Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk LED Light Strip for Model 3 or Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received the Hansshow RGB light strip and it came with extra wiring/fuse that attaches directly to the Pos & Neg of the 12V battery. Online video did not make that clear and I had to reach out to them for installation instructions. I assume this is to correct some of the Frunk lift issues people have mentioned.

Interesting. I had honestly given up on this mod. I tried all sorts of combinations with posi tap etc and nothing worked. The button in the frunk would just not work if it was hooked up with the EV offer power frunk installed. Did you order directly from Hansshow?

I just received the Hansshow RGB light strip and it came with extra wiring/fuse that attaches directly to the Pos & Neg of the 12V battery. Online video did not make that clear and I had to reach out to them for installation instructions. I assume this is to correct some of the Frunk lift issues people have mentioned.

Interesting. I had honestly given up on this mod. I tried all sorts of combinations with posi tap etc and nothing worked. The button in the frunk would just not work if it was hooked up with the EV offer power frunk installed. Did you order directly from Hansshow?
HI @101dals have you tried other lower draw LEDs powering from the frunk button? I've been using EVoffer's frunk for months now and no issue if I use SMD LEDs (instead of COB).

I never tried them. You mentioned to me but was hoping to get these to work. I was going to try the relay route but I just put it on the back burner. I was using the additional ground method that EV offer suggested but I couldn’t get that to keep the button working.

HI @101dals have you tried other lower draw LEDs powering from the frunk button? I've been using EVoffer's frunk for months now and no issue if I use SMD LEDs (instead of COB).

I never tried them. You mentioned to me but was hoping to get these to work. I was going to try the relay route but I just put it on the back burner. I was using the additional ground method that EV offer suggested but I couldn’t get that to keep the button working.
Sorry to hear you’re still having trouble. The separate earth like mine still didn’t work??

I couldn’t get the extra ground to work. I had some other ideas but didn’t try it again since we were going on vacation and needed the trunk button more than the light. It’s still on my to do list but a little lower down. 😀
I’m surprised that didn’t solve your problem, but our steering wheels are on different sides so who knows what else is different.
I’m happy to try and help when you’re ready to tackle it again.

Reactions: 101dals
Oh darn @101dals . I see your picture is from a Y but I don't think my MIC M3 RWD in Australia differs too much. Over the weekend I'll take some pictures of what mine looks like and how I'm getting power to my frunk with button working, as well as lights to trunk and lower trunk compartment. Just to confirm, you're still using EVOffer's auto frunk or Hannshow's? and the only the button doesn't work correct (as in, it doesn't close)? Or does the button light up at all?

Thanks! EV offer power frunk but Hansshow light strip. The button in the frunk won’t close the frunk if the light strip is attached. The light on button remains on.

Oh darn @101dals . I see your picture is from a Y but I don't think my MIC M3 RWD in Australia differs too much. Over the weekend I'll take some pictures of what mine looks like and how I'm getting power to my frunk with button working, as well as lights to trunk and lower trunk compartment. Just to confirm, you're still using EVOffer's auto frunk or Hannshow's? and the only the button doesn't work correct (as in, it doesn't close)? Or does the button light up at all?

Attachments

• 4B4B5051-8165-4CC2-9C5F-F97E7F006144.jpeg
    4B4B5051-8165-4CC2-9C5F-F97E7F006144.jpeg
    274.2 KB · Views: 172
  • 90077D79-114E-4EE6-A511-F751F81ED4B4.jpeg
    90077D79-114E-4EE6-A511-F751F81ED4B4.jpeg
    399.5 KB · Views: 132
Thanks! EV offer power frunk but Hansshow light strip. The button in the frunk won’t close the frunk if the light strip is attached. The light on button remains on.
so just revisited my set up. Didn't take a picture before replacing all the frunk tub. Anyway:

SMD 20cm LED strip. +ve and -ve to a new male connector (2 pins). For serviceability. LED strip is stuck to the frunk tub with a hole drilled allowing the wire / connector to sneak through.

(connects to)

new female 2 pins connector. +ve to frunk button grey wire. -ve to chassis GND. the +ve to grey wire is wrapped inside wire casing and sits in the recess between the latching mechanism and the frunk tub. the -ve runs to the left side of the front wheel well GND point.

>> EVOffer auto frunk kit harness unmodified - just connect per their original instructions

What I've found in the past couple of months is that, since the wires on the frunk buttons are so thin (very low draw on the frunk button), any major movement of the wire may lose connection. I didn't have access to any posi-tap or posi-twist, but I tend to cut wire(s) and use waterproof 2 or 3 pins connectors as I'm okay with soldering, etc.

NOTE - if your LED is drawing too much, it may / will stop the frunk button from lighting up or functioning. I have done that with other COB LEDs. Can add relay so that pin 30 goes to auto frunk's power source behind an inline fuse; pin 85 goes to frunk button's grey as signal; pin 86 goes to chassis GND; and pin 87 goes to LED +ve. This way your LED isn't being powered by the frunk button.

So it looks like the new harness from Hansshow now uses a relay....Which is what we all said from the get go. This is what I kinda thought too after adding the extra earth really that didn't do anything. Now the question is should I buy the additional parts and add to the light strip that they sent me or just buy a new rewired strip.....

So it looks like the new harness from Hansshow now uses a relay....Which is what we all said from the get go. This is what I kinda thought too after adding the extra earth really that didn't do anything. Now the question is should I buy the additional parts and add to the light strip that they sent me or just buy a new rewired strip.....

Yea they have the adaptor and relays so I’m just gonna buy it given I already have their frunk kit (think it should work with your evoffer kit too)…I will pay a bit more to reduce any trial/error as there is time opportunity for me

Thanks for sharing the pics @Akraft69

Please post your results with the relay version. I just hope they don’t send an old stock one without the relay (that would totally be my luck).

Yea they have the adaptor and relays so I’m just gonna buy it given I already have their frunk kit (think it should work with your evoffer kit too)…I will pay a bit more to reduce any trial/error as there is time opportunity for me

Thanks for sharing the pics @Akraft69

oh, Hannshow's kit has relay in the harness? interesting. if it still doesn't work i'd suggest you bypass all these add-on stuff and just go low-draw LED play simple relay and try out (not going through any kits). Yes, if you can work your way around a multimeter is even better. afterall, we're all working with electrics here. :p

I was finally able to contact Hansshow. They put me on a What's App text string with the technical support people. From what a few of the tech support guys said, all of the shipping models of the Frunk light now have the relay built in to the harness. I placed an order today for it. Not sure how long the ETA is since one person on the string said that the item was backordered....

Please post your results with the relay version. I just hope they don’t send an old stock one without the relay (that would totally be my luck).

Did you get the strip with the relay? Trying to contact hansshow via chat or email is virtually impossible.

I was finally able to contact Hansshow. They put me on a What's App text string with the technical support people. From what a few of the tech support guys said, all of the shipping models of the Frunk light now have the relay built in to the harness. I placed an order today for it. Not sure how long the ETA is since one person on the string said that the item was backordered....

Hey sorry for the late reply…been busy and didn’t even have time to install yet cause I gotta take out frunk to run the positive/ negative loops

So yes I got the relay, 20a fuse on the positive battery loop and adaptors to the frunk light button for full plug and play solution so can revert to oem anytime

Will post my experience once I find time to install, maybe before Halloween so I can do a frunk trick or treat candy holder lol