Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front motor rarely used in city driving and not used for regen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What video? Link take me to this...

Screenshot (143).png

There is an English version under: https ://www.weibo.com/tv/v/HzmtR4OCv?fid=1034:4384278881221960

Note: You might get first the Main login page, so keep this page open, and open a new Tab and enter the link again.

You should get an image (see below)

You can double click on it to get a larger image, and mute the sound, the music is very loud.

Recorded a section of the Model 3 dual motor when driving on urban roads, the performance of the two front and rear motors.

One of the lazy front motors, except for the deep throttle, does not work most of the time and does not participate in energy recovery. So, don't think about turning off the front motor to save power.

F is the front and R is the rear, the respective power and torque.
M3TorquePower.jpg

The original Chinese version is under: https ://www.weibo.com/5888499702/HzmtR4OCv

• Informative
Reactions: EvanLin and David99
That’s why we seen AWD have their rear tires wore out a bit faster even accounting for weight transfer during acceleration.

I have AWD and this seems plausible. I do hear front motor when I stump on accelerator. Maybe there is still more juice to squeeze from these babies if both motors work at lower speed.

....And for regen, only regen from the rear wheels makes a lot of sense.
Front regen just like braking is way more effective than rear. Also having all wheel regen would be MUCH safer under wet turning conditions.

EDIT: While subjective I test drove a SR+ and it seemed to have less regen than my AWD I bought. Also I had a Cadillac ELR before and it had 3 levels of regen (1 was neat "shifter" paddles) and was front so I was very sensitive to the SR+'s regen for comparing.

Last edited:
Reactions: WarpedOne
Front regen just like braking is way more effective than rear. Also having all wheel regen would be MUCH safer under wet turning conditions.

EDIT: While subjective I test drove a SR+ and it seemed to have less regen than my AWD I bought. Also I had a Cadillac ELR before and it had 3 levels of regen (1 was neat "shifter" paddles) and was front so I was very sensitive to the SR+'s regen for comparing.

I'd be surprised if the AWD car doesn't use all four wheels for regen in some parts of the speed range.

On my Raven X with the PMSR front motor, according to the Ludicrous+ stats it hits just over 80 kW of regen.

At 70 mph it was all the front switched reluctance motor, but at 50 it hit the same amount with an 80-20 front biased split.

Reactions: mongo
I'd be surprised if the AWD car doesn't use all four wheels for regen in some parts of the speed range.

On my Raven X with the PMSR front motor, according to the Ludicrous+ stats it hits just over 80 kW of regen.

At 70 mph it was all the front switched reluctance motor, but at 50 it hit the same amount with an 80-20 front biased split.
Also I notice a little pitching forward just like in friction braking (because of the fronts) that wouldn't happen from rear (dragging) only. Do others (AWD) notice this?

Front regen, for the same motor type, is not more effective at current power levels. Regen is done at a lower level that the available traction for normal conditions, so while the front wheels may have more available traction than the rears (depending on weight, CG height, and rate of deceleration) that does not impact the amount of power collected.
AWD 3 regen is about 76kW max, max acceleration is 3x that.

The ABS/ traction control system cuts regen at the first sign of slip. For driving at the limits of traction, four wheel regen could increase recovered power; however, in terms of safety, I have not seen any issues with loss of control during maneuvers. Safest is to keep power neutral during the turn.

Also I notice a little pitching forward just like in friction braking (because of the fronts) that wouldn't happen from rear (dragging) only. Do others (AWD) notice this?
Yes, it would. Just like a front wheel drive car lifts the nose up somewhat on a launch (admittedly limited due to reduction in traction).
Perfect FWD Drag Launch - How to Get the Best Front Wheel Drive Launch
or
https://www.quora.com/Why-does-the-front-end-of-a-car-lift-up-while-accelerating