Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front-rear camera touchscreen parking protection switch kit reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, $29 gets this reprogrammable (can be reflashed from USB) CANBUS reader.
http://http://www.karlssonrobotics.com/cart/bus-pirate/?gclid=CKbN8enNuL0CFcRefgodL5YARg

Maybe we can incorporate this type of reader with a PIC micro controller to read the backup message

Rick, the installation plan gets power from the CANbus connector doesn't it? Future rev of the video switch board might be able to incorporate this. I'll see what I can discover when I install mine.

Well, $29 gets this reprogrammable (can be reflashed from USB) CANBUS reader.
http://http://www.karlssonrobotics.com/cart/bus-pirate/?gclid=CKbN8enNuL0CFcRefgodL5YARg

Maybe we can incorporate this type of reader with a PIC micro controller to read the backup message

Rick, the installation plan gets power from the CANbus connector doesn't it? Future rev of the video switch board might be able to incorporate this. I'll see what I can discover when I install mine.

The switch is powered one of three ways: via a direct 12v connection via the OBD2 connector supplied with the kit, via a tap to the yellow wire with purple stripe in one of bundles behind the drivers side kick panel, or to fuse #75 in fuse box #3. The latter are switched off with the car. The OBD2 connection is always on and thus results in a very small 12v battery drain. No CANbus connection is made.

OK. Now were going to have a contest. The person who identifies one of the correct wires below wins a free camera switch.

1. The wire in harness on the driver or passenger side kick panels that supply 12 volts to backup lights
2. The wire to the front parking lights that turn them on when the car is placed in reverse
2. The wire in harness under dash that instructs car to be placed into reverse when the shifter is moved from drive or neutral position to reverse (this one may be a bit tricky and may not even be 12v, so it's a last resort)

The camera switch has a connection for a 12v signal that triggers when the car is placed in reverse. That will automatically switch to the rear camera when the front camera is on.
Call me crazy, but would looking at the Mercedes wiring colors help with the MS colors?

---- Update ----
reminder: read to the end of the thread before posting crazy ideas.

WARRANTY ISSUES?
So has anyone found out if after installing the front camera, if their are any warranty issues? Will Tesla Motors no longer honor your warranty once you proceed with this?
Thanks!

Not as far was we know. This appears to have been one service center's judgment without any verification.

Thanks to SUPRKAR we know know that the reverse lamp wire comes from the body controller. This is located on the passenger side under the carpet. First we remove the side panel. This is the same panel you remove on the driver’s side to access the camera/touchscreen connections. After the panel is removed the carpet is pulled back, revealing the body controller cover and two large connectors. Find the grey connector and purple wire with green stripe. We’ve verified that this is the same wiring color at the reverse light itself. This wire is tapped and connected to the PCB. We’re going to suggest adding a low amp inline fuse to protect the controller maybe even a diode for back feed protection as this is one of the more expensive controllers in the car. I’ll be adding this information to the installation instructions.

SUPRKAR wins the free camera switch.

Rockville Service Center appears to have no problem with this mod. They are well aware of Rick and this project, and have not expressed any reservation or warranty concerns. I also have 8 years of service and warranty, and they have not said one word about this project negating either the service or the warranty.

I'll admit that I haven't placed an order because of the report that Tesla is considering yanking warranty if one installs this mod. I paid for 8 years of service and 8 years of warranty and would feel really stupid to lose that...
My service center is the one that balked (supposedly under Fremont's direction), and my car goes in tomorrow to hopefully fix the parking sensors. I'll try to get more information, but the rep. I've found to be the most knowledgeable is out on vacation :(.

I know I'm on the short list for the updated BCM (Body Control Module) with better RF shielding, so I won't be doing that part of the install any time soon.

Keeping Your Mod's Warranty Intact - For Dummies
Interesting stuff in here.. puts me more at ease about it.

Seems pretty accurate. The part has to cause the failure for a manufacturer to dishonor the warranty. As a practical matter, though, manufacturers often attempt to make this a matter for the courts and back off if you follow through with the proceedings. My last car had a note in its file that its entire powertrain warranty (front/rear/center diffs and engine) was voided when I changed the intake, for example. Fortunately I never needed it, but that would have required some court time to resolve.

No idea how Tesla will handle it, but they did not sound particularly happy about it. Certainly the camera, dash screen/computer, and BCM warranties are at risk if they choose to take a hard line on this.

Last edited:
If I let fear of warranty issues drive my decisions I'd never touch my cars:) I've been going these kinds of things all of my life -- E-types, Honda, a Chevy Volt, a few Audis and never had a warranty issue of any kind.

But for those who worry about these kinds of things, to put your mind at ease, stay away from the camera switch. Then you'll have nothing to be concerned about.

P85's work on the camera switch involved a very thorough evaluation of the camera electronics and their interactions with the touchscreen. He runs an electronics company so he does this kind of thing for a living and knows his stuff.

We're now up to 58 orders.

When does the price fall below $225?

So the price is now $225, will it drop (via rebates) when it reaches 100 or before that? I know that there is one person waiting to order 25 on April 5th, so with the 58 you have now, and with the additional 25, that would put you and potentially 83.

Thanks.

If I let fear of warranty issues drive my decisions I'd never touch my cars:) I've been going these kinds of things all of my life -- E-types, Honda, a Chevy Volt, a few Audis and never had a warranty issue of any kind.

But for those who worry about these kinds of things, to put your mind at ease, stay away from the camera switch. Then you'll have nothing to be concerned about.

P85's work on the camera switch involved a very thorough evaluation of the camera electronics and their interactions with the touchscreen. He runs an electronics company so he does this kind of thing for a living and knows his stuff.

We're now up to 58 orders.

So the price is now $225, will it drop (via rebates) when it reaches 100 or before that? I know that there is one person waiting to order 25 on April 5th, so with the 58 you have now, and with the additional 25, that would put you and potentially 83.

Thanks.

When we reach the April 5 order deadline with all orders in hand as of that date, we'll calculate the rebate and begin sending them to those who have ordered as of that date. For orders after that date, a new lower price will be established, but it won't be lower that what the early adapters have paid, including their rebates.

The 25 bulk order will be calculated into all of this.

Based on the current number of orders (63), and assuming the bulk buy of 25 will happen, it now appears that everyone who orders by the April 5 deadline will receive a rebate of about $75. The price will be reset after April 5 but taking the rebate into account the early adapters will pay less than those who order after April 5.

Last edited: