Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta V11.4.2 Runs 4-Way stop Sign.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving Model Y with FSD Beta engaged at 45 miles per hour approaching a 4-way stop. Vehicle did not slow down or stop. I forced the disengagement and took control and eased into the intersection. A week earlier FSD approached the same intersection at full speed and I took control and stopped. This time I wanted to see what would happen and I let it run the stop sign before disengaging.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Driving Model Y with FSD Beta engaged at 45 miles per hour approaching a 4-way stop. Vehicle did not slow down or stop. I forced the disengagement and took control and eased into the intersection. A week earlier FSD approached the same intersection at full speed and I took control and stopped. This time I wanted to see what would happen and I let it run the stop sign before disengaging.
Presumably you reported this to the Tesla team ? Do you see the Stop signs in the ego display ?

I will install my GoPro and record the display.
Good move because you can have a record in case someone doubts your report.

By the way, running stop signs have been reported numerous times, so this is not new.

Two years agon, the car below ran the stop sign at 20 MPH and not slowing down for this particular stop sign. The smart machine clearly registers the stop sign on the instrument cluster:

1685768887932.png

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I had reported that problem with the prior beta. It ran every stop on the street. Disengage and then reengage and it would just accelerate hard towards the next stop and right though. This is didn’t than the occasional historical running of random stops at reasonable speed. This was every stop on the same street. And each time kept accelerating above street sign speed and set speed.

I haven’t seen it happen on the current build or any build prior to last one.

Last edited:
My '21 MSLR routinely "chooses" whether to run a 4-way stop, that also has flashing red lights, at a major intersection on a loop that runs around the town closest to where I live. Sometimes it'll stop and do a great job. However, about 75% of the time, the car, at 60mph will simply ignore the lights and stop signs and go barreling up to the intersection where I have to slam on the brakes. I've videoed this, did the voice recording to Tesla, etc., and it doesn't matter. With no "direct" way to report major events, errors and dangerous situations directly to Tesla Engineers there is absolutely nothing that can be done. That's why the updates and odd things the cars do is so frustrating. The Tesla Engineers simply work at their own pace to send updates/fixes while all of us, the end-users, are left wondering if our particular issue will get fixed or not. And this comes with the requisite problem of being constantly on guard when driving because you just never know what sort of bizarre thing the car will do next. This makes driving the Tesla more stressful than driving almost anything else I've owned.

Now, with the latest update, my car has failed to bias to the right side of the lane on the two-lane, unmarked country roads that I live on. Unlike the previous release where the car "built" a non-existent centerline, this release simply chooses the entirety of the road, centers between the dirt on either side and treats it as a "lane" instead of a two-lane road. This includes going over small, blind hills in the middle of the road and, twice now, treating oncoming cars as a confusing threat that it cannot "compute" and it weaves back and forth then "quits" and simply stops in the middle of the road.

This has been less frustrating and dangerous than the car's tendency to use EVERY left turn access lane as a "#1 lane" on our local highway. This highway has a 70mph speed limit and the last two times I've driven up/down the highway the car has chosen, almost every single time, while traveling at 75mph to get into the left turn lane instead of maintaining the appropriate lane of travel, which in this case would be lane #1 of 2.

Again, I have recorded on video (with no one at Tesla to send this to), I have had to slam on the brakes, I have let the car "figure it out" and the car simply stopped abruptly in the turn lane(s), unable to figure out what to do, and I have sent the voice recording to Tesla. I hope there is SOME FIX coming soon because in my year and a half of having this car, this is the worst the car has performed.

I also have experience FSD not slowing or stopping for stop signs at several locations. I did not see if the signs were rendered on the display or not, as I had to watch the road carefully and brake at the last moment in order to see if FSD would make an abrupt stop, or not.

This has been an issue for me for the last few versions. Prior to V11, I don't remember FSD ever failing to stop for a stop sign. Alas, there is still plenty of work for Tesla's FSD team.

GSP

My '21 MSLR routinely "chooses" whether to run a 4-way stop, that also has flashing red lights, at a major intersection on a loop that runs around the town closest to where I live. Sometimes it'll stop and do a great job. However, about 75% of the time, the car, at 60mph will simply ignore the lights and stop signs and go barreling up to the intersection where I have to slam on the brakes. I've videoed this, did the voice recording to Tesla, etc., and it doesn't matter. With no "direct" way to report major events, errors and dangerous situations directly to Tesla Engineers there is absolutely nothing that can be done. That's why the updates and odd things the cars do is so frustrating. The Tesla Engineers simply work at their own pace to send updates/fixes while all of us, the end-users, are left wondering if our particular issue will get fixed or not. And this comes with the requisite problem of being constantly on guard when driving because you just never know what sort of bizarre thing the car will do next. This makes driving the Tesla more stressful than driving almost anything else I've owned.

Now, with the latest update, my car has failed to bias to the right side of the lane on the two-lane, unmarked country roads that I live on. Unlike the previous release where the car "built" a non-existent centerline, this release simply chooses the entirety of the road, centers between the dirt on either side and treats it as a "lane" instead of a two-lane road. This includes going over small, blind hills in the middle of the road and, twice now, treating oncoming cars as a confusing threat that it cannot "compute" and it weaves back and forth then "quits" and simply stops in the middle of the road.

This has been less frustrating and dangerous than the car's tendency to use EVERY left turn access lane as a "#1 lane" on our local highway. This highway has a 70mph speed limit and the last two times I've driven up/down the highway the car has chosen, almost every single time, while traveling at 75mph to get into the left turn lane instead of maintaining the appropriate lane of travel, which in this case would be lane #1 of 2.

Again, I have recorded on video (with no one at Tesla to send this to), I have had to slam on the brakes, I have let the car "figure it out" and the car simply stopped abruptly in the turn lane(s), unable to figure out what to do, and I have sent the voice recording to Tesla. I hope there is SOME FIX coming soon because in my year and a half of having this car, this is the worst the car has performed.
I agree. FSD V11.4.2 seems to be a major step backward. Running through a stop sign at high speed is dangerous. Driving with this release is very stressful. Running stop signs should generate a priority response from Tesla.

...Running stop signs should generate a priority response from Tesla.

Tesla is not the only company that runs red lights.

In 2016, or 7 years ago, Uber Autonomous Vehicles were caught running red lights. The company blamed its own human drivers who manually drove through the red lights, but the internal documents revealed that it was the machine that did it, not once, but it was documented with six traffic lights.

uber_red_light.gif

Last edited:
  • Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: EVNow and jeremymc7