Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range on midrange reduced to 219 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now I'm completely unable to charge. I guess either it's coincidence that the battery fault has come to a head, or someone remotely shut down my ability to charge due to safety concerns? Anyways, I called Tesla and they offered to tow my car to the service center on Monday. We'll see how it goes.

Hmm. Who knows. Last time I heard about this, they apparently dropped the guy's car off the lift. :eek:

Notification that battery cannot charge to 100%, Battery replacement followed by a lift drop

But, the good news is that Tesla got that out of their system, so it should be smooth sailing for you!

I have seen a large drop in range over the course of 11,000 miles on my DEC 2018 Mid Range also, although not as much as yours.

At its best back in March it was showing 263 today it’s showing 250. I also have a 2017 Model X with 42,000 miles and it has lost only 2 miles over its lifetime.

View attachment 449483
My mid range was built in Nov, 2018 and has 10k miles on it now. Its battery degraded just like yours and I'm really not happy about it.

It's not a problem, try reading some of the many other threads about the exact same thing.

I guess it was a problem:

So just now I got a notification on the screen stating "Battery cannot charge to 100%. Contact Tesla Service" I emailed Tesla this AM about escalating the issue to executive management. I wonder if they did some more remote diagnostics and found some battery wiring fault?

Now I'm completely unable to charge. I guess either it's coincidence that the battery fault has come to a head, or someone remotely shut down my ability to charge due to safety concerns? Anyways, I called Tesla and they offered to tow my car to the service center on Monday. We'll see how it goes.

Service center states they've ordered the replacement HV battery pack. If the midrange battery has ceased production, will they install an LR battery pack and place a software limiter on it? I thought the LR (single motor) M3 had a different onboard charger as well (32A vs. 48A). I just hope they don't somehow downgrade me to the SR+ battery.

I just hope they don't somehow downgrade me to the SR+ battery.

They won't. If they do, that would be a reason to have them try again.

If the midrange battery has ceased production, will they install an LR battery pack and place a software limiter on it?

I would think it should be no problem for them to replace your pack with a remanufactured mid-range pack. Didn't they say what they were going to do? Did they suggest you'd be getting an LR pack? (Seems unlikely.)

Let us know how it goes.

The same thing happened to our mid range model 3 over the weekend, which has many similarities to the OP:
- low milage ~4k
- delivery date late Nov 2018
- shows higher than expected battery degradation : about 220-230 miles at 100% charge
We always charge it to 50% on weekdays and occasionally raise it to 80/90% when we are able to get free charging or when we are going for a long trip on weekends.
The car is now at a SC awaiting repair, and they forgot to turn on service mode on the car and we can see that they are trying to run down the battery by keeping AC on.
@futron, interested to hear if you got a new LR software limited battery or a rebuilt MR battery.

• Informative
Reactions: fefelix and hcw0818
Just got the car back. They swapped in a new midrange (60kWh) HV battery pack. Engineer confirmed that it was an issue with the wirebonding in the old battery pack.

Glad everything seems to have worked out ok. Always a good day when they can do the battery replacement without dropping the car off the lift! Getting the root cause is nice too. Was that the engineer at service center or was it info from a diagnostic engineer in Fremont?

What range are you extrapolating to at 100% with the new battery?

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm watching this thread with interest since i also have a mid-range model 3 purchased at the end of 2018. I charge daily to 90% at home and have noticed the range coming in at 217 miles today and sometimes 219 when i unplug it. We are planning a weekend day trip and i plan to charge to 100% before this and I am almost positive there is no way i will see 260 full charge. So for Futron a replacement battery was in order but for the rest of us is this an acceptable thing? My car has 18,204 miles on it ( ok i drive a lot )

Hey guys, I'm watching this thread with interest since i also have a mid-range model 3 purchased at the end of 2018. I charge daily to 90% at home and have noticed the range coming in at 217 miles today and sometimes 219 when i unplug it. We are planning a weekend day trip and i plan to charge to 100% before this and I am almost positive there is no way i will see 260 full charge. So for Futron a replacement battery was in order but for the rest of us is this an acceptable thing? My car has 18,204 miles on it ( ok i drive a lot )
Not to be picky (mid range owner as well), but base you 100% on 264.

90% at home and have noticed the range coming in at 217 miles today and sometimes 219 when i unplug it. We are planning a weekend day trip and i plan to charge to 100% before this and I am almost positive there is no way i will see 260 full charge.

Sounds like you’ll be at around 243@100%.

This is not great, but way better than @futron, and you have an 8-year battery warranty. If your trends actually continue, you’ll have no problem qualifying for a replacement. So I just would not worry about it - where it is at, hopefully if won’t impact usability. You can see from above the battery will likely ask to be replaced when it is time. Hopefully at a convenient time for you, of course.,.

Car was in service for a week. I had to wait over 4 hours for a loaner since the Dublin, CA service center (one of the busiest SCs in the US) only had 20 in their fleet. The engineer was onsite. I did charge it to 100% last night and the range is now showing 265 miles. Unfortunately, it appears that one of the window regulator buttons was broken off during the servicing (though admittedly this is alot better than the car falling off the lift), so mobile service is coming out to fix that part.

mine now is 248mils at 100%, called sc several times always told me that was normal just like what they did to anybody else who has the same complaint, tried -10% to 100% three times, nothing changed, and the range keeps dropping.

i just wondering what did they really do for the remote analysis? or just saying that let me calm down.... anyway my problem is not serious like futron’s. still under the warranty.

My car got the newest update last night to 2019.32.2.2 so i figured i would see if charging back to 100% gave me my missing battery range. Nope, the car barely made it to 241 and the battery graph showed full but hung there without a full completion message. I stopped it after about 20 minutes at that point then I went ahead and opened a support call via my phone and have a service appt scheduled for the CT Milford service center for early next week. If it was 10 miles lost i would probably be ok with it but for me at least its in the 20+ miles lost range. I joking told my wife "hey look we got a standard range + model 3 now .. "

My car got the newest update last night to 2019.32.2.2 so i figured i would see if charging back to 100% gave me my missing battery range. Nope, the car barely made it to 241 and the battery graph showed full but hung there without a full completion message. I stopped it after about 20 minutes at that point then I went ahead and opened a support call via my phone and have a service appt scheduled for the CT Milford service center for early next week. If it was 10 miles lost i would probably be ok with it but for me at least its in the 20+ miles lost range. I joking told my wife "hey look we got a standard range + model 3 now .. "

That's interesting. Yesterday afternoon 32.2.2 was uploaded to my SP+, so just for kicks I schedule it to charge to 100% overnight, mainly because of stories like yours. This morning it was at 241, one above where it should have been. Even more interesting is the fact that the two last 90% charges gave me 218 miles. I'm going to run it low the rest of the week (work is 70 miles r/t) and give it another full charge and see what I get. Now, all that said, I just hit 1,000 miles on the odo, so mine still could be too new to be showing any battery degradation.