Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk easy close spring mod

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone posted on the Tesla Forum about finding a heavier weight spring from Home Depot that works with the stock struts.

They noted to use the smaller one in this pack works.
Souce: Finally a frunk soft close solution? | Tesla
Link: Everbilt 5/8 in. x 2-1/2 in. and 5/8 in. x 3-1/4 in. Zinc-Plated Extension Spring (4-pack)-16089 - The Home Depot

Update: Just finished installing the single spring from the set of 4 (I used the smaller size spring 5/8 in. x 2-1/2 in.) The weight is about 19.4 lbs. Works perfect with stock struts. Took some crappy photos in my garage for the install and how much the hood lifts up with the new spring.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

Reactions: follow.johnny
My hood with stronger struts actually failed to open on two separate occasions today after installing the spring (SP 9604) that Brian/i1Tesla used. The frunk opened fine in the garage when leaving in the morning, but after driving 45 minutes on a cool wet day, some part of the hood or latch had stuck a bit and the spring wasn't strong enough to lift the hood up at all. I used a pry tool to lift the hood slightly which was enough for the struts to do the rest. The same thing happened again when I arrived home; hood didn't move at all when latch was released and had to stick a pry tool in.

My hood with stronger struts actually failed to open on two separate occasions today after installing the spring (SP 9604) that Brian/i1Tesla used. The frunk opened fine in the garage when leaving in the morning, but after driving 45 minutes on a cool wet day, some part of the hood or latch had stuck a bit and the spring wasn't strong enough to lift the hood up at all. I used a pry tool to lift the hood slightly which was enough for the struts to do the rest. The same thing happened again when I arrived home; hood didn't move at all when latch was released and had to stick a pry tool in.
You could use the same one that many of us have installed now with the factory struts. It won't be as soft a close as what Brian/i1Tesla shows with the non-factory struts, but it would still be a much easier close than stock, and should be strong enough to lift up your hood since it works with the stock struts. Just use one of the smaller springs from the Home Depot package.

You could use the same one that many of us have installed now with the factory struts. It won't be as soft a close as what Brian/i1Tesla shows with the non-factory struts, but it would still be a much easier close than stock, and should be strong enough to lift up your hood since it works with the stock struts. Just use one of the smaller springs from the Home Depot package.
Yeah, I've already ordered the Prime Line SP 9610 as suggested by fsl2102. As long as it doesn't fail to pop the hood and remains easier to close than stock, I don't mind at all!

For the record I just got back from Home Depot and installed the spring and it's not quite strong enough to pop my frunk. I added some white lithium grease and made sure everything was smooth, but just not quite enough for mine. I left it in for now and need to use my fingers to pry it open until I find a slightly beefier one. I would estimate another 10% to 25% would get me there (about 22-25 lbs). So my PSA announcement for today is that 19 lbs spring will NOT work for everyone....

For the record I just got back from Home Depot and installed the spring and it's not quite strong enough to pop my frunk. I added some white lithium grease and made sure everything was smooth, but just not quite enough for mine. I left it in for now and need to use my fingers to pry it open until I find a slightly beefier one. I would estimate another 10% to 25% would get me there (about 22-25 lbs). So my PSA announcement for today is that 19 lbs spring will NOT work for everyone....

Which Home Depot spring exactly did you use? The 16089? Short or long?

Last edited:

Why wouldn't this work for everyone who has the STOCK STRUTS? It's literally the same spring if you brought the correct one.