Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front sonic sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Gt1948

2017 S FSD AP 3.0 MCU 1
Aug 17, 2017
Millington TN
1967467A-8DF9-49C7-84BB-77188F7AE121.jpeg
when are the front sensors suppose to warn when getting too close to another vehicle? White amber red. I have yet to see them.

I get the rear alerts all the time when traffic is in blind spot as depicted.

View attachment 268681 when are the front sensors suppose to warn when getting too close to another vehicle? White amber red. I have yet to see them.

I get the rear alerts all the time when traffic is in blind spot as depicted.

In my experience, the front sonar is designed to let you know when you are too close to something you can't see when you are parking, not driving. They are short range . You yourself should be able to see large things in the lane next to you. The rear sonars watch your blind spot.

Others may have different observations.

Reactions: Gt1948
A few months ago someone inside tesla posted on reddit thay the sonic sensors on the front of the vehicle are useless above about 8 MPH because of the wind noise they fight (they're sonic after all). This is consistent with my experience as only the front sensors on the outer-most position (not facing front) report anything while driving and the front sensors only show something when going very slow.

• Informative
Reactions: whitex
@kdday
My ? Exactly, those corner sensors. Have watched videos where they show up when vehicles are close.

When i bought my car, it was still in learning mode.. It did not show up for couple of days (My first trip was on the day of delivery from LA to SFO), before I started seeing them. I also saw this "learning mode" Control->Settings->Vebicle "bottom of all the options, it will say something like learning.."

After the latest Software Update 2017.50.2 3bd9f6d I noticed my left side sensors were not picking up anything, but the right ones were picking up the sidewalk. After about 50 miles I noticed that the left ones are working/learning? Not really well yet but at least I see them come on.

The ultrasonic sensors are PARKING-AID sensors. They are useless in traffic as there are completely unreliable. It's just another one of Elon's "I'm a genius" brainfarts that nobody at Tesla had the guts to challenge when he announced them with AP1 as blind spot monitoring. It wouldn't have taken very long to discredit such an idea (there is a reason why every other car manufacturer uses radar for BSM), but you know, Elon is never wrong. Tesla even had a in-mirror blind spot light appear in their mirror electrical schematics in the service manual (which would be the perfect place to display such warnings) but they finally realized Elon was wrong and never implemented it. I've had mine since 2015, at best, in perfect weather it's 50% accurate - NEVER TRUST IT. I've driven cheap rental cars with radar based BSM and those work, but Elon will not admit he was wrong, and rather than add tried and functional BSM sensors, he's now thinking ultrasonic and camera (which may some day work, but nobody knows when). Same approach for automatic rain sensor, they removed a functional sensor over a year ago and substituted it with Elon's vapourware which was "coming Dec 2016" until later Tesla just removed it from their specs, now it's "what rain sensing wipers?" .