Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front-rear camera touchscreen parking protection switch kit reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully this is still the correct part number Tesla, part #1006773-00-E for the camera. Tesla had a 1006773-00-D camera available. Is the E the correct camera?
Cost $361 + tax. Obviously this mod voids the warranty on the screen
Please confirm Camera part Number.
Thanks

That is a great point. Does this modification void any portion of the manufacturers warranty. Especially for people like me who purchased the extended warranty particularly because the center screen such an expensive piece to replace. In general, aftermarket modifications have not been able to avoid a manufacturers warranty by law. Any insight by others would be greatly appreciated. I may also speak with the service center regarding this as I have an appointment to get the TPMS Bluetooth antenna upgraded next week.

Hopefully this is still the correct part number Tesla, part #1006773-00-E for the camera. Tesla had a 1006773-00-D camera available. Is the E the correct camera?
Cost $361 + tax. Obviously this mod voids the warranty on the screen
Please confirm Camera part Number.
Thanks

D is ok. It's the same thing.

As for the warranty, if that was a major concern for me I would't touch a thing on the car. That's each individual's matter to decide. In all my years of marking modifications to my cars I've never had warranty issues.

On one of these threads someone indicated that the parking lights turn on when the car is put in reverse. If that's true it would be far easier to tap that lead. If not, has someone yet figured out where the leads for the backup lights are?

I believe they were talking about the cornering lights. I can confirm this is the way my car behaves (I have no fog lights).

Been watching the progress for a long time. Very impressive and looking forward to it.

One thing I have been wondering is how well the camera does when driving around in the winter - does is it get to covered in slush. Secondarily, I wonder if anyone has any ideas about a thin clear 'paint armor' that we can put on the camera surface to protect from a stone chip.

Good news. The Chinese cable kit should be available for online orders in a day or two. Also replacement cable kits will ship next week to the ten buyers who bought the faulty sets months ago.

The cable kit will cost new buyers about $40 plus shipping from China. The replacement kits will be shipped free of charge to the ten.

Good news. The Chinese cable kit should be available for online orders in a day or two. Also replacement cable kits will ship next week to the ten buyers who bought the faulty sets months ago.

The cable kit will cost new buyers about $40 plus shipping from China. The replacement kits will be shipped free of charge to the ten.

Great news! I am still debating about this since I'm not sure about the install. The lighted T install was easy but I am concerned about the driver's side kick panel.

Great news! I am still debating about this since I'm not sure about the install. The lighted T install was easy but I am concerned about the driver's side kick panel.

The kick panel just snaps out and all of the cable connections are in plain sight and easy to make. You make the connections, put the switch box in place, and snap the panel back in. The trickier part of the install is running the cable from the front camera, but that's also pretty easy. I hope to post the instructions in a few days.

- - - Updated - - -

The Chinese cable kit is now available for purchase online.

The kick panel just snaps out and all of the cable connections are in plain sight and easy to make. You make the connections, put the switch box in place, and snap the panel back in. The trickier part of the install is running the cable from the front camera, but that's also pretty easy. I hope to post the instructions in a few days.

- - - Updated - - -

The Chinese cable kit is now available for purchase online.

Rick how does the box get power? Do we splice into something?

Rick how does the box get power? Do we splice into something?

There will be two options, an OBD2 connector that taps power (and conveniently located) or tap into a switched power source in the same kick panel area. Working on the installation instructions for all of this.

I've been driving around now with the switch box powered via the OBD2 source and the battery drain does not appear to be a matter of concern. But the switched option means that the switch will be shut down with the car power and thus no drain at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Just so I'm clear. We order the Chinese cable. Then we get the camera from Tesla. And then we order the kit. Is this right? Is there anything else we need?

The OBD2 connector will be an option for those who want the easiest way to tap power for the switch. Also a few standard tools. The install instructions will have all of this.

Rick, you are a saint for taking on this project!

Would you have any real time experience to share with respect to today's snow?

I have my front plate mounted using the Skene attachment. Not sure that would work with the license plate holder you are fashioning.

Cheers!