Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta hugging left centerline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if anyone else noticed the Beta hugging the left centerline. I often find myself knocking off FSD because I keep pulling vehicle to the right. Dash display shows obviously vehicle is more toward the left centerline. Also on 2 lane roads I get a pause (reduced speed) as vehicles approach me from opposite direction on 2 lane roads.

Camera Alignment??????

Other than that and MSP takes corners and curves faster than I think it should I like Beta, especially the graphics.

M

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I’ve commented on this in another thread and my M3 is the exact opposite, it seems to want to be as far away from the center line as possible. Certainly MUCH more so than I would be and it’s often WAY too close to the right side where cars are parked. If someone opened their door suddenly it would be lights out for sure. I find myself often disengaging just to bring the car a bit farther LEFT.

But what concerns me MOST is that we/you/I have what appear to be quite DIFFERENT experiences with how the car behaves in what should be a standard condition. Distance from the center line or distance from the right side border. Is it a calibration problem between cars? Is it a calibration problem of the cameras, or is the FSD software somehow being interpreted differently between vehicles. Frankly, it SHOULDN’T, but here we are.

Reactions: queenamydala
I too note that my car seems too far to the right. Part of it is on roads where people can park their cars, it shifts over to the right when no cars are parked there. Then it moves to the left to move around the car, then back, a couple of feet from the curb, but a good distance from the center of the roadway. and if pedestrians are walking on those type roads, with no sidewalk, it heads right for them, then moves over as the cameras perceive the walkers. Not how folks drive.

My M3 does the same thing and even crosses the center line when making right hand turns. If the release notes for FSD 10.5 are to be believed, this might be addressed in the update.
Same here. 2020 MY. It seems like it’s worse on FSD than it was prior. If you pay attention to how pretty much everyone drives (manually) most people seem to hug the right lane marking on curves, or when approaching an on coming vehicle. FSD will move towards the right lane markings slightly when approaching a large truck/van, buts that’s it.

Reactions: Battouttahe77
I too note that my car seems too far to the right. Part of it is on roads where people can park their cars, it shifts over to the right when no cars are parked there. Then it moves to the left to move around the car, then back, a couple of feet from the curb, but a good distance from the center of the roadway. and if pedestrians are walking on those type roads, with no sidewalk, it heads right for them, then moves over as the cameras perceive the walkers. Not how folks drive.
What I don't really understand here is that the CONSTANT for the environment, is usually the CENTER LINE. The RIGHT side, is NOT the constant, sometimes there are cars parked, sometimes not, sometimes there is a right side line, sometimes not, sometimes there is a curb, sometimes not, etc. So, why wouldn't the centerline be the point that the car is focussed on, and some distance from the center line to the right is the calibration.

Reactions: EVNow
I think that one of the issues here is that it kinda depends on the type of road on which you are driving. On a urban or suburban street where there are cars parked on the right (in some parts of the world) side of the road, staying towards the center line makes sense to prevent a lot of bobbing and weaving in the lane and reducing the chances that a door could open into your path. But on more rural roads, especially where there are higher speed limits and the roads can be windy, I would feel a little better/safer if it stayed a little more to the right. Just my 2 cents based on my experiences with FSD beta.

There are a lot of variables involved. People who are saying it should stay on the right hand side as if there was a center line are considering only the simplest cases.
And I think that that is the crux of the problem. Programming FSD to ALWAYS favor one side or the other is never going to work. Any predilection to do so will run into numerous issues. As the car should always know the nature of the road based upon map info, maybe certain basic rules might be able to be set that are then modified by vision and historical data based upon machine learning. As well as many things that I can't even begin to think of. But I know that FSD is still young and learning. So I try to remain patient and vigilant when using it.

Reactions: mhan00
I'm fine with it hugging the center line as long as it is taking note of what is on the other side of that line as well as what's on the right side. It's usually pretty good at determining the boundary of drivable space. Where it is ambiguous, sure, hug the center line more. But when the right drivable boundary is clear, no need to hug the center line.

I feel like this one is not hard to solve; it's just not high priority at the moment.

I received 10.5 early this AM (2021.36.8.8) and it still hugs the center line. It can be alarming since the left side of the vehicle is right on the yellow line on a 2 lane road with the mirror essentially hanging off into oncoming traffic. The visualization shows the same thing. On corners it will actually cross over the double yellow at times. I too wish it would center to lane (unless there is an obstruction). I tried recalibrating on the cameras on 10.4 and it didn't improve anything. Also rebooting didn't improve anything.

I received 10.5 early this AM (2021.36.8.8) and it still hugs the center line. It can be alarming since the left side of the vehicle is right on the yellow line on a 2 lane road with the mirror essentially hanging off into oncoming traffic. The visualization shows the same thing. On corners it will actually cross over the double yellow at times. I too wish it would center to lane (unless there is an obstruction). I tried recalibrating on the cameras on 10.4 and it didn't improve anything. Also rebooting didn't improve anything.
That's discouraging. I'm just about to take mine out for it's first test drive on 10.5. I was hoping this would be fixed.

Can you list all the conditions when you won’t be driving in the center of imaginary left lane - like parked cars, children nearby, lots of parked cars which would result in waving etc ? "when the right drivable boundary is clear" is not the only condition.

not following what you said. Are we describing the same situation? Here's a sample road. Residential area, no center marking, very clear drivable boundaries. Sometimes a car might be parked on the shoulder, like a landscaping truck. Sometimes there are people walking or biking. Where should the car be driving? I would assume exactly where it would drive if the road was marked with a double yellow. It should only move toward the center if trying to go around whatever is occupying the right side.

Pre-10.5, the left wheels of the car would be past the centerline, and the car would have to move over for every oncoming car. It usually did this too late, annoying the oncoming car as to why I was hogging the road. 10.5 has moved the car over so it doesn't cross the center line. It's still biased toward the center, rather than use all the available space to the right.

Sometimes the car thinks the asphalt crease in the center is a yellow line marking. In this case, the car positions itself flawlessly.

Reactions: Phlier

yeah it still cuts corners, but for the most part, the car is more toward the right than it used to be. Def needs more work, but I see an obvious improvement from pre-10.5.

Reactions: coselectric
It should only move toward the center if trying to go around whatever is occupying the right side.
What if there are multiple cars parked on the right ? Would you wave in and out or would you just drive straight towards the center avoiding all the parked cars ? What is there are kids playing on the sidewalk or there are loosely leashed dogs - would you still drive as if the road had no obstacles ?