Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate Solutions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not even close. I was going to try to put the plate behind the nose cone or possibly integrate the plate mount into the cone. The problem that I run into is the mounting of the cone. I know that it just clips on, the real question is: will the material that I'd use stand up to the test of time?

I know that ABS gets real brittle after about a year, most resins would work, but are brittle to start with. I need something like PLA or Polycarbonate.

I could just use a vacu-form and make one side of the mold, but after that I want to pour one in resin so that I can shape it easier. Maybe a question for some DMS members...

Well, looks like the strategy of just trying to get away without a front plate isn't going to work well in LA. I parked on a Los Angeles street for the first time Monday. Within 45 minutes I got this:
PlateTicket.jpg

And some pretty good irony about the street name huh?

Well, looks like the strategy of just trying to get away without a front plate isn't going to work well in LA. I parked on a Los Angeles street for the first time Monday. Within 45 minutes I got this:

The good part about those meter maid tickets is that all you have to do is pay the $25. It's not a fix-it-ticket issued by an actual officer. Those require you attach the plate, spend $25 more dollars going to the sheriff's office and getting to sign-off on it and then paying the court fee.

That's crazy! I have not had front plates on any of my cars for the last 40 years, and I spend a lot of time in los Angeles and lived there for 15 years! I got one fix it ticket (no fine) 38 years ago, and only got that because I was 15 over the posted limit. No ticket for speeding, just fix the plate.

I took some wire and wired it to the grill of my car. I still did not want to drill holes. I pulled over another officer on another day, and had him sign off the ticket. As he was pulling away, I got a set of wire cutters and removed the plate!

Last edited:

I also enjoyed the "Vehicle Make: UNKN"! Exactly how many car companies are HQ'd in California?

I ordered the 2.5" after I measured it so maybe both will work. Sounds like Tesla is saying mounting plate so low might interfere with the AC and battery cooling.

I asked if I could post their response and they said it was ok:

Here's what it looks like from front:

View attachment 10181

So, I really like the look of this. Are there any updates re: your plate? Any issues with cooling or aerodynamics, or did you listen to TM and move it? I'd consider doing this, and when driving in areas without front plate laws I think it would be pretty easy to remove temporarily. Manitoba plates really don't match Signature Red...

View attachment 10725

I would see about having it dismissed under the basis of false information. The year states 2013, the model year of your Model S says 2012 and the month is also off. This might be enough for a technicality dismissal.