Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSC Was 310 now 295?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

I searched for this but did not find anything.

My Model 3 is a year old and has 15K miles. When new it would charge to 310 miles at fsoc. Recently I took a road trip and charge to 100% and it would only charge to 295 miles.
Each time a I now charge to 100% it will only read 295.

Any idea on what has caused this?
I normally keep the battery soc at between 20-80%, charging to 80% then driving until reaching around 20% then recharging.

...My Model 3 is a year old and has 15K miles. When new it would charge to 310 miles at fsoc. Recently I took a road trip and charge to 100% and it would only charge to 295 miles...

Service Center recommends charging at 90%.

Your warranty covers 70% capacity so you still have a long way from it.

...charging to 80% then driving until reaching around 20% then recharging.

It's fine if you are on a road trip and need to deplete your battery that much but deep discharging should not be a routine.

If you spend 10% a day, don't wait for 6 days or 60% deep in order to recharge it.

Recharge it each day when it reached 10% shallow depth rather than wait for deeper discharge.

In summary,

1) Service Center is not going cover you when your capacity is still 70%
2) Please follow Service Center recommendation of 90% instead of lower than 90%
3) Please don't choose deep discharge over shallow discharge if you can.

Last edited:
Service Center recommends charging at 90%.

Your warranty covers 70% capacity so you still have a long way from it.

It's fine if you are on a road trip and need to deplete your battery that much but deep discharging should not be a routine.

If you spend 10% a day, don't wait for 6 days or 60% deep in order to recharge it.

Recharge it each day when it reached 10% shallow depth rather than wait for deeper discharge.

In summary,

1) Service Center is not going cover you when your capacity is still 70%
2) Please follow Service Center recommendation of 90% instead of lower than 90%
3) Please don't choose deep discharge over shallow discharge if you can.

Thanks for the helpful reply.

Reactions: Tam
Hi folks,

My Model 3 is a year old and has 15K miles. When new it would charge to 310 miles at fsoc. Recently I took a road trip and charge to 100% and it would only charge to 295 miles.

I normally keep the battery soc at between 20-80%, charging to 80% then driving until reaching around 20% then recharging.

Whats likely causing your rated range number to decline is you are doing exactly what tesla recommends not to do, which is "charge up, and run the car down before charging up again". It specifically says there is no benefit to doing this.
try charging to 90% and charging every day for a week, and see if the car corrects the display.

Really? Approximately every other thread in the Battery & Charging is about this topic.

;)

You have to be careful when searching to not limit to a particular forum, etc.

As mentioned above this is only 5% and practically makes very little difference. I don’t know whether it is real or not. You can try the charging strategy above (which is basically what the manual recommends) but it may well not recover the missing miles.

This sort of issue has been occurring a lot recently and may be partially due to software. It’s also possible it’s real and the software has only recently been telling the “real” story.

All we know for sure is that everyone has different results, and the underlying reasons are far from clear.

Generally just leave your car plugged in when you are not using it, use overnight charging if you are subject to time of use rates, and set the charge level to 70-90%, whatever makes sense for you. There is no significant downside to using a 90% charge level and apparently the service center will hassle you if you don’t (even if it is nonsensical).

Reactions: VQTRVA
Hi folks,

How hard did you look? I found the following on the most recent 3 pages of the model 3 forum, without even checking model S / X forum. some of these should provide you with plenty of reading should you want to.

Losing 5% Parked Daily, Connection Issue?
Battery degradation after 9000 km?
Model 3 Performance Battery Degradation One Month (Story)
2018 M3 Battery life got reduced!
I love this car, but.....
Firmware's impact on range (graph)
Range on midrange reduced to 219 miles
My model 3 says full at 210 miles
Battery degradation or BMS error?
Lost range? Poll

Last edited:
17k miles on my Model 3, LR RWD, Just did my first full charge on 32.2.2 and got 313 miles.
Charge daily to 80% and always plug the car in regardless of my SOC. Never supercharged and have only done 8-10 trip charges since I've owned the car.

Thanks for the helpful info. I believe the reduction in soc has come from one of the latest updates. At least that is what I was told by a mobile ranger recently. I don’t know whether to believe him or not but I do know that I used to get about 308 miles at100% .

Thanks for the helpful info. I believe the reduction in soc has come from one of the latest updates. At least that is what I was told by a mobile ranger recently. I don’t know whether to believe him or not but I do know that I used to get about 308 miles at100% .

A number of people have reported lower Mileage since the last update. It hasnt changed anything on my specific car but many have reported it has for them.

my 2019 3D with 9K was 'stuck' @ 100% ~298 miles for a couple months.

I recalibrated last week @ 51 miles & got back to 308 miles.

upload_2019-9-24_1-33-5.png

charge using 120v from close to empty (~20% or so) non-stop all weekend.

What steps did you use to recalibrate?

Drove over a couple of days till I was around 51 miles left on batts (or ~15%) then manually charged @ home @ 100% & surprised it kept going to eventually stopped @ 308.

Cause I had done this on a couple of occasions before from an even lower battery % & never got closer than about 302-304.

So this take it close to 0 & then back to 100 works.
Just not on any known schedule.

What do you normally use to charge?

Tesla Wall Connector? If so what kW (or Amps and Volts)?

Tesla Supercharger? If so what kW?

"Normal" charging source matters. If you're routinely Supercharging to 80% or 100% vs. using Tesla Wall Connector you'll likely have your 100% range and/or maximum charge rate reduced from what I've read here on TMC.

Last edited:
Hi folks,

That is very consistent with model S experience. Batteries drop 5% in first year and little if any after that. You may see more miles from changing you charging habits or recalibration as suggested. Or this may just be the normal year 1 loss.

What do you normally use to charge?

Tesla Wall Connector? If so what kW (or Amps and Volts)?

Tesla Supercharger? If so what kW?

"Normal" charging source matters. If you're routinely Supercharging to 80% or 100% vs. using Tesla Wall Connector you'll likely have your 100% range and/or maximum charge rate reduced from what I've read here on TMC.

I normally use a sc, but sometimes a wall charger at 48 amps. When I sc I normally do not charge to 100% only at he beginning of a road trip.

Last edited:
Drove over a couple of days till I was around 51 miles left on batts (or ~15%) then manually charged @ home @ 100% & surprised it kept going to eventually stopped @ 308.

Cause I had done this on a couple of occasions before from an even lower battery % & never got closer than about 302-304.

So this take it close to 0 & then back to 100 works.
Just not on any known schedule.

Thanks for the helpful info.