Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk easy close spring mod

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My husband saw the video. We were not able to get the original struts linked from Amazon, but he found similar/same ones from somewhere else. He installed the struts and a lighter spring today.

I don't like it. When it opens, I am afraid of it. It opens with such force. If I'm prepared and know it is going to open, then I'm fine. But if I was somewhere near the front of the car and maybe if my shoelace was untied and i bent over right as my husband opened the frunk, I feel like it would take my head off (ok, I'm exaggerating a bit here, but it seems like it would hurt). Once during testing, my husband's elbow was in the way when he opened the frunk and it hit him. I think it definitely hurt him a little.

The trade-off for the auto-opening feature means that it's harder for me to close it. I'm small and short. Reaching up for the hood and then trying to pull it down is difficult. There is a lot of resistance as the hood is trying to stay open. So much so that if I was like within 6" of closing the hood and then my hand slipped, I think the hood would hit me in the face. (I know, chances are slim, but the hood with a fresh coat of wax is slippery!) Once it's about 2-3" from being closed, it's easy. It takes a lot less force to click it closed. Now it takes me 2 hands to pull the hood down to close it....but only one hand to actually get it to latch closed. Whereas before, it takes me 1 hand to pull the hood down and 2 hands to get it to latch.

We are leaving the 2nd car as-is for now. I may look into @Nikola M3 's suggestion and try out the 19lb springs with the stock struts.

• Funny
Reactions: Leafdriver333
  • Informative
Reactions: T3SL4AFBruh
Someone is going to yell at me and say something about how bad it is to install 2 springs side by side in this way but here's a pic. :) Doesn't seem that the second spring can easily fall out on its own BTW.

I also included pics to show the opening amount with one or both of these springs.

@stephen503 How has the 2-spring setup been working? Any issues? I just got my springs delivered today and plan on doing the 2-spring mod since I have stock struts. Thanks!

@stephen503 How has the 2-spring setup been working? Any issues? I just got my springs delivered today and plan on doing the 2-spring mod since I have stock struts. Thanks!

I've hardly used my frunk since getting the car, although that was partly due to fear of scratching the paint when pressing down to close it. I plan to use the frunk more now but still haven't needed to use it over the rear trunk.

That being said, no issues with the frunk opening unexpectedly, so that's good...

Reactions: follow.johnny
Question: How can a person open the frunk if it doesn't pop open by itself?

In other words....Remove the spring altogether and see if you can open the Frunk.

I wonder if a window sucker would work.

If you're wondering if the frunk will open without this spring, it will not. The frunk would not move at all. The latch release mechanism would move over to allow the frunk to be open but the frunk would not be push upwards without the spring.

If you're currently trying to open the frunk without the spring, then sounds like you need something to leverage the frunk up a bit within the panel gaps. An industrial size window sucker may work.

I used 2 large springs as Stephen503 that I got from Home Depot (didn't use the 2 small ones) but the frunk won't open any gap without the stronger struts. I have to use my little finger to get it open each time. I guess I will have to find a stronger spring or something or go back to the stock one...

A – original - .083 wire, .572 OD – 3” pull = 35 pounds

B – similar to what OP used - .034 wire, .375 OD – 3” pull = 4.5 pounds

C – my preference - .056 wire, .375 OD – 3” pull = 19 pounds

Going to try this one from Amazon that appears relatively close to your "C" but a little more stout.
Prime-Line Products SP 9609 Spring, Extension, 7/16-Inch by 2-Inch - .062 Diameter,(Pack of 2)

Reactions: S2000
I don't think I will get the full value, as I am likely to move to the UK next year and my car will probably have 20 - 30k miles on it at most.

I'm also going to pick up this smaller spring after I'm off work today. I'll also report back as well! :)

I just ordered mine as well. Please let me know if you guys use 2 of the smaller/bigger ones from the Everbilt 5/8 in. x 2-1/2 in. and 5/8 in. x 3-1/4 in. Zinc-Plated Extension Spring (4-pack)-16089 - The Home Depot

They mentioned that you only need 1 of the smaller springs since it’s have more lb of force than the new spring they are used with the modified struts for the auto open. I’ll confirm tonight! Stay tuned.

i don't have modified frunk as in the struts. i have stock struts. i've read and saw multiple threads that you need at least 2 of them or else your frunk won't open with just 1 of them unless i'm mistaken. if you can please let me know that would be great.