Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front plate holder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They gave me a front plate holder that uses tape strips to adhere to the car. Worth putting on or get something better? If so what?

If you never plan on removing it, it works just fine and the tape strips are very strong.

If you think in the future you will not have a front license plate then getting one that doesn't attach to the car is better as it keeps the area below the plate from fading differently than the rest of the car. The Law License Plate bracket is a popular one but if you search the forum, you will find plenty of discussions on plates.

The Law: License Plate Bracket for Tesla Model 3 (No-Drill) - Autopilot Compatible

I bought this last June for my model 3 on ebay-cheap but does exactly what it's suppose to do-and I use the same method (hardware) for my Chevy Bolt EV, too.
Tesla Model 3 PREMIUM NO HOLE license plate hardware installation kit | eBay

Poorly designed plate holder that blocks air flow to the battery.

... The Law License Plate bracket is a popular one but if you search the forum, you will find plenty of discussions on plates.

The Law: License Plate Bracket for Tesla Model 3 (No-Drill) - Autopilot Compatible

Another poorly designed plate holder that blocks air flow to the battery.

I bought the That Grin plate holder, although I don't even get my car till this weekend :) It costs a little more, but the design and build looks great.

This one looks like a better design than the above two, to allow air flow to the battery. I personally got The Bandit v2.

Source of design flaw comment: Front License Plate Bracket For Tesla Model 3

• Funny
Reactions: GolanB and SION1771
Poorly designed plate holder that blocks air flow to the battery.

Another poorly designed plate holder that blocks air flow to the battery.

This one looks like a better design than the above two, to allow air flow to the battery. I personally got The Bandit v2.

Source of design flaw comment: Front License Plate Bracket For Tesla Model 3

I ordered the Bandit for the same reasons you've pointed out (namely that the others restrict airflow to the car). In the end, however, I've been driving without a front-plate and taking my chances (it does look much better), as I was a little concerned that the undercarriage grill work may get damaged if a car parking in front of me comes into contact with the Bandit Plate holder at an angle. Some of the other solutions for plate mounting (on ICE cars) provide additional protection against bumper damage, and this one seemed to me to raise the risk of damage.

Does anyone have any real world experience with cars that have come into contact with the Bandit?

Unless you plan to often remove and re-attach the license plate, I'd just stick (no pun intended) with the adhesive factory mount. I don't think holders that attach to the grill are a good idea, since every small bump (e.g. when someone is parallel parking in front of your car) might push in the holder and damage the grill. Besides, removing the factory mount later isn't that difficult if you change your mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runt8
The included plate holder on top of PPF film is a good long-term solution. I don't see why anyone would want anything different if you are planning on keeping the plate on all the time.

If you prefer to not use a front plate for everyday driving but need a temporary install, this is the cheapest, easiest solution I've found. I install it when I'm going to be parking on the street in areas where they ticket for not having a front plate (e.g., San Francisco, San Jose). It's basically the same thing as the ebay listing above, but it costs $3 and you can get it at any hardware store. Yes, it does block some air flow, but it's great for temporary installs. And it won't damage the grill if someone backs into it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-...oncrete-Anchors-Drill-Bit-Included/1000103105

I just bought a kit for $15 bucks that uses long screws and some sheet rock expanding wing nuts. You can attach the plate to the grill under the frunk. It's mounted low that way and looks much better. Also, you can easily remove it if you move to a different State or for some other reason. No adhesive stuck on your car either.

I don't think anyone has ever proven this to be a problem. It looks like it could be a problem, but I've never seen any complaints about anyone having an overheated battery as a result.

It appears to be that you're doing a piecemeal analysis of poorly designed plate holders. You conveniently left out the source of why the designs of the plates were poorly made. It is very obvious that if there are some obstructed air flow, it will prolong the cooling of the battery. Same situation when you're standing next to a fan when you need to cool down and a portion of the air flow is blocked. When someone who has engineering experience states that there's a design flaw, I'd rather give them more credit than to someone who rather wants to see evidence first to acknowledge the issue and believe.