Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure about Model 3 because I don't own one yet and don't know anyone that owns one. But in X and S, plastic louvers are fixed.

Fair enough. I believe it was one of the OCDetailing videos that mentions that the louvres open and close - I'll see if I can find it.
Went back and watched the video, looks like the things that move are actually behind the louvers that you are attaching to. So as long as the bolt doesn't stick back too far this shouldn't be an issue.

Oregon requires both plates and we frequently drive through Milwaukie, which has the highest ticket revenue per person of any city in Oregon. They rake in $2 million plus a year just from the speed van. There is a high school near our house and the speed zone is often staked out, so I don't think it is worth the hassles to not mount the front plate.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
... It doesn't affect aerodynamics ...
It must affect the drag coefficient.
Think of all the expense Tesla went to for flush door handles.
Think of the flush rivets on the early WW2 aircraft and how they resulted in greater air speed.
Think of hanging scraps of sheet metal on your car and how that would affect drag.

Driving style, tyre pressure, climate settings, weight of occupants, unnecessary luggage like charging cables would have more of an impact than a number plate.

Get your number plate as a sticker and it would follow the form of the car and definitely not effect aerodynamics and still let those flouting the law be identified.

Vern Padgett,

You have to quote the whole of my post to keep it in context.

A sticker, as in a label or transfer, has no noticeable form and once affixed to the car would have no noticeable affect on aerodynamics.

Last edited:
I installed the OEM front license plate mount because it's required in my state, and I actually like how the plate breaks up the nose, which I was never a big fan of.

As far as the plate affecting aerodynamics, yes it must. But I highly doubt it is significant being at the apex of the nose; the airflow will quickly go back to laminar as it flows around the rest of the nose.

I'm quite happy with the efficiency numbers I'm seeing with the front plate on.

30171487_920322851472518_7319764843484392877_o.jpg

Courtesy of Tesla Model 3 Road Trip. Doesn't look half bad I must say :)

Reactions: strykeroz
I installed the OEM front license plate mount because it's required in my state, and I actually like how the plate breaks up the nose, which I was never a big fan of.

I live in Washington where front license plates are required, but I don’t want to drill into my car. Has anyone actually drilled into their nose cone to attach a license plate bracket? @novox77 did the OEM require drilling?

I live in Washington where front license plates are required, but I don’t want to drill into my car. Has anyone actually drilled into their nose cone to attach a license plate bracket? @novox77 did the OEM require drilling?

It's adhesive, and it is already stuck on the mount. You just have to remove the film when you're ready to stick it on the car. I would suggest practicing placing the mount before you remove the adhesive covers. It was a bit tricky to get it centered and in the proper position. Also, the curve of the bumper is a tad more concave than the mount, so you end up having to press really firmly to get the tape in the middle to stick to the bumper. And when I did it, it was quite cold, so I used a hairdryer to warm up the adhesive so that it bonds better to the surface.

there is a little mark on the bottom of the mount that you're supposed to line up with the center vertical piece in the grill below. I would recommend doing a placement test, holding the mount in position, and then using masking tape to mark the left and right sides. Might need a helper here to help. Having the tape marking the edges will make the real placement much easier. If you're not that anal about being perfectly center, then don't bother :)

I also have an exterior transponder for EZ Pass, and the screws provided were too short to mount both the plate and the transponder. I ended up using the screws for the rear plate in the front, but those were just a tad too long and would likely scratch the bumper, so I filed down the tips. Problem solved.

Vern Padgett,

You have to quote the whole of my post to keep it in context.

A sticker, as in a label or transfer, has no noticeable form and once affixed to the car would have no noticeable affect on aerodynamics.
You are right. I apologize.

Too much grape juice that night. :)

I didn't catch that you were writing about a "sticker." Is there such a thing? In California? I have a metal plate. How might I transform that into a sticker?

Reactions: Jays200
Custom License Plates - Adhesive license plate replica

As far as I know they’re technically not legal.

"technically?" They are absolutely not legal in California.

I think you are better off not having a plate at all, which is a simple $15 fix-it ticket, than having a fake licence plate ("Vehicle Code 4463 VC – Forgery, alteration, counterfeit or falsification of registration, license plate, certificate, license, etc.,"), which is up to one year in jail and/or a $1000 fine.

You are right. I apologize.

Too much grape juice that night. :)

I didn't catch that you were writing about a "sticker." Is there such a thing? In California? I have a metal plate. How might I transform that into a sticker?
Jays200,
How about if I take a photo of my metal license plate,
print it out on my HP4500 $39 twelve-year old printer on 8x11 paper;
then
paste it onto the front of my Tesla with a glue stick.
Is that what you are talking about? A sticky-on facsimile of an actual license plate?
If not, what is wrong with my idea?
All responses are welcome.

Jays200,
How about if I take a photo of my metal license plate,
print it out on my HP4500 $39 twelve-year old printer on 8x11 paper;
then
paste it onto the front of my Tesla with a glue stick.
Is that what you are talking about? A sticky-on facsimile of an actual license plate?
If not, what is wrong with my idea?
All responses are welcome.

I have done this in the past. I had my front plate color photocopied on waterproof static paper. Would last about a month each. I reduced it slightly as well to fit better.
I’m having the front of the 3 wrapped and will install the factory bracket after if I get stopped.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett