Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apart from aesthetics, I don't understand the whole not wanting a front number plate thing. It doesn't affect aerodynamics and helps in identifying drivers doing the wrong thing. What's wrong with that?

Reference on a the aerodynamics not being effected? Im not an aerodynamicist [but I do like to hold my hand out of the car and pretend it is an airplane] but I'm not sure how bolting a box onto the front of a car would go unnoticed by the laws of nature.

?? There's no utility to you for having a license plate at all, only utility for the government. And you just identified at least one reason why having a front license plate is useful to the government. The only thing that bugs me is either they feel it's important or it isn't. If it's important, then it should be enforced. If it isn't then the requirement should be eliminated. The current situation in California is just silly.

I can at least see the merit of having a rear license plate. Such as, car just rear ended you at a stop sign and drove off, you catch the plate number so you can report it. But fronts, nah.

Out of curiosity, if you live in, and register in, a state that doesn't require front plates but drive through Cali, will they still ticket you. Do you randomly have to get a 2nd plate for a road trip?

No, because if there's one more thing that California folk love than being "eco-friendly" its regulating anything and everything.
I guess that is why California is the 5th or 6th largest (depending on how you measure it) economy in the world. I can't imagine living in any other State when you throw in the climate, ambiance, and diversity to boot.

No, because if there's one more thing that California folk love than being "eco-friendly" its regulating anything and everything.
As a Californian I couldn't care less about being eco-friendly or regulations. My interest in the Tesla is purely because of the technology. I mean it's great that it's good for the environment too, but that's not my main motivation for buying a Model 3.

I guess that is why California is the 5th or 6th largest (depending on how you measure it) economy in the world. I can't imagine living in any other State when you throw in the climate, ambiance, and diversity to boot.

California's GDP is fueled by speculation in Silicon Valley, sinful enterprises like the entertainment industry in LA, and agriculture in the Central Valley that is sucking up all the little water left in the state. I made the mistake of living here, looking for a way out. I don't care for what CA has to offer - I don't like beaches, the social media obsession, nor ethnic foods.

Portland, Maine? I would risk it, but I already have illegal window tinting and I don't want to give them anymore reasons to pull me over.

IMG_1068.JPG

California's GDP is fueled by speculation in Silicon Valley, sinful enterprises like the entertainment industry in LA, and agriculture in the Central Valley that is sucking up all the little water left in the state. I made the mistake of living here, looking for a way out. I don't care for what CA has to offer - I don't like beaches, the social media obsession, nor ethnic foods.
For someone who lives in CA you really do not understand the economy of the state.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8e/California_GDP_by_Sector_2015.svg

It's only hard moving into California. It's not hard to move out. You have 49 states to choose from.

I also live in a state that requires a front plate. Normally I would not care, but the inward sloping shape of the Model 3 front bumper has me wondering how to install the plate and have it look decent and not affect aero flow.

It will be interesting to see what Tesla comes up with.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
As a Californian I couldn't care less about being eco-friendly or regulations. My interest in the Tesla is purely because of the technology. I mean it's great that it's good for the environment too, but that's not my main motivation for buying a Model 3.

Well, most Californians are obsessed with regulating. Everything. Especially firearms.
For someone who lives in CA you really do not understand the economy of the state.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8e/California_GDP_by_Sector_2015.svg

It's only hard moving into California. It's not hard to move out. You have 49 states to choose from.

I've committed to moving out. It's just a matter of saving money, which is hard since everything in this state sucks your wallet dry. I'm tired of the cost of living, and I'm tired of all the regulations, especially regulations on my assault rifle collection.

Well, most Californians are obsessed with regulating. Everything. Especially firearms.

I've committed to moving out. It's just a matter of saving money, which is hard since everything in this state sucks your wallet dry. I'm tired of the cost of living, and I'm tired of all the regulations, especially regulations on my assault rifle collection.
I wish you the best of luck. CA can be a difficult place to live comfortably if you have some bad luck financially.

Reference on a the aerodynamics not being effected? Im not an aerodynamicist [but I do like to hold my hand out of the car and pretend it is an airplane] but I'm not sure how bolting a box onto the front of a car would go unnoticed by the laws of nature.

Driving style, tyre pressure, climate settings, weight of occupants, unnecessary luggage like charging cables would have more of an impact than a number plate.

Get your number plate as a sticker and it would follow the form of the car and definitely not effect aerodynamics and still let those flouting the law be identified.