Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta in Bad Weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's likely not going to work consistently in heavy snow, ice, and perhaps rain. Meaning anything that obscures the cameras and the road markings. At least the current FSD/NOA gets camera blocked often in the heavy snow/ice here in Montana. And of course when I can't see the road neither can the car. There are probably ways to keep the cameras clear but disappearing roads is another matter. In any case, I probably do not want the car driving on it's lonesome under such conditions.

Reactions: NJEV-Don
Keep in mind Tesla has a weak spot for the rain. :eek: The "Deep Rain" windshield wipers are still poorer than using a standard rain sensor. Need to get their engineers out more.:D

Also probably could use more fair weather FSD updates before trying too much in inclement weather. Plenty of time for that after tackling the basics.

Wide release is mid December and most of the new FSD testers will be testing it for the 1st time in bad weather.

Tesla should release it wide to everyone now or wait until Spring.

From my exp, Nav on AP breaks when it's in heavy rain and sun directly at the front camera. NoAP also didn't work when I spent a few days in Vegas. The side camera were dusty.

Reactions: PACEMD
We have videos from Rhode Island and NC now that are in the rain. But none are in heavy rain yet.
I wish I had it, we have a system passing through right now, with massive gusts. Would love to see how the car would react being pushed around and with rain.

My P3D does well self-correcting when pushed around by the winds here in Montana and Wyoming. I'm from Eastern North Carolina and would say the winds here can be comparable to what we usually get inland in NC during hurricane season. Of course, it can always get worse, in which case most of us just don't drive. Here we have had 18 wheelers blown off the highway but in general, the Tesla has handled winds well.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
I should add that the Tesla has done very well in the snow here, climbed right out of a snow/ice ditch last winter like it didn't even notice. And with stock tires. What is annoying is keeping the cameras clear in such weather. There have been some discussions about various camera coatings to help with that but I'm way too lazy to give it much thought. Maybe this year........

To be clear, I was born in a cross-fire hurricane, and I howled at the morning driving rain, nevertheless, that toothless, bearded hag that raised me never let me drive the Tesla under such conditions, so I'm not claiming it's a good hurricane vehicle. Just not bad in moderate to fairly strong winds..........ok, Jack, I'll shut up now..........

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar