Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

front motor whine around 60mph model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This might be helpful:

Following. Have just made a SC appointment for a high pitch whine on our Y too.

Didn’t do it new. 1100 miles in and around 70- 80% throttle it’s like there’s a dentist drill in the car with you.

Will report back what they say. I can drown it out with music until they look at it though.

Last edited:
Ours did it when new - loud whine like a dentists drill getting louder the faster you got.. nothing like the noises the 3 made and louder than the road noise at 70.

After a few hundred miles on the motorway (it's still cold, haven't really had anywhere to go yet) it's a lot lower volume and appears to be getting better on each drive, so I cancelled the SC appointment - some part or other wearing in I think.

Some in the US forums have suggested a grounding strap might need tightening, so if it doesn't go away completely there's still the option of chasing it.

TBH I'm somewhat disappointed - thought the build quality had got better but I've so far had booming from a poorly adjusted rear door, pressure wave issues still not resolved, and a dentist drill noise. All my 3 did was rattle all its life..

Last edited:
We have two Model 3s and a Y. The Y has amore noticeable whine than the 3s but it doesn't bother us. Overall the Y is quieter I'd say so maybe that's why we can hear the motor(s) more.

We have two Model 3s and a Y. The Y has amore noticeable whine than the 3s but it doesn't bother us. Overall the Y is quieter I'd say so maybe that's why we can hear the motor(s) more.
I had a loan 2017 MX for 5 days while the SC did some stuff for me and when I got back into our MY the Y was noticeably quieter. We don’t have any high motor noise like some have mentioned in our MY - 400 miles. We have a 1k road trip this Friday so I’ll check in here if anything crops up.

the 'whine' seems to have approved with additional miles on the clock but replaced with the terrible creaking from the roof above front windscreen which appears to be a common problem in the sun shine !

I had a loan 2017 MX for 5 days while the SC did some stuff for me and when I got back into our MY the Y was noticeably quieter. We don’t have any high motor noise like some have mentioned in our MY - 400 miles. We have a 1k road trip this Friday so I’ll check in here if anything crops up.

Sounds like you don't have it.. if you hear the dentists drill you and your passengers won't be able to miss it. It's not something you have to listen for.

You'll hear a high pitched noise it the motor is used to heat the battery, but you said that was not it. Otherwise, in normal driving only the rear is used. The front is used in hard accelerations. Otherwise, if the car detects slippage (snow, ice etc) it will use the front even for gentle acceleration and even for regen for a while. When the front motor is used, you'll hear it. That is all normal.

You'll hear a high pitched noise it the motor is used to heat the battery, but you said that was not it. Otherwise, in normal driving only the rear is used. The front is used in hard accelerations. Otherwise, if the car detects slippage (snow, ice etc) it will use the front even for gentle acceleration and even for regen for a while. When the front motor is used, you'll hear it. That is all normal.
Are you saying the front motor makes the high pitch noise people are describing here and that this is normal? If so, what makes you say that?

Normal motor whine is not what people are describing here.

Maybe I’m not reading your comment correctly, but I’ve read this noise can be front or rear and can either be a seal, a strap or a sign that the drive unit is failing.

I cannot tell if someone in this thread has a mechanical problem. What I'm saying is that in "normal" driving the front motor doesn't even get used at all. It's free spinning. It doesn't make any noise. In some situations where the car actually needs to use the front motor (harder acceleration, or gentle acceleration after detecting slipping, or sometimes regen, you'll hear some noise from that engine. When it is used, there's a high-pitched sound from it and that sound is normal. The front motor can also be used to precondition the battery while driving to as supercharger, not by generating thrust but by generating heat by using the inverter in a non-efficient way, and that also produces a high-pitched noise that can be heard. All of this is normal.

EDIT/NOTE: if you removed the read seats, you would also hear the rear engine and it has a high-pitched sound.

EDIT 2: The OP said "more so under load", which makes me think that the front motor gets used at that time, making noise.