Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a good idea but it doesn't seem like it would work well on the Model 3 since it looks like the license plate would cover the air intake and be off centered low on the "duck bill".

Show N Go Electric Powered License Plate Frame
I have looked at the Show and Go as an alternative. Here are the reasons I won't be using one.
- Unit does not automatically shut off when it reaches limit of travel. You have to hit the off button on the transmitter to shut the motor off or you will burn out the motor, as many have.
- The only way to know when you have reached the end of travel is to be outside the car at the front and observe
- Unit is very susceptible to damage from road debris and snow
- Longevity of the motor has been an issue to a relatively high number of users
- Manual unit has in general been more popular and reliable, but then I ask myself, 'what's the point of a manual unit?'

Over in the Pictures of production Model 3s thread this photo was posted of (apparently) the (stick-on) front license plate bracket:

VXF9n6u.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Sawyer8888
I believe it's just like the S one. Drilled from the bottom so you won't see any holes even if you remove it later, and double sided tape to the front of the painted part of the bumper so it doesn't flap around at speed. That's why you see that little baggy of screws. There's still drilling involved. Just no unsightly holes which is the main complaint if it's later removed.

I believe it's just like the S one. Drilled from the bottom so you won't see any holes even if you remove it later, and double sided tape to the front of the painted part of the bumper so it doesn't flap around at speed. That's why you see that little baggy of screws. There's still drilling involved. Just no unsightly holes which is the main complaint if it's later removed.
Those screws in the bag are for actually mounting the plate to the bracket. I am not seeing any additional holes in the bracket, so it may be using the tape only. That appears to be 3M VHB (very high bonding) tape and is surprisingly pretty damn strong.

I guess if you don't want to drill but are scared of getting tickets you could do this...

Custom License Plates - Adhesive license plate replica

I'd be afraid of them just flying off.

As far as I am aware, those are not allowed in US states that mandate front license plates. Any cop that's looking at your front and has good vision will tell that its a sticker, not a metallic plate. Then you get a lecture and a fix it ticket courtesy of your neighborhood law enforcement agency.

I had one on my Mustang Cobra and newer got stopped.

And I've driven 5 years and 130,000 miles without a front plate and got stopped once. The officer mentioned that a "lot of Teslas" didn't put plates on the front. I made some comment about profiling, and we joked a bit and he left. Ten percent of ALL vehicles, car and trucks both, in California, a front license state, do not have front plates.

Having a piece of plastic that looks like a plate ruins it just the same as having a plate. Its ugly. And unnecessary.

I have installed the front license plates without drilling any holes in my Model X. I used couple of toggle bolts, threaded rod cut to length, covered with heat shrink tubing and soldered nuts on one end. Cost me $5. If anyone interested, I can post pictures and some detailed instructions.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 127
  • Left.jpg
    Left.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 102
  • Right.jpg
    Right.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 101
I have installed the front license plates without drilling any holes in my Model X. I used couple of toggle bolts, threaded rod cut to length, covered with heat shrink tubing and soldered nuts on one end. Cost me $5. If anyone interested, I can post pictures and some detailed instructions.
Very creative and clever @kpalaniswami Have you noticed any difference in battery cooling with regards to partially covering the lower air intake?

I've gone more than a decade and two cars without front plates. I've gotten several tickets during that time, but strangely, they never specifically cited me for not having a front plate. I'll take my chances.
It has been 50 years since I have received a ticket, for anything including parking or no front plate :p although I have to admit I deserved one on occasion! (Watch, I'll get one in the next couple of days! :eek: )

That would be my concern as well with a lower mount. I’ll use the included front plate mount. At least its removable with no screws into the bumper cover. Keeps the lower intake fully exposed.
I have had some experience with my Prius and this issue. Many of those on the Prius forum have mounted their front plate over the lower intake, which is used for both ICE and traction battery cooling. This has been tested under a number of environmental conditions and there has been no ill effects. However, I would advise to proceed with caution. I plan to be a scofflaw and run without a front plate after a private conversation I had with random CHP officers. If I should be parking in San Fran or Santa Barb in the future, I will figure out a way to just temporarily hang the plate off the front bumper while I am parked. YMMV

• Helpful
Reactions: Vern Padgett
That would be my concern as well with a lower mount. I’ll use the included front plate mount. At least its removable with no screws into the bumper cover. Keeps the lower intake fully exposed.
I am using the included front plate mount provided by Tesla. I didn't see any difference in battery cooling. It is a small area that it covers and air flow is not obstructed, the louvers are still exposed to outside air.

For the most part, the necessity of a front plate in California is not enforced and hasn't been for a long time. Generally speaking, if you drive nice you won't be pulled over for no front plate. Just like the maximum speed limit is loosely interpreted to be 10 mph over the posted speed limit. Why codify something through regulation when it appears to be working just fine the way it is? No harm no foul, let sleeping dogs lie, and all those colloquialisms.