Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta info used to improve regular FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The nav all the way to an off-highway destination in a new unfamiliar area would be desirable, if FSD is ready for prime time
It is not ready for the afternoon show, let alone prime time. Currently it is "early access" FSD Beta i.e. pre-beta. It is for testing purposes - not yet a driver assistence.

Take FSD subscription only if you want NOA - not for FSD Beta.

Reactions: Don.Church
I don't believe so.

For the most part what you're really gaining with FSD is auto-lane change.

Everything else is a cool "lets check it out" kind of thing, but unfortunately there will be that safety score wall that will keep you from easily getting the FSD Beta which is a big part of the "lets check it out" thing.

I don't think FSD Beta will available without the Safety Score annoyance before summer concludes.

I wasn't too clear in my original post - what I want is regular FSD, not FSD beta. And I would only do it month by month.

My question was: Is the information gathered by the beta testers being used to improve the regular FSD that I would want to use for a road trip across multiple states?

I wasn't too clear in my original post - what I want is regular FSD, not FSD beta. And I would only do it month by month.

My question was: Is the information gathered by the beta testers being used to improve the regular FSD that I would want to use for a road trip across multiple states?

The confusion is understandable, but the short answer is “probably not”. FSD beta is currently still only used on surface streets (not highways). That will hopefully change soon when FSD beta moves to a “single stack” (same software running while on streets and on highways).

Currently, when an FSD beta car jumps onto a highway, the visualization and software used switches to supposedly the same as current vision-only teslas that have purchased or subscribe to FSD Capability (the thing you get by just paying money, not jumping through safety score hoops).

One reason I’m convinced of this is because of how FSD beta treats lane splits & merges so much smoother and better than production AP. So when I come across a lane split or merge on the highway, it does the jerky lane centering thing instead of more human/natural behavior of FSD beta when coming across a lane split or merge on surface streets.

Last edited:
.....My question was: Is the information gathered by the beta testers being used to improve the regular FSD that I would want to use for a road trip across multiple states?
1) No one here knows for sure if data gathered from us Beta testers is even used to improve the Beta. Could be only engineer Beta testers data is used or us Beta testers data may be used but weighted at a lower scale or ........
2) Autopilot (aka: highway stack) is separate software for city/Beta driving. Even on Beta we testers switch to the same AP/highway (vision) software stack when we drive on highways.

So the answer is: No one knows

Last edited:
I can only hope that they are NOT getting the "improvements"! I actually cringe when Elon (and others) talk about going to a single stack (presumably the FSD stack) for highway (i.e. NOA).

I may be in the minority here, but I typically drive about 5mph over and prefer to not hang out in the passing lane. NOA used to have a tendency to eventually get into the passing lane and then just stay there. This was remedied a bit when they added the "Exit Passing Lane" option and now I'm reasonably happy with how it behaves. It will exit the passing lane, at least when it sees a car approaching from behind, although it will still just sit in the left lane if there is no one behind (a tiny bit problematic for me, because I can "see" an approaching vehicle in the right lane before the car does, and it feels "rude" for me to then pull into the right lane in front of them. But whatever: I just now manually initiate a lane change after I pass a car.

But the FSD behavior? I just returned from a trip where a good part of it was on divided highway (but not limited access, so still going on the FSD stack). The damn car REALLY hates the right lane. There are 3 messages I get as it wants to change to the left lane (or the middle lane, as some sections were 3 lanes in each direction):

Changing lanes to follow route -- okay, legitimate I suppose, although in most instances, being in the left lane was not required to follow the route...I think this is a similar issue to how it will sometimes pull into the passing lane at off-ramps on the highway--it THINKS that the right lane is an exit only, even though it's just jumping the gun a bit and the off-ramp doesn't start for another couple hundred feet.

Changing to a faster lane -- again, possibly legitimate, but I am telling you it kept giving me this when there was NOTHING in front of me. My wife and I were figuring out what it could have possibly been seeing. No shadows, bridges, signs, etc. There was a bit of a heat mirage on the road ahead, but that was about it.

Avoiding the rightmost lane -- Okay, this is the one that I hate. I hadn't seen this one until this trip (possibly because I had not traveled on multi-lane divided highways much. I don't know the rationale for this, other than on divided highways with at grade intersections there could possibly be a lot of slow traffic and people wanting to enter the highway, so maybe it is trying to be "polite" here, but in reality I have cars coming up pretty fast in the left lane, slightly out of range of the car's view, and then for no reason at all, my car turns on the blinker and wants to pull into the left lane. I usually cancel it, but that becomes annoying quickly. At first I thought it might be because I have the FSD setting to Assertive (in an attempt to get the car to pull through 4-way and 3-way intersections at more than a snail's pace), but setting it to Chill did not stop this behavior. And the worst part is that at least with NOA I can turn off the auto-lane changes if it get really annoying, but with FSD beta, if I want autosteer at all (and keep in mind I'm on this divided highway for about 90 minutes on my trip), I have to put up with this. There doesn't appear to be a way to turn it off.