Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front-rear camera touchscreen parking protection switch kit reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think we need a +12v signal when the car is put into Drive -- what we need is a +12v signal when the reverse line (RL) goes low. I think this can be done with a simple normally closed relay on the RL, feeding +12v to SW2 when the relay closes when the RL goes low.

So regardless of any current camera setting (front or rear), the car goes into reverse and the RL to SW1 goes high, forcing the camera to the rear. At the same time, the normally closed relay opens, cutting +12V to SW2 (which I think should have no effect on the camera). When done backing up, the RL goes low, the relay closes, sending +12v to SW2 again to toggle to the front camera.

This is the behavior that I would prefer (always front except when backing), but I know other people want a different set up (always reverse, front camera toggle on demand). I think for those people, there is no automatic solution that will accomplish that, since it is truly "on demand". But if the camera switches SW1 and SW2 work like I think they do, a simple relay (or MOSFET) will do the trick for people like me.

I am not an electrical engineer, but more of an electronic hobbyist, so please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm convinced this idea will work. I've ordered a relay for delivery tomorrow so I can try this out over the weekend on my beta version. Should be easy to do.

The relay coil will be powered via the reverse lamp 12v signal. A standard 12V connection will be made to the the single relay pole. Default output will be to SW2 and switched output to SW1. So when reverse is engaged the relay coil will be energized and the rear camera will be forced on by SW1. When the car is put into park or drive, the coil will not be powered and SW2 will be the output. In a word the default setting will be front camera on and the rear camera will show on the touchscreen only when reverse is engaged. So this is prefect for parallel parking situations. However, if someone wants the rear camera on while driving, the remote or Homelink can be used to switch it on.

Will test this weekend and report results. HankLloydRight may not be an EE but he's found a solution we all wanted:) Thanks!!

Last edited:
Perhaps a small optoisolator may be better so that the camera pc board is isolated and can not cause any problem with the 12 volt reverse line or controller that the cable bundle you are taping into connects to.

I'm convinced this idea will work. I've ordered a relay for delivery tomorrow so I can try this out over the weekend on my beta version. Should be easy to do.

The relay coil will be powered via the reverse lamp 12v signal. A standard 12V connection will be made to the the single relay pole. Default output will be to SW2 and switched output to SW1. So when reverse is engaged the relay coil will be energized and the rear camera will be forced on by SW1. When the car is put into park or drive, the coil will not be powered and SW2 will be the output. In a word the default setting will be front camera on and the rear camera will show on the touchscreen only when reverse is engaged. So this is prefect for parallel parking situations. However, if someone wants the rear camera on while driving, the remote or Homelink can be used to switch it on.

Will test this weekend and report results. HankLloydRight may not be an EE but he's found a solution we all wanted:) Thanks!!

No, thank you for trying it out!!! I'm glad to contribute even just a little bit to this project.

Now off to finally order the camera from Tesla.

No, thank you for trying it out!!! I'm glad to contribute even just a little bit to this project.

Now off to finally order the camera from Tesla.

Foolish me. After more testing today I discovered that White P85's board design does exactly what we want. This means the relay will not be needed. I didn't know this until making the SW1 connection to the backup light 12v signal this past weekend. For effective operation that connection is essential.

Here's how it works: If you set the front camera to show on the touchscreen and never change it, when you put the car into reverse the rear camera image shows automatically. But when the car is placed in park or drive, the image automatically reverts to the front camera on the touchscreen. So just normal shifting from front to rear automatically shows the desired front or rear image on the touchscreen. This will be perfect for parallel parking or any other situation when one has to back up, go forward, back up again, etc.

Provided the front camera is the "default" setting, the only time the remote or Homelink will be needed is when you want to have a rear view on the touchscreen while driving. If you do that, when you want automatic switching of the images, you'll have to use the remote or Homelink to make the front camera the default again.

Kudos to WhiteP85 for thinking this through in the design.

Is there some sort of secret word to order the camera at a service center?

I just tried calling the closest service center (about 10 minutes away), and at first they were surprised that an owner would be calling for parts, and second, told me they don't sell that part as a "retrofit". I told them I just want the part, and they said they don't sell it.

I sent an email to a different service center (about 30 minutes away) to see what they say before I call them.

How did other people order/buy the camera? Is it a walk-in thing, or do they order it first for later pickup?

Thanks.

Is there some sort of secret word to order the camera at a service center?

I just tried calling the closest service center (about 10 minutes away), and at first they were surprised that an owner would be calling for parts, and second, told me they don't sell that part as a "retrofit". I told them I just want the part, and they said they don't sell it.

I sent an email to a different service center (about 30 minutes away) to see what they say before I call them.

How did other people order/buy the camera? Is it a walk-in thing, or do they order it first for later pickup?

Thanks.

I ordered one yesterday. As I got through scheduling the car for a tire rotation and underbody shields installation, they asked if there was anything else, and I said oh yeah, I want to order a rear camera. He asked, "don't you already have one installed", and I said yes but I need another, and he said, "Oh you're going to install one in the front too." He'd seen this thread. Said it would take about four days to come in, and no problem.

Rick, I am getting a error (Nothing Here - The file you're looking for has been deleted or moved) message when trying to get the front camera installation instructions from the link in your signature.

Thanks.

My local SC says there are different versions of the rear camera:

1006773-00-D (revision D)
and
1006773-00-E (revision E)

Does it matter that the camera is Revision D or E?

thanks.

Wasn't aware of that but if the new version works with the touchscreen, as I'm sure it does, the switch should also work with it fine. The switch just toggles the signal to the touchscreen.

Just sent this message to all of the 75 buyers of the switch:

Fellow Model S Enthusiast,

Several of you have inquired about the status of the camera switch. I’m pleased to report that production is progressing without any apparent glitches. Shipping of the switches should begin in early June. As I noted in an earlier email. I’ll test each PCB on my own car before shipping, which may delay shipping of individual kits a few days.

Production began today on the license plate bracket for mounting the camera on cars with the Tesla front license plate frame. The bracket will be made of aluminum and powder-coated in black. I don’t yet know the price but should in a few days. When I do I’ll email ordering information so those of you who want it can place an order. At the same time, we’ll also provide price and ordering information for the camera back bracket developed by Jason Namath. Jason’s device is for those who don’t want to cut off the wings on the standard Tesla metal bracket. Information on the bracket back can be found here: http://jason-nemeth.com/projects/tesla-front-camera-bracket

The installation instructions have been updated for both clarity and more information. You can download them here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yetxjhijm5foa3/Camera kit instructions.pdf

Please let me know if you have questions. I’ll let you all know the minute I receive all of the units for testing and shipping.

FYI, once the original 75 kits have been shipped, the remaining 25 kits from the first production run of 100 will be sold by the OpenEVSE store. So if other owners you may know are interested, that’s where you can can refer them. In the future, OpenEVSE will handle all production runs and sales of the kits.

Regards,

Rick

Wasn't aware of that but if the new version works with the touchscreen, as I'm sure it does, the switch should also work with it fine. The switch just toggles the signal to the touchscreen.
Note that this may have implications for the winged bracket replacement part I developed. I have a Rev D camera assembly. I wouldn't expect that they'd change the housing or mounting bracket, but it's a possibility. If anyone receives a Rev E camera, please post pictures of the metal mounting bracket on the back of the camera.

Artsci,

Have you considered mounting the PCB unit on the right side of the car and then running two more of the long video cables to run to the left side to connect to the video loop? I know it sounds kind of odd, but today I plan to install my radar detector in the nosecone, and run the wires up the right (pax) side of the car, into the glove box area, down to the USB harness in the pax footwell. It occurred to me that I could do the same for the front camera, get power from the same source, be close to the reverse-light connection in the pax footwell, and have room to hide the PCB unit in the same location but on the right side. The only difference would be that I would need to run two video cables to the left side of the car.

Thoughts?

Hank, if I'm not mistaken, Artsci is out of the country this week. He sent people a status update email about a week ago saying he would be away the week of June 9. So you may have to wait a bit for a response from him.

Artsci,

Have you considered mounting the PCB unit on the right side of the car and then running two more of the long video cables to run to the left side to connect to the video loop? I know it sounds kind of odd, but today I plan to install my radar detector in the nosecone, and run the wires up the right (pax) side of the car, into the glove box area, down to the USB harness in the pax footwell. It occurred to me that I could do the same for the front camera, get power from the same source, be close to the reverse-light connection in the pax footwell, and have room to hide the PCB unit in the same location but on the right side. The only difference would be that I would need to run two video cables to the left side of the car.

Thoughts?

Swegman is right, I'm in Japan all week but with email and web access. There's no reason you couldn't mount the PCB unit in the space on the right side of the dashboard but cable management will definitely be a bigger problem there.