Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 11.3.6 Fail - no stopping for school bus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just posted a video of my drive using FSD 11.3.6 the other morning. Major fail. Tesla was following its own directions (instead of going through median and taking left, too a right and tried to make a u-turn. Then when it failed to do the u-turn, it went through a neighborhood and failed to stop for a stopped school bus. This needs to be fixed asap. School bus stop at 4:43.

FSD 11.3.6 Falls to stop for school bus

Just posted a video of my drive using FSD 11.3.6 the other morning. Major fail. Tesla was following its own directions (instead of going through median and taking left, too a right and tried to make a u-turn. Then when it failed to do the u-turn, it went through a neighborhood and failed to stop for a stopped school bus. This needs to be fixed asap. School bus stop at 4:43.

FSDb has never stopped for a school bus. It's a long-standing, well-known deficiency. It's not likely to be fixed ASAP, but, since you are closely monitoring everything it does, simply tap the brake and stop. Same goes for school zones, which are unrecognized. When you come to one, dial down your speed or go manual.

FSDb also has never been able to handle a u-turn. And, the nav system doesn't know whether you plan to use FSDb when you set a destination, so sometimes it creates routes that are difficult for FSDb. It's fun to let it try these routes on each new version to see if it has learned any new tricks.

So? It doesn't see school zones either. It's not feature complete. It will be here in the future.

That's why YOU are the driver in charge.

They should also fix drivers using wheel weights (like you) with no attention to the capabilities of the system they are using. People like to complain about the about what’s dangerous Except when they are the ones creating the danger…..

I read that they developed a Dojo processor, which, in combination with cameras and AI / ML, can quickly identify children on the road or, for example, school buses. I hope this technology will be widely adopted and contribute to safety, especially in the context of children, who may be less predictable and protected road users.

I read that they developed a Dojo processor, which, in combination with cameras and AI / ML, can quickly identify children on the road or, for example, school buses. I hope this technology will be widely adopted and contribute to safety, especially in the context of children, who may be less predictable and protected road users.
Dojo is their training accelerator hardware that they want to use (are using?) instead of large banks of GPUs. That is, Dojo is used at the Tesla development site, not onboard the car. As I understand things, Dojo is really just about economics. If they can get the software right (a significant challenge), then the hardware on the car will identify everything it needs to and will react appropriately.

FSDb has never stopped for a school bus. It's a long-standing, well-known deficiency. It's not likely to be fixed ASAP, but, since you are closely monitoring everything it does, simply tap the brake and stop. Same goes for school zones, which are unrecognized. When you come to one, dial down your speed or go manual.

FSDb also has never been able to handle a u-turn. And, the nav system doesn't know whether you plan to use FSDb when you set a destination, so sometimes it creates routes that are difficult for FSDb. It's fun to let it try these routes on each new version to see if it has learned any new tricks.
It also can't handle school zones.

All of these things are known and why it's not hands off...it's level 2 ADAS that will mess up even basic things at times, but hasn't been programmed with some of these cases.

That it can't handle school zones, parking lots, drive ways, school bus stops?

I think Tesla covers that with the "keep hands on the wheel and pay attention at all times, FSD Beta can do the worst thing at the wrong times".

Fair enough. But I thought that wording was to cover the unexpected responses of FSDbollocks, not the known short comings.

Obviously, if you are paying attention, you might notice the car is not slowing for the stop sign hanging off the side of a big yellow bus in front of you. But it would be helpful to know for sure the car actually isn't programmed to stop. Period.

The accepted FSDb behaviour is to proceed at speed towards a stop sign before slowing down aggressively and stopping exactly at the stop sign or stop line. So the lack of slowing for a school bus with a stop sign is actually expected stop sign behaviour. Except in this case, should the driver let FSDb do the stop, then the amount of time the car has to actually emergency stop once it is apparent the car isn't going to stop on its own is greatly reduced, increasing the chances of tragedy. It has happened once. At the very least, since someone already has had their life altered because the car didn't stop, you'd think Tesla would put that short coming in the manual.

Fair enough. But I thought that wording was to cover the unexpected responses of FSDbollocks, not the known short comings.

Obviously, if you are paying attention, you might notice the car is not slowing for the stop sign hanging off the side of a big yellow bus in front of you. But it would be helpful to know for sure the car actually isn't programmed to stop. Period.

The accepted FSDb behaviour is to proceed at speed towards a stop sign before slowing down aggressively and stopping exactly at the stop sign or stop line. So the lack of slowing for a school bus with a stop sign is actually expected stop sign behaviour. Except in this case, should the driver let FSDb do the stop, then the amount of time the car has to actually emergency stop once it is apparent the car isn't going to stop on its own is greatly reduced, increasing the chances of tragedy. It has happened once. At the very least, since someone already has had their life altered because the car didn't stop, you'd think Tesla would put that short coming in the manual.
I don't believe there is a manual for FSD Beta. I think they get away with that because it's Beta.

A 2021 MY and a 22 MS...both have repeatedly slowed down for emergency vehicles, sometimes when they are in the opposite side of the interstate.
Actually that is a feature added to Autosteer in response to AP crashes into stopped emergency vehicles. So not really applicable to FSD Beta.

"If the Model 3/ Model Y detects lights from an emergency vehicle when using Autosteer at night on a high-speed road, the driving speed is automatically reduced and the touchscreen displays a message informing you of the slowdown,"

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JB47394
Actually that is a feature added to Autosteer in response to AP crashes into stopped emergency vehicles. So not really applicable to FSD Beta.

"If the Model 3/ Model Y detects lights from an emergency vehicle when using Autosteer at night on a high-speed road, the driving speed is automatically reduced and the touchscreen displays a message informing you of the slowdown,"

That's really "great" <sarcasm>, a vital safety feature that is only available on 3's and Y's. Good going, Tesla.