Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk easy close spring mod

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the youtube comments, people are saying you have to replace the struts or else the spring is not strong enough to open the frunk. Has anyone found a stronger spring that allows for easy close but doesn't require you to replace the struts?

Just installed a lighter spring, Prime-Line SP-9610, 5/8"(16mm) x 2.5"(6.4cm) x .072(1.8mm),19.1 lbs.
I cut 2.5 coils off to make the length similar to the original spring. It is definitely much easier to close and so far, consistently pops the frunk. I have not replaced the frunk struts.

Prime-Line Extension Spring 0.072 " X 5/8 " X 2-1/2 " Steel Polybag Of 2 49793096104 | eBay

IMG_1453.jpg

Last edited:
Just installed a lighter spring, Prime-Line SP-9610, 5/8"(16mm) x 2.5"(6.4cm) x .072(1.8mm),19.1 lbs.
I cut 2.5 coils off to make the length similar to the original spring. It is definitely much easier to close and so far, consistently pops the frunk. I have not replaced the frunk struts.

Prime-Line Extension Spring 0.072 " X 5/8 " X 2-1/2 " Steel Polybag Of 2 49793096104 | eBay

View attachment 420656
I know this is a noob question, but what tool did you use to cut the coils?

Actually, it's a really good question. I used a compound wire cutting pliers that my Dad purchased decades ago. I might try long handled bolt cutters. It was a little tricky as I needed to cut a coil, separate it then cut the next coil. Bending the last one up also took a little work.

• Informative
Reactions: Scott7 and chronopc

I almost posted the same quesiton after trying needle nose pliers, various wire cutters, metal wire cutters (that were too big for the small spring), and eventually gave up used a rotary tool (Dremel) to cut through the coils. Definitely wear safety glasses while doing this.

Then I made the new loop by wedging the spring in a bench vise and used a standard pliers to force the new end into shape.

I watched the i1tesla video and am really tempted, but am concerned about the safety. Is there any conclusive determination on how safe it is long term? Why would Tesla engineers over engineer this piece of it wasn’t needed?

My understanding (from reading this thread) is that Tesla designed the spring so that the hood would pop up. If the frunk struts are replaced with the iTesla recommended struts, these new struts will pop the hood up. Thus a strong spring is not needed.

As far as long term, I don’t think it is a safety issues, but we (I) will see. If you have no issues closing the frunk using the stock spring, why change it out?

I watched the i1tesla video and am really tempted, but am concerned about the safety. Is there any conclusive determination on how safe it is long term? Why would Tesla engineers over engineer this piece of it wasn’t needed?

From the theories posted here, it seems like it was over engineered for edge cases rather than safety where weight is on the hood like snow/ice or when the rubber seal sticks to the hood from being closed for too long. If true, it's basically a trade-off (if any) of convenience. I've had no issues since replacing my frunk spring and I've used it more in the past few weeks than I did during the first six months of having the car.