Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD-beta 2023.6.15 rollout speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure I understand FSD and FSD beta. I purchased MSP mid/end May and paid for FSD at purchase. I don’t have FSD beta yet, says at a future update! Do I have FSD then, meaning what? Sorry my first Tesla, really novice!
To answer you, I'm going to quote extensively from a post I made a couple of months back, in another thread:
...FSD = "Full Self-Driving capability". This means you will get all available released features for your car.
Mainly, you will be able to activate navigate on autopilot on the highway, and on non-highway streets you will have Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control, meaning the car will more or less smoothly stop and go in response to those controls, but if not following a lead car you will have to confirm green light passage by tapping the stalk.​
However, at the moment you [may] not be able to request the thing most people really want, which is "FSD beta".
That is the big feature that will navigate around town for you, make turns and change lanes to follow the route, and does not require confirmation to proceed through green lights. Still requires supervision, but on a good day and a good route will basically do all the driving with you lightly holding the wheel and being ready to intervene if needed.​
The above explains the essential difference between released FSD and FSD Beta.

At this point, FSD beta is available to almost everyone who has purchased or subscribed to FSD. The exceptions are:
  • (The most common reason): your car is presently running a software version that is numbered higher than the highest available version containing FSD beta. As of today, that highest software version is 2023.12.11 - which includes FSD beta 11.3.6. Many owners of 2023 Teslas, and others who only recently subscribed or purchased FSD, are running 2023.12.[10 | 11]. However. If your car is brand new it may be running a higher version.
    • As of today, these higher versions include:
    • If your car is on any of those, FSD beta will not be offered to you yet, and you'll have to wait until it's wrapped inside a software version higher than what you have. In the meantime, you may want to defer any higher software updates that aren't reported to include FSD beta - because you don't want to keep updating beyond the lagging FSD beta releases.
  • Another reason is if you bought it used and it's several years old, it may not be eligible for FSD beta. If the autopilot cameras and computer hardware are too old, you either can't get FSD beta or you'll have to pay for a hardware upgrade. I think in a very narrow set of cases, you may be entitled to a free upgrade on a car that had paid FSD from the beginning.
  • Finally, there is always the possibility that you, or the person who sold you a used Tesla, believe incorrectly that the car included the FSD option because of somewhat confusing language about having an "FSD computer". Or that the used Tesla passed through Tesla Company ownership on the way to the used car dealer, in which case it may have originally had paid FSD but no longer does. In this message, I'm not going to get into this any further unless you come back and tell me that indeed you have bought a used Tesla.

Not sure I understand FSD and FSD beta. I purchased MSP mid/end May and paid for FSD at purchase. I don’t have FSD beta yet, says at a future update! Do I have FSD then, meaning what? Sorry my first Tesla, really novice!
FSD is Tesla's current product. It doesn't actually provide much capability right now. FSD beta is the version of the product that's been in development for years, including testing by people who own FSD. It is called "beta" because that's the term used when customers are involved in the testing of an unreleased product.

Tesla used to have a variety of restrictions on who could get a copy of the FSD beta test software downloaded to their car. These days, anyone who owns FSD and wants it can get it, and Tesla is even making FSD beta test software available to people who only subscribe to FSD.

Your car may have come loaded with a version of the car's software that lacks the FSD beta test software, and you cannot use what the car doesn't have. Just wait for the Tesla update cycle to come around to your car and you'll be able to select the beta test stuff. The only twist here is that Tesla will not lower the version number of your car's software, only increase it. So if you have 2023.20.4.1 installed on your car, you cannot get 2023.7.20 (which includes the latest FSD beta test software) because the version number is lower. If that's the case, then the normal practice is to stop updating your car and wait for the versions that include FSD beta to pass your version number.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
FSD is Tesla's current product. It doesn't actually provide much capability right now. FSD beta is the version of the product that's been in development for years, including testing by people who own FSD. It is called "beta" because that's the term used when customers are involved in the testing of an unreleased product.

Tesla used to have a variety of restrictions on who could get a copy of the FSD beta test software downloaded to their car. These days, anyone who owns FSD and wants it can get it, and Tesla is even making FSD beta test software available to people who only subscribe to FSD.

Your car may have come loaded with a version of the car's software that lacks the FSD beta test software, and you cannot use what the car doesn't have. Just wait for the Tesla update cycle to come around to your car and you'll be able to select the beta test stuff. The only twist here is that Tesla will not lower the version number of your car's software, only increase it. So if you have 2023.20.4.1 installed on your car, you cannot get 2023.7.20 (which includes the latest FSD beta test software) because the version number is lower. If that's the case, then the normal practice is to stop updating your car and wait for the versions that include FSD beta to pass your version number.

Thanks, that helps

Reactions: JB47394
To answer you, I'm going to quote extensively from a post I made a couple of months back, in another thread:

The above explains the essential difference between released FSD and FSD Beta.

At this point, FSD beta is available to almost everyone who has purchased or subscribed to FSD. The exceptions are:
  • (The most common reason): your car is presently running a software version that is numbered higher than the highest available version containing FSD beta. As of today, that highest software version is 2023.12.11 - which includes FSD beta 11.3.6. Many owners of 2023 Teslas, and others who only recently subscribed or purchased FSD, are running 2023.12.[10 | 11]. However. If your car is brand new it may be running a higher version.
    • As of today, these higher versions include:
    • If your car is on any of those, FSD beta will not be offered to you yet, and you'll have to wait until it's wrapped inside a software version higher than what you have. In the meantime, you may want to defer any higher software updates that aren't reported to include FSD beta - because you don't want to keep updating beyond the lagging FSD beta releases.
  • Another reason is if you bought it used and it's several years old, it may not be eligible for FSD beta. If the autopilot cameras and computer hardware are too old, you either can't get FSD beta or you'll have to pay for a hardware upgrade. I think in a very narrow set of cases, you may be entitled to a free upgrade on a car that had paid FSD from the beginning.
  • Finally, there is always the possibility that you, or the person who sold you a used Tesla, believe incorrectly that the car included the FSD option because of somewhat confusing language about having an "FSD computer". Or that the used Tesla passed through Tesla Company ownership on the way to the used car dealer, in which case it may have originally had paid FSD but no longer does. In this message, I'm not going to get into this any further unless you come back and tell me that indeed you have bought a used Tesla.
Thanks, that helps

Question - I am on 2023.12.11 (FSD Beta 11.3.6)...If/when I get the update prompt can I skip/not install and eventually get 11.4.4 when it catches up with the 2023.12 branch?

I jumped the gun previously while on 2023.6 branch and when 2023.12 released with FSD beta 11.3.6, I was so anxious to get any version of FSD that I installed immediately. Only a week or two later 2023.7 branch released with FSD beta 11.4. So I am still curious if I wait could I get the latest version of FSDb or is it reserved for specific vehicles or users...or does anyone know? BTW, I have a 2023 M3P without ultrasonics.

My question is I am on 2023.12.11 and I just got prompted today to install 2023.20.7. If I don’t do this update now is there a chance to get 11.4.4 or should I just continue with the current updates offered And hopefully FSD beta will merge branches sometime this year or no longer be beta?

My question is I am on 2023.12.11 and I just got prompted today to install 2023.20.7. If I don’t do this update now is there a chance to get 11.4.4 or should I just continue with the current updates offered And hopefully FSD beta will merge branches sometime this year or no longer be beta?
You can NOT get 11.4.4 since it is on 23.7.20 software (you can NEVER go backwards). Probably Tesla will release a 11.4.x version in a current software version after 11.5.x is released.)

• Helpful
Reactions: JB47394
You can NOT get 11.4.4 since it is on 23.7.20 software (you can NEVER go backwards). Probably Tesla will release a 11.4.x version in a current software version after 11.5.x is released.)
I'm really anxious for this because my wife's 3 has the latest features, like the improved POI cards in navigation, and I'm on 11.4.x FSD that basically has infotainment features stuck in time from December.

I'm really anxious for this because my wife's 3 has the latest features, like the improved POI cards in navigation, and I'm on 11.4.x FSD that basically has infotainment features stuck in time from December.
Oh no - December?!? Wow, we're really lost in 1st-World Problems right now. Nearly every car has the same infotainment system it was shipped with, 10 years on. Tesla comes along and popularizes the idea of OTA updates for the car, and now we're complaining our infotainment system looks the same as it did 6 months ago.

The humanity.

Oh no - December?!? Wow, we're really lost in 1st-World Problems right now. Nearly every car has the same infotainment system it was shipped with, 10 years on. Tesla comes along and popularizes the idea of OTA updates for the car, and now we're complaining our infotainment system looks the same as it did 6 months ago.

The humanity.
It's actually February, but the point stands even more.

Reactions: Dewg
11.4 came out in April didn’t it? It also included various UI updates and changes.
but the point still stands - but waaay less.
we are complaining about being 6-14 weeks behind current release.
Historically for the rest of us beta testers, we’ve never had it so good :cool:
It's based on 2023.7, which was made in the 7th week of 2023. He's saying he has UI from December, but all updates in January/February are in the 2023.7.20.

It's based on 2023.7, which was made in the 7th week of 2023. He's saying he has UI from December, but all updates in January/February are in the 2023.7.20.
If we are being pedantic then the “current” release is from May not July
so 12 whole weeks between “stuck” and “current”
From a UI perspective the differences are trivial so even less cause for complaint

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I guess I am more curious if they will merge branches and only have one FSD beta. I know there are comments about regression with 11.4.4 and that the latest software update comes with 11.3.6, but will there continue to be two branches? One for latest software updates (ex.11.3..6) and another with legacy software updates (ex. 11.4.4)? Has it been done this way in the past or is this new?

I am also aware that Musk has made comments that Tesla will drop the beta when v12 releases, but in the meantime (since it could be a while) being an FSDb subscriber it would be nice to have the latest FSDb while having the latest software updates and it appears they are working to get closer to that.

Also, I don't understand the next Major update 11.420 versioning announcement and where that falls in the normal version numbering/release process I have seen previously.
And one more comment since we are discussing updates - Whether it seems like a gimmick or not, I am looking forward to having Actual Smart Summon and Park Seek ...this could be an exciting year for all these updates but the year end is coming very soon.