Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD - 2k Price Jump 10.26.20

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By pricing it that high, the goal is probably to push owners to the subscription model that Elon wrote about. Even if the fee is $100-200/month (or “discounted” to $1,000-$1,500/yr), it could end up being more palpable for a larger group (especially those who lease the car).

By pricing it that high, the goal is probably to push owners to the subscription model that Elon wrote about. Even if the fee is $100-200/month (or “discounted” to $1,000-$1,500/yr), it could end up being more palpable for a larger group (especially those who lease the car).

I mean, I think the majority would pay $100 to use it for a month at the beginning and then cancel. I know I would, and then would purchase it for road trips. I am assuming there will be a minimum amount of time you have to subscribe.

The biggest problem I have is that FSD is not tied to the account, but the car itself. This is a major turnoff. If I'm buying a single license of FSD, I should have the right to transfer it to whatever Tesla vehicle in the future.

This. The higher it goes, the less it makes sense. Pay $10k today, crash car tomorrow. What's the insurance book value of a car with and without FSD?

The biggest problem I have is that FSD is not tied to the account, but the car itself. This is a major turnoff. If I'm buying a single license of FSD, I should have the right to transfer it to whatever Tesla vehicle in the future.

It might discourage a lot of customers from getting a new Telsa because they don't want to spend 10k again for FSD. Especially with the way Tesla constantly improves their cars, people want to upgrade. Or when a new model comes out like the Cybertruck.

It might discourage a lot of customers from getting a new Telsa because they don't want to spend 10k again for FSD. Especially with the way Tesla constantly improves their cars, people want to upgrade. Or when a new model comes out like the Cybertruck.

Given how frequently my older ones have needed repair...that's not really an option either.

The real answer here is a lease. Lease the car, lease the technology. In 3 years, get the new car and technology. None of the repairs, payments, capital upgrades, etc.

This coming from someone who has never leased any of my prior 40+ cars nor the 3 Tesla's I currently own.

To date, we've spent $68,000 on various versions of Autopilot for 12 cars over the past 4 years. We'd love to be able to transfer a license from car to car. A "site" license would be welcome for multi-Tesla households.

Reactions: AdamMacDon
To date, we've spent $68,000 on various versions of Autopilot for 12 cars over the past 4 years. We'd love to be able to transfer a license from car to car. A "site" license would be welcome for multi-Tesla households.
I think I know who you are. Not sure If I can say here so I won't. If so, keep up the great work. You are much appreciated. Thanks for all you do.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I imagine this will be the highest price ($8000) many will be willing to pay for FSD, at least thats where I stand. Can't imagine most people will be willing to pay an additional 10k plus, especially on their lower priced cars, until the car is level 5. I'll be going back and forth over the next few days on whether to pull the trigger, still finding it hard to justify the price while having to fully monitor the car anyway. Think theres a very high likelihood of buyers remorse after the novelty wears off.

Reactions: DaveG_NJ
Before I looked closely at Tesla I had heard about FSD. I had assumed that I will get Tesla with FSD. When I finally made up my mind to buy my first Tesla I came to know that AP had many features I desired. Initially I was going to lease so FSD did not make sense to me. Based on high resale value I decide to buy instead of lease. I still did not choose FSD. I can afford but but I did not think the cost of FSD was providing the value it deserved. I am going to get my MY in the next 2-3 weeks. This $2000 increase announcement is making me reconsider. I may have to upgrade to FSD. I already have a VIN. I am assuming that FSD can be added now even after VIN assignment. I have seen the videos of limited beta and they look promising. I also tend to hold on to my cars for a long time. So if I do purchase FSD I will assume that it still has long road ahead before it can become fully functional

Reactions: mikes_fsd
I have FSD on a 2017 MS that I just did the upgrade to HDW 3 . Ive been waiting for this. I feel a lot better about keeping my car after my lease which started to feel like a bone head move . I gave them the FSD money sort of early ( the 2K window after purchase) but now it feels a little better. This will keep me till a much bigger battery or PLAID come down in price ( or I can afford that ) :) . I do use AP/FSD a lot even now for me and well marked roads. it is nice, but it would be even nicer if I didnt have to pop out every time I make a left or right turn. don't worry I'm not ready to take a nap while driving .....

Reactions: mikes_fsd
Don't buy it.
AP !== FSD.

But when you want to buy it in 2 or 3 years and it is $14k USD, please don't start 5 threads complaining about that too.
I won't.
The hardware is the same regardless of your software options, my point still stands. And my friend has the FSD AP, it's underwhelming to say the least. Not made for the cramped and frankly poorly designed streets we have here. On 2020.40.8 still unable to make any turns.

The fact is I won't even have this car in 2 or 3 years, so I certainly won't be wasting my time posting any threads about AP.