Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front plate and vehicle sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We picked up our 70D yesterday. Everything looks really great, but the delivery rep said one really surprising thing to us...

She popped the frunk open and said "Well, here's the front plate holder. But you should know that most of our customers here don't actually put front plates on."

Missouri *does* require front plates, although I guess enforcement here is more hit-or-miss than elsewhere. (Still, when's the last time a business officially suggested I break the law?) This will be a daily commuter car, so I'm not seriously considering the idea of leaving the front tag off.

I've looked at a bunch of old threads, trying to figure out why so many people are twitchy about attaching front plates. From what I can see, the main reason is aesthetics, with wind resistance running a distant second.

Here's my question, though: I plan to just go back to the SC and have them install the factory-provided plate holder in the factory-approved manner. Is there any real concern that this will mess up the TACC or the parking sensors? Or am I fine?

Still, when's the last time a business officially suggested I break the law?
Saying most customer don't install it, is not suggesting you break they law, it's just informing you of other customer's choices. :)

The official mounting location is right on the nose cone and is not very aesthetically pleasing to most people.

Many people get this for permanent install: Torklift Central | The Law - Tesla Model S Front License Plate Bracket-Aluminum (Auto Pilot Compatible) X7283 - Tesla Accessories - Vehicle Accessories - Trailer Hitch and Towing

I prefer a removable mounting, so I use: No Drill Tesla Model S Front License Plate

Any problem with the TACC or parking sensors with these alternate mounts?

I can't answer that for the Torklift mount, though my guess would be no.

Like liuping, I use the Magneplate, and have had no problems whatsoever with respect to TACC or the parking sensors. The only minor issue I have had with my Magneplate is that the suction cups don't adhere all that well. The plate stays on just fine anyway, though. It's possible the problem with the suction cups could be due to the area where they are supposed to adhere having been Opticoat Pro'd when I had my car detailed. (I'm not certain of that, though. The guys who did the Opticoat Pro were also installing the Magneplate for me, so they may have left that area untreated.)

In any case, the suction cup thing is really a minor issue, and I do recommend Magneplate. Again, I have no experience with the Torklift product.

Mostly aesthetics. That's why I never install them too. Should have no impact on the sensors at all. The ultrasonics are to the right and left of where it goes and the radar is well below.

I've heard that parking enforcement in The City diligently write tickets for no front plate. Of course if you park in garages instead of on-street, that would be no problem.

I shouldn't jinx myself, but I have not gotten a ticket in CA after 30+ years. I have had friends who have, but in LA, it was a fix-it ticket and when you showed that you fixed it, the ticket was waived. I did, however, get a ticket for backing into a garage spot, rather than parking front first. Why? Give me a break!

I've heard that parking enforcement in The City diligently write tickets for no front plate. Of course if you park in garages instead of on-street, that would be no problem.