Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD / AP Rewrite - turning the corner?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
>>The other thing to consider is the cost. I realise that drivers are a large part of the cost, but equally if the above inefficiency equates to higher costs, both Uber and Tesla won't get too much extra business outside of cities. Or put another way, I don't use Uber/A taxi for my daily commute because a) it costs too much b) takes too long to get to me. This can be solved by automation, but it'll not be easy, especially the last one. <<

Autonomy MIGHT come in countries other than the US within the next ten years, but I very much doubt that they will be allowed without "drivers".
FSD taxi-type cars in London without monitoring drivers, in any numbers, would be a recipe for gridlock. No company will spend millions on the equipment AND hire monitoring drivers on top of that.
In the same way I don't hold my breath here in Australia. Although we have much more space than in Europe overall, the city congestion and in many cases aggressive driving the same thing will happen.

>>The reason we don't use taxis is simply because we both like driving. Take away that, by making cars fully autonomous and we may as well use taxis instead.<<

I'd bet a pound to a penny that you wouldn't!
For most people using taxis when needed is much cheaper than owning and running a car. But most of us outside cities only use taxis when we need to go to the airport or suchlike. This gives us a distorted picture of our transport needs.
You've forgotten the milk - hop in the car and go get. It's easy and happens all the time. Without a car using taxis - even if readily available on paper - would be hassle several times a day. And if you HAD a car "for emergencies" sitting in the garage you wouldn't use a taxi anyway.

So Mercedes has been spending ££££ paying for journalists to be flown to Germany to promote the S class with 'Level 3' autonomy.....

Remeber the S class, apparently its a technological 'show case'. Looking at first impressions the interior appears to be a copy of the Model S from 2011, and the 'Level 3' autonomy tech appears to be lane following on a test track......We can all guess how well its actually going to work when it comes to a STOP junction!!

Tesla is so far ahead now in terms of car tech its making everyone else look really amateurish. The yet to be on sale 'brand new' S class has less technological competence than our 2017 Model X. That new S class is already irrelevant even before a single one has been delivered to customers.

I honestly cannot see how these companies are going to compete with the likes of Google in the new world of information driven tech.

2021 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Advances the High-Tech Luxury Sedan

So Mercedes has been spending ££££ paying for journalists to be flown to Germany to promote the S class with 'Level 3' autonomy.....

Remeber the S class, apparently its a technological 'show case'. Looking at first impressions the interior appears to be a copy of the Model S from 2011, and the 'Level 3' autonomy tech appears to be lane following on a test track......We can all guess how well its actually going to work when it comes to a STOP junction!!

Tesla is so far ahead now in terms of car tech its making everyone else look really amateurish. The yet to be on sale 'brand new' S class has less technological competence than our 2017 Model X. That new S class is already irrelevant even before a single one has been delivered to customers.

I honestly cannot see how these companies are going to compete with the likes of Google in the new world of information driven tech.

2021 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Advances the High-Tech Luxury Sedan

I'm not a merc fan but I think you're being unfair. Granted the general exterior look is a bit retro but exterior lighting will blow tesla away - I'd bet you can even see where your reversing to at night let alone a decent forward view in the dark on unlit roads.....
The interior view does mimic the S in terms of a central screen and a binnacle but reality is that if you're going to use screen-based info then there's few places you can put them - at least the important stuff is in an S-type eyeline and while it's a tad button-heavy (aka learning curve) at least you can use a tactile approach to many controls without having to take your eyes off the road or hope there's a cell connection for a voice command.
On a higher end car like this the germans will have spent serious time/money on driver ergonomics albeit they tend to stick to modelling stuff for the 'standard size male'/ Tesla on the other hand probably knocked up a cardboatrd replica in the carpark to a 'cool' idea by Elon and fiddled around a bit until he said 'that'll do but get rid of any buttons 'cos they cost money, stick in a cheap screen, cover everything in laminated paper and the mugs will have to put up'

@pgkevet For £85k today, would you buy a S class or a Model S.

The S class has got LIDAR, its so good that Mercedes will let you have hands free driving at 37mph on the Mway, but be prepared to take over as only 'suitable' sections will be allowed.

37mph on the Mway, what great progress :).

The new S-Class gets an enhanced version of the outgoing sixth-generation model’s Drive Pilot system featuring Level 3 autonomous-driving capability at speeds up to 37 mph (60 km/h).

Although not planned from the beginning of U.S. deliveries, Mercedes-Benz says the new Drive Pilot system, which employs lidar among a range of different sensors, will be introduced to the German market during second-half 2021. It allows the driver to go hands-off for extended periods of high traffic density and what it describes as “suitable sections of highway.”

Oh and it even 'sees' motorbikes, am sorry is this the 2010 S class we are talking about or the 2021 version?

Last edited:
That really depends on whether your primary goal is automation or overall comfort and driving. Hands free at low speeds is relaxing in traffic and handy for the stop-start stuff round birmingham or a clogged m25. Your Tesla won't use automation at autobahn speeds either and I'll bet the merc doesn't phantom brake at 70mph. It's apples and oranges. Tesla lets drivers risk themselves while their system learns... others wait until there's a safe reliable system to deploy. Customers choice. Look at mobileye's progression that many/most non-Teslas are going to licence. Tesla may have the flash and may well get there slightly faster but I'd take a bet that when a mobileye next gen gets deployed it'll work fully within it's parameters....

>>The reason we don't use taxis is simply because we both like driving. Take away that, by making cars fully autonomous and we may as well use taxis instead.<<

I'd bet a pound to a penny that you wouldn't!
For most people using taxis when needed is much cheaper than owning and running a car. But most of us outside cities only use taxis when we need to go to the airport or suchlike. This gives us a distorted picture of our transport needs.
You've forgotten the milk - hop in the car and go get. It's easy and happens all the time. Without a car using taxis - even if readily available on paper - would be hassle several times a day. And if you HAD a car "for emergencies" sitting in the garage you wouldn't use a taxi anyway.

Depends very much on personal circumstance. Our neighbour is a few years older than us, in her early 80s. She is still very active, rides her bike around the village most days, and she used to drive a lot. Her late husband had Parkinson's before he died, so she drove everywhere with him. A few weeks ago we were chatting, and she mentioned that she'd sold the car, and given up driving. She wasn't using the car, because of months of lockdown, couldn't see the point in keeping it, so now just uses taxis instead.

I can easily see us doing the same in a few years time. I very much enjoy driving, but I'm not naive enough to think that we won't be like most others, and reach an age where owning and driving a car becomes either impractical or impossible.

Something that will hopefully please Thatcham. Avoiding road debris.

Taken from FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

From the same thread, I think this one shows some good scenarios and examples of progress from earlier beta versions. The neighbourhood bit is a bit boring but do note that the car is just deciding where to drive - there is no planned route!

Last edited:
Reactions: Zakalwe
Not in the neighbourhood drive

upload_2020-11-4_17-24-45.png

Reactions: Zakalwe
Looks like Tesla are promising a free HW3 upgrade to those of us who have already purchased FSD .... i wonder if true or how long it’ll take

Quite a few of us on here has already had it done. Takes a day to do at the service centre, worth while getting the MCU2 upgrade as well at the same time but that does cost an additional £2340, but well worth it if you are keeping the car longterm.

Just book in the work via the phone up under upgrades/retrofits.