Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front-rear camera touchscreen parking protection switch kit reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks to SUPRKAR we know know that the reverse lamp wire comes from the body controller. This is located on the passenger side under the carpet. First we remove the side panel. This is the same panel you remove on the driver’s side to access the camera/touchscreen connections. After the panel is removed the carpet is pulled back, revealing the body controller cover and two large connectors. Find the grey connector and purple wire with green stripe. We’ve verified that this is the same wiring color at the reverse light itself. This wire is tapped and connected to the PCB. We’re going to suggest adding a low amp inline fuse to protect the controller maybe even a diode for back feed protection as this is one of the more expensive controllers in the car. I’ll be adding this information to the installation instructions.

SUPRKAR wins the free camera switch.

Once the wire is connected to the body controller, it's run under the side panel on the left dash under the lip between the top of the dash and the metal piece underneath. A 22 gauge black wire is ideal for this, as it pushes in the gap easily with a plastic non-mafr tool and totally disappears from view. It's run all the way across the dash to the side panel on the driver's side, where it's connect to terminal SW2 on the switch PCB. A few photos are below. These steps will be incorporated into the installation instructions.

_DSC4588.jpg

_DSC4590.jpg

_DSC4591.jpg

_DSC4592.jpg

_DSC4595.jpg

Attachments

• _DSC4594.jpg
    _DSC4594.jpg
    601.6 KB · Views: 416
Last edited:
Probably late in the game to mention ideas about the camera mount, but what the heck? Anyone thought about swapping out the lens, and pointing it at a small, close, concave mirror

Yes.. I thought about this and, aside from replacing the lens, someone tried a 90-degree mirror with no luck. I didn't look at the camera close enough to see how easy it would be to get the lens off, but I'm not sure I'm willing to pry my ~$400 camera apart to try. I tried looking at the possibility of an add-on lens (like the ones you see on added to a smart phone) to convert from wide-angle to "normal" but I don't think that's possible. Any photographers want to weigh in?

Yes.. I thought about this and, aside from replacing the lens, someone tried a 90-degree mirror with no luck. I didn't look at the camera close enough to see how easy it would be to get the lens off, but I'm not sure I'm willing to pry my ~$400 camera apart to try. I tried looking at the possibility of an add-on lens (like the ones you see on added to a smart phone) to convert from wide-angle to "normal" but I don't think that's possible. Any photographers want to weigh in?
While I haven't had the camera fully disassembled (only maybe 50%), from what I have seen the lens is pretty well-integrated. This should probably be expected given you need a water-tight enclosure capable of withstanding a direct blast of high-pressure water. Removing the lens and having it replaced with something else while preventing moisture from entering the enclosure is no small task.

You could create an assembly that allows secondary lens to be threaded on in front of the existing one, but if you try to convert from wide-angle back to something approaching normal perspective you'll just lose the edges of the frame. In other words, no real benefit. It might be worth trying something out just to fit a plain UV filter in front of the camera for protection, but I'm somewhat dubious that will be of value. While there may be models I haven't seen, UV filters typically aren't designed for ballistic protection.

(Note to clarify: In modern digital photography UV filters provide no filtering benefit as digital cameras aren't sensitive to UV light. So, UV filters are often used as fancy lens protectors.)

Last edited:
While I haven't had the camera fully disassembled (only maybe 50%), from what I have seen the lens is pretty well-integrated. This should probably be expected given you need a water-tight enclosure capable of withstanding a direct blast of high-pressure water. Removing the lens and having it replaced with something else while preventing moisture from entering the enclosure is no small task.

You could create an assembly that allows secondary lens to be threaded on in front of the existing one, but if you try to convert from wide-angle back to something approaching normal perspective you'll just lose the edges of the frame. In other words, no real benefit. It might be worth trying something out just to fit a plain UV filter in front of the camera for protection, but I'm somewhat dubious that will be of value. While there may be models I haven't seen, UV filters typically aren't designed for ballistic protection.

(Note to clarify: In modern digital photography UV filters provide no filtering benefit as digital cameras aren't sensitive to UV light. So, UV filters are often used as fancy lens protectors.)

Agree completely with Gizmotoy's judgment.

Normally, I want the rear view camera on all the time so I can see the blind spots (the side mirrors don't quite do it as they don't angle out far enough). The front camera will only be used in some parking situations.

Normally, I want the rear view camera on all the time so I can see the blind spots (the side mirrors don't quite do it as they don't angle out far enough). The front camera will only be used in some parking situations.

Then you would not need any"backup light" auto-switching at all. You would manually switch to the front camera only when parking and then switch back.

I would vote for it's always switched to the front camera except when Reverse is engaged, it switches to the rear camera, and then auto-switches back to the front when done reversing.

With the SW2 connection to the PCB from the backup light power, it will automatically switch to the rear camera if the front camera is on when reverse is engaged. But it will not switch back to the front camera when drive is engaged. That has to be done manually with the remote or Homelink.

Any solution involving auto switching to front camera would mean that the front camera would always be on unless reverse is engaged. So, for example, you could not use the rear camera to see traffic behind you in heavy traffic, which I do frequently.

Nonetheless, I'll raise this issue with WhiteP85 so see what he thinks. I don't know if there's a way to make the front camera the default, but I am curious to know. Will post what we conclude. Perhaps there's a way to make this an installation option so each driver can set it up the way he or she prefers.

+1. This is my exact requirement, as well. The reverse wire will be useful still, since it will then mean I only need to put the front camera on while pulling into a parking spot, and then when I return to the car and start backing out it will go to rear camera and stay there as I drive.

Perfect setup, as is, for me. But I agree, some flexibility would be nice for others, if possible. Maybe on V2.

+1. This is my exact requirement, as well. The reverse wire will be useful still, since it will then mean I only need to put the front camera on while pulling into a parking spot, and then when I return to the car and start backing out it will go to rear camera and stay there as I drive.

Perfect setup, as is, for me. But I agree, some flexibility would be nice for others, if possible. Maybe on V2.

Perfect for me too!!

Any solution involving auto switching to front camera would mean that the front camera would always be on unless reverse is engaged. So, for example, you could not use the rear camera to see traffic behind you in heavy traffic, which I do frequently.

I would rephrase this to: Any solution involving auto switching to front camera would mean that the front camera would always be on unless reverse is engaged or manually switched to the rear camera with homelink or the remote when reverse is not engaged.

So it certainly would be possible to watch rear traffic if one wanted to by using the remote if the front camera is selected by default. And yes, I'm agreeing this should be a user selectable option: Front Default, or Rear Default, or no default (camera stays in last selected mode).

It would be cool if there were three options that you could select on the go "front, rear, and corresponding to drive/reverse condition"

that would let you choose whether it is in front/rear camera manually most of the time, but if you wanted in certain situations you could have it set to auto switch back and forth when the car switches back and forth from drive to reverse and back.

Dumb question: Is it possible to know when we select the CAMERA icon on touch screen it activates a relay so every time its selected it goes from front to rear at each press??? Did I explain that right???

The camera icon will always show whatever camera the PCB has set the touchscreen to. Getting the icon to do something else requires electronics that are beyond what WhiteP85 has done with the camera switch PCB.

The remote, which syncs with Homelink, has two functional buttons. One toggles the camera between front and rear. The second forces the camera to the rear. So Homelink can be set up with both.

Gotcha! Ok if the camera is already on the rear, when we put car in reverse will it "blink" and go to the rear, or just stay on?

Update: Haven't had a chance to hook up the reverse light connection but WhiteP85 tells me that if the front camera is selected the rear will go on automatically when the car is put into reverse then switch to the front camera when in forward. Perfect for parallel parking situations, but not good if you want a rear view while driving. For that you'd have to toggle to the rear camera using the remote or HomeLink.

Based on my experience with the beta PCB I'm assuming it will just stay on with no blink. But I still haven't hooked up the reverse light 12v connection. I'm doing that tomorrow and will report back here when it's been tested.

Last edited:
Can I please get added to the pre order list
please email me to link to order
thanks
Update: Haven't had a chance to hook up the reverse light connection but WhiteP85 tells me that if the front camera is selected the rear will go on automatically when the car is put into reverse then switch to the front camera when in forward. Perfect for parallel parking situations, but not good if you want a rear view while driving. For that you'd have to toggle to the rear camera using the remote or HomeLink.

Based on my experience with the beta PCB I'm assuming it will just stay on with no blink. But I still haven't hooked up the reverse light 12v connection. I'm doing that tomorrow and will report back here when it's been tested.