Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk easy close spring mod

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So is the consensus that the sp-9609 is the best without having to but it at all?

I still have the SP-9609 on mine with the Jeep struts almost two years later. It pops easily in warm temperatures and always closes easily. When temperatures get below freezing, it hesitates a little more. Down around 0*F it sometimes needs a nudge to get moving, but then again so do I.

• Informative
Reactions: Perscitus and srk67
I switched to SP-9610 from the originally suggested 9604 springs and they've been working consistent every time. Might not give as much pop for the stronger struts to lift immediately but after a few seconds it always lifts. Not a bad trade off for it being much easier to close.

I've had the original strut mod on for almost 2 years now, and I put a mid-way lighter spring on as well. Actually it's two springs in parallel. Trial and error. Testing it, I don't see a safety issue. It's been smooth and fine except that when it's cold, the frunk doesn't just open. Lube alone doesn't solve it. I know I need to clean up the strut cavity, sand and then polish the balls (to remove paint remains), then lube. Got to do the same thing thing on the trunk. So I've been too lazy to do it yet. Goes to show how urgent a mod that was LOL.

I was so excited for this mod on my Y. Went to home depot, bought the springs cut off two coils and bent the end. I go to install the spring and find out the model Y has a compeltly different setup and has no (visible?) spring. So now what can I do?
Take the 2 mounting bolts and see what’s on the other side. I’d suggest pencil marking the edge first to make sure it goes back to the same place.