Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
img_61041-jpeg.246973

So now w know what front license plate looks like

• Informative
Reactions: T-Will
We don't use front plates in GA so I bolted a vanity plate showing a road bike against a yellow background to my 2002 Mustang and will probably drop a green background version on the MS100D as it is supposed to come with a plate holder bolted underneath with external torx bolts and double sided foam tape.

The 3s are Hybrid_ed in by a Prius.

here's a euro front plate (photo from the Supercharger app, Orange, FR)

That's how I imagined it will look like on mine.
I don't get what the fuss is about anyway. Coming from a country/continent where no one dares to drive around without a front licence plate, I am so used to the fact that on the contrary cars without front licence plates look strange to me, awkward even, somehow "naked" or incomplete in a way.

California. City's parking enforcement is known to write tickets for cars with only the rear license plate. They tend to target tuner cars and higher end brands (Tesla is included). I've heard horror stories of people accumulating thousands of dollars of no plate ticket fines over the lifetime of the vehicle.

Those tow hook mounts that some cars can use is the best option. I have gotten lectured at by an overzealous cop who insisted that the plate had to be squarely in the middle.

Example for BMW / and VAG cars: US Mill Works - Front License Plate Brackets

Good find. I'll keep that in mind if I get a fix it ticket for not having a front plate.

Perhaps a "broken" front plate mount is the answer? You could keep it under your seat with the broken pieces and some screws and indicate it just happened.

If they care, they'll write the ticket regardless. I legitimately had a messed up front plate one time that was damaged in an accident. Cop wrote me up anyways (just for that too) and said I still could have put it up with tape or zip ties. Then recommended I get a new one from the DMV if I felt like it.

It sure looks bad with a front plate, but I'll be putting it on anyway. It's illegal to run without them in California, although allot of people do it anyway. It's like illegal window tint. Sure it's just a fix it ticket, but it's just a constant obvious violation a cop can use to pull you over. No thanks.

The car came with a stick on bracket in the trunk. I’m told the adhesive on the bracket is industrial strength so when it goes on, it’s not coming off easily. I’m wondering if some arrangement could be fashioned with some super strong magnet on the bracket and behind the fascia? Then it could be applied and removed when desired.

Reactions: TonyPham
Was told at Fashion Island, Ca sales office that a front license plate is not required for a model X or 3 because the license plate would be in front of the "bumper". But it is required for the S because it is behind the "bumper". Is this true?

I've been told it's because the S was crash tested with the bracket, so it has to be there at delivery per federal regulations. The X & 3, not so.

The car came with a stick on bracket in the trunk. I’m told the adhesive on the bracket is industrial strength so when it goes on, it’s not coming off easily. I’m wondering if some arrangement could be fashioned with some super strong magnet on the bracket and behind the fascia? Then it could be applied and removed when desired.

I'm going to keep a small amount of clear 3M film in case I ever get a fix it ticket. Then I'll apply film, install bracket, get signed off, leave and undo the uglification and then remove the film.

Reactions: Stu Redman