Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
None, that I've seen. There was only one prototype or release candidate car seen with the bracket but no plate. Can't seem to find the picture. From what I recall it is very similar in location to the S, just right above the lower front opening.

None, that I've seen. There was only one prototype or release candidate car seen with the bracket but no plate. Can't seem to find the picture. From what I recall it is very similar in location to the S, just right above the lower front opening.

Was it this picture? This is the only front plate bracket I've seen:

FRONT BUMPER.jpg

Actually California requires front plates, but most Tesla owners never install them. Penalties are minimal, so most risk it.
I am in California and was wondering about this. My Model S is on order and I prefer leaving the license plate off. Should I assume the car will be delivered without a license plate of any kind on the front? I have seen Tesla's with the ZERO EMISSION Plate on the back but did not notice the front.

I am in California and was wondering about this. My Model S is on order and I prefer leaving the license plate off. Should I assume the car will be delivered without a license plate of any kind on the front? I have seen Tesla's with the ZERO EMISSION Plate on the back but did not notice the front.
Yes. In CO they offered to install mine at no cost.

Tesla owners (among others) dislike it so much, they've changed the license plate mount on the S. It's no longer drilled into the front of the bumper, but underneath with an L shape so that you can take it all off without seeing an unsightly hole in the middle of your bumper. It's definitely a good compromise and I don't see why the 3 would have a different style front license plate attachment. If you don't want a front plate on, even if it was preinstalled at the factory, you could take it off and no one would know.

• Helpful
Reactions: mako7c4
I wish the plate number could somehow be imposed flush on the bumper as an option.
When I was Supercharging in Limon, CO last December, I met a fellow Tesla owner from Texas. He didn't have a front plate but had scanned his plate in and then had a sticker made out of it. He then put that on the front bumper. It was a good compromise between no plate and having a front plate...but I wonder if it would legally fill the "front plate" requirement or if it could lead to different fines or warnings.

I did a quick search and found this: Jay Racing Front License Plate Sticker - Ohio [FLS-OH] - $40.00 : Jay Racing
License%20Plate%20Sticker3.JPG

These replica Ohio license plate stickers are just like the real thing. Same colors and even reflective white. These are custom made to match your rear license plate. This the solution for $125 "failure to display front license plate" tickets on vehicles where it is not feasible to drill holes or mount ugly brackets to the front bumper.

This product is not legally endorsed by the State of Ohio and therefore is not for use on public roads. Jay Racing, LLC does not hold any responsibility for the replica matching the vehicle in which the plate is registered. These are not intended to replace the front license plate as required by Ohio law.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DrivingRockies