Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The S already has it installed from the factory. It is held on by two fasteners and some double-sided adhesive tape. It can be removed in 10 minutes and does not have any holes in the bumper front. The older S with the nosecone the bracket had to be screwed to nosecone.

X on the other hand does not have it installed from the factory and needs to be installed. I've seen people say that it is screwed to the bumper but not sure if that is the factory mounting method.

I'm quite sure the bracket will come from the factory for the 3 for states that require the front plate. Don't need to buy some other bracket, but one could I guess. There are aftermarket brackets that use the tow-eye connection for plate mounting.

Audi has the same challenge. Standard US version does not come with provision for front plate. If you order the car it can be factory installed. After that, (as I learned buying a used Audi from Florida) it is a $250 plus labor modification of the front grill and bumper. You could just mount it with some other method, but that results in an ugly appearance on an expensive Audi..
That is not entirely true in regards to Audi, at least in my experience. Cars sold in states that don't require front plates typically are not ordered with the front plate holder. In states that require front plates, it will definitely get ordered from the factory with the plate holder regardless if it is ordered just for inventory or a customer order. There are two option codes for with and without the holder.

I've never heard of any cases in which modifications had to be made to switch out the holder. It should just be a different grille trim that is screwed and snapped on and should be simple swap. Maybe some models are different, but that has been my experience over the many years since Audi has had the single frame grille.

• Informative
Reactions: chronopc
I'll keep my front plates. Neighbor is a cop for our city and has a mentality of being on duty whenever they step foot outside. No getting one or two fix-it tickets for the life of the car for me.

I'm quite sure the bracket will come from the factory for the 3 for states that require the front plate. Don't need to buy some other bracket, but one could I guess. There are aftermarket brackets that use the tow-eye connection for plate mounting.

California requires a front plate and almost all the existing deliveries have been to California, but none of them have a front plate holder installed. Back when I got my S they installed it when you picked up the car if you wanted one.

California requires a front plate and almost all the existing deliveries have been to California, but none of them have a front plate holder installed. Back when I got my S they installed it when you picked up the car if you wanted one.
I never said the bracket would be installed, I said it will just be provided. :p Some assembly required. The S was crash tested with the bracket installed and therefore is required to be built that way from the factory. That is why service centers are refusing to remove them as well. Yes, the bracket made no difference in the crash testing, but that is the way it was tested. The X on the other hand was not tested that way so it doesn't have to be manufactured with it on.

I wouldn't be surprised if vast majority of Teslas in CA do not have front plates even though they are required.

I've been to the US a few times and done a lot of driving in the West and mid-West and I fully understand the "10 mph over the posted limit" thing and the highway patrol turning a blind eye. I don't understand why you guys just don't make the posted limits 10mph higher and adhere to it.

Over here in "Straya", you will definitely get a fine for going "up to 9kph over" the posted limit. and some states will even fine you for 3-4kph over. That's 1-2mph over.

Apart from aesthetics, I don't understand the whole not wanting a front number plate thing. It doesn't affect aerodynamics and helps in identifying drivers doing the wrong thing. What's wrong with that?

Reactions: DR61
Apart from aesthetics, I don't understand the whole not wanting a front number plate thing. It doesn't affect aerodynamics and helps in identifying drivers doing the wrong thing. What's wrong with that?
Aesthetics matters!!! Just ask all the guys who married attractive girls who turned out to be completely terrible human beings.

States just want you to have it so it's easier to identify you for things like red light cameras.
According to our local PD, red light cameras have been thrown out of court in California. I was told that the court says you have the right to confront your accuser and a camera is not a 'person.' Therefore, red light cameras are no longer admissible in California courts. YMMV.

I will not be running a front plate.

According to our local PD, red light cameras have been through out of court in California. I was told that the court says you have the right to confront your accuser and a camera is not a 'person.' Therefore, red light cameras are no longer admissible in California courts. YMMV.

I will not be running a front plate.
I got a ticket from the red light camera once and I did a Trial Through Written Declaration (trial over the mail). I won because a camera couldn't respond to me saying I didn't do it.

I think there was some case in San Diego where the judge stated that a red light camera is considered a "speed trap" and not legal.

There's no utility from having a front license plate. States just want you to have it so it's easier to identify you for things like red light cameras.

?? There's no utility to you for having a license plate at all, only utility for the government. And you just identified at least one reason why having a front license plate is useful to the government. The only thing that bugs me is either they feel it's important or it isn't. If it's important, then it should be enforced. If it isn't then the requirement should be eliminated. The current situation in California is just silly.

• Disagree
Reactions: DR61