Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk unlatched at 130mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At 130mph (maybe a mile or two over) my MCU and IC started screaming at me to pull over immediately because the front trunk had come unlatched.

I had to press a button on the mcu so I could keep driving and pull over safely.

the frunk did not fully fly open thankfully but now I’m nervous it’ll happen again.

I opened and closed it several times and it seems to be latched completely but it definitely wasn’t when I got the error.

anyone had this happen before?
(Please note. I was on a closed course safely so please don’t get it into the WHY I was driving so fast)

At 130mph (maybe a mile or two over) my MCU and IC started screaming at me to pull over immediately because the front trunk had come unlatched.

I had to press a button on the mcu so I could keep driving and pull over safely.

the frunk did not fully fly open thankfully but now I’m nervous it’ll happen again.

I opened and closed it several times and it seems to be latched completely but it definitely wasn’t when I got the error.

(Please note. I was on a closed course safely so please don’t get it into the WHY I was driving so fast)
Was your fob in your pocket? Any chance that you pressed it accidentally or maybe someone triggered via app/web? Will these cars even unlatch the frunk when not in park? Just brainstorming along w/you I guess as I'm interested how something like this is even possible but I don't have concrete info to add at this point. I know these cars will do some pretty crazy things (driving around w/hatch open for instance) that most "normal" car manufacturers wouldn't allow to happen but the frunk one seems like it would be locked down a lot more when in motion given the potential safety issues that could result.

Was your fob in your pocket? Any chance that you pressed it accidentally or maybe someone triggered via app/web? Will these cars even unlatch the frunk when not in park? Just brainstorming along w/you I guess as I'm interested how something like this is even possible but I don't have concrete info to add at this point. I know these cars will do some pretty crazy things (driving around w/hatch open for instance) that most "normal" car manufacturers wouldn't allow to happen but the frunk one seems like it would be locked down a lot more when in motion given the potential safety issues that could result.

Fob buttons for trunk and frunk don't do anything when the car is in gear.

Reactions: outdoors

Hmmm... not really. Perhaps, because I have never driven at 130mph. Yeah good thing that it didn’t just fly out or worse.

In all likelihood at that speed had it fully unlocked I would have expected it to get ripped off and flown over the car instead of just sitting there upright. A good design would have breakaway hinges, but I don't know that's done anymore. You don't hear about this as much as with older cars.

In either case you always hope this happens on a straight road and you know what's in front of you and you hit the hardware and just start slowing down. Don't try and change lanes. Hit the cameras and look over shoulder when the speed has dropped down and you KNOW what's behind and besides you.

track day. Pshhh...I90 floating bridge. (Again totally joking here and was on a safe course)

the fob was sitting in the middle console in the cup holder pretty much where it always is.

the only thing in the frunk was my dryer sheet to keep the mousies away.

this isn’t the first time I’ve drive at these speeds. Wasn’t even the first time that day. Back when I had my p85 rwd there was an electrify event locally. It was pretty neat to drive the cars at max speed for laps and laps and actually see what they can do. It was because of that I got comfortable and know HOW to handle the car at high speeds. But again. Time and place. I wouldn’t do it running down the 5.

At this point I’ll attribute it to possibly wasn’t fully latched for some reason. If only AP would engage at those speeds so that I’d be willing to test it again.

I'm guessing that at speed, aluminum panels flex more than steel, and there might have been just enough movement/deformation of the hood to "pop" the latch? Especially with crosswinds, buffeting, or moving in and out of a "draft" causing the hood to bounce up and down.

If this were the case, though, I'm sure it would have been reported already as Tesla does sell cars in Germany and I'm sure some owners there have maxed them out on the Autobahn sections where it is legal.

It's not the prettiest solution, but installing four NASCAR-style hood pins will prevent the frunk from flying open should there be an issue with the latch. :)

• Disagree
Reactions: DustinT
Good LORD! for the THIRD time. I wasn’t on ANY highway at those speeds. Cmon. Seattle area traffic. No chance in hell. Not even at midnight.

I was on a safe closed course. And as I stated in my first post. This isn’t about my speed but the frunk latch.

Good lord, give the young lady a break. She clearly stated this was NOT on a public road and then someone who obviously didn't read the post in entirety, or correctly, replied that she was on I-90. 130 mph is really not that fast. Here's a pic of my highly modified Turbo All-Trac taken around year 2000. Now that was really travelling back then.
Speedhut.jpg