Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone seen a picture of a Model 3 with a front license plate?

Also, in California do I have to mount it on the bumper, or is it okay to place it inside the car somewhere?

In Cali you must place it on the front bumper. in the car is illegal. they will pull you over if they want to be jerks about it.

i got pulled over, got a fix it ticket, zip tied my license plate to the front bumper, drove it in to get inspected and signed off, went home and clipped the zip ties right off. Not sure how doable this is with the M3, but...something to think about.

The bracket looks very similar to what the Model S has. Only difference is that on the S, it comes already installed from the factory. The 3 (at least up to this point) does not have the bracket installed and would need to be installed by the service center or by the individual if they need it.

There was only one video I recall of a release candidate car that had a bracket installed with no plate.

In Cali you must place it on the front bumper. in the car is illegal. they will pull you over if they want to be jerks about it.

i got pulled over, got a fix it ticket, zip tied my license plate to the front bumper, drove it in to get inspected and signed off, went home and clipped the zip ties right off. Not sure how doable this is with the M3, but...something to think about.

I am hoping the bracket doesn't come pre-installed from the factory.

Front plates are also required in New York. With a high density of license plate scanners among law enforcement in our area, they do want these plates in place. Even cars parked at street meters have been ticketed for a missing plate in my small village. Or pulled over when the police pick it up traveling toward you with the scanner on.

Hopefully, Tesla will provide an elegant solution available for purchase optional installation, especially considering the large number of initial deliveries in California..

Audi has the same challenge. Standard US version does not come with provision for front plate. If you order the car it can be factory installed. After that, (as I learned buying a used Audi from Florida) it is a $250 plus labor modification of the front grill and bumper. You could just mount it with some other method, but that results in an ugly appearance on an expensive Audi..

I see people on the Tesla forum saying that Tesla provides you with the mount, but they leave it up to you to install it.

Hmm, I wonder if it depends on where you live in and what time period tesla decides to put them on or not. (Like maybe they did it for a little while and stopped). I know that VW had a lawsuit brought on by R32 owners because they were putting them on every car regardless of if the state required front plate or not. (Clearly not happening here). Everyone who was aware received a free front bumper replacement (painted to match). After that, they started giving the customer the option.

Reactions: Lunarx
Hmm, I wonder if it depends on where you live in and what time period tesla decides to put them on or not. (Like maybe they did it for a little while and stopped). I know that VW had a lawsuit brought on by R32 owners because they were putting them on every car regardless of if the state required front plate or not. (Clearly not happening here). Everyone who was aware received a free front bumper replacement (painted to match). After that, they started giving the customer the option.
There are a lot of pictures of production cars and I haven't seen any with the mount on the front yet.