference. Is there a way to measure temperature with the plate off v. on?

No way for driver to monitor temp but Tesla can. I'm sure they'd let me know if things running high though. That's a good idea. Would have to check if cutting small holes in license plate was acceptable in Texas though.

Got mine inspected w/o a front plate. Even the local sheriff said "Don't mount the front plate until forced to by a law change/fix."

I have another idea, but I'd need someone to make a mold for me... think acrylic/transparent resin which is clear.