Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unprotected left turn - 2:07 - Tesla Owners Silicon Valley

It’s ready, guys.

This might be some specific software 1.0 driving policy that just hasn't been written yet, and the current behavior is only looking for stopped traffic on the left vs a smarter behavior would be to realize the left turning traffic will block / stop cross traffic.

This isn’t necessarily true though (cross traffic may not be stopped by “protected” left turning traffic - it’s common for there to be flashing yellow left arrows, see Oregon for example - or it may be an unprotected left that is difficult to discern). A human has to evaluate the situation without seeing the way the left turn traffic lights work or how they are currently illuminated, and execute a safe right turn, when there is no cross traffic, and there is no left turn u-turn traffic. Just have to go when it is safe, and do so promptly.

Continuous drive no disengagement - 8:51 - Tesla Owners Silicon Valley
He should have disengaged for the double parked truck at 1:40. He starts passing the truck while it is moving. The truck's driver does hit their brakes, presumably because they saw him passing, but there is no way for him to know that. There could have been someone passing in front of the truck.

He should have disengaged for the double parked truck at 1:40. He starts passing the truck while it is moving. The truck's driver does hit their brakes, presumably because they saw him passing, but there is no way for him to know that. There could have been someone passing in front of the truck.

Why? That happens all the time. Most humans would pass that truck, which was obviously dropping someone off with no definite ETA. It was by no means a risky situation. The truck moved like 1-2 feet and slowly stopped. It wasn't some emergency braking (as you say "hit the brakes" like it was an abrupt stop).

I posted this in another FSD thread but should have put it here.

With the new FSD software, If I am sitting in my driveway in the car, car facing garage, and I tell it to take me to home depot, if I put it into reverse will it back out of the driveway and start the trip? Or will it only work selecting drive?

Thanks

Why? That happens all the time. Most humans would pass that truck, which was obviously dropping someone off with no definite ETA. It was by no means a risky situation. The truck moved like 1-2 feet and slowly stopped. It wasn't some emergency braking (as you say "hit the brakes" like it was an abrupt stop).
The truck had started moving while he was still behind it. That's when most humans would have realized that the truck had dropped off the kid and was now moving.
Then the truck stopped for unknown reasons. Someone passing in front of the truck would not necessitate the truck driver making an emergency stop. There isn't any information to be gained by the abruptness of the stop.
People crossing streets often don't expect a car to be coming from the wrong direction (obviously they should but they don't).

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
The truck had started moving while he was still behind it. That's when most humans would have realized that the truck had dropped off the kid and was now moving.
Then the truck stopped for unknown reasons. Someone passing in front of the truck would not necessitate the truck driver making an emergency stop. There isn't any information to be gained by the abruptness of the stop.
People crossing streets often don't expect a car to be coming from the wrong direction (obviously they should but they don't).

I don't know if there's a written law or regulation about double parked cars, but the unspoken rule is that once you've stopped in that situation, especially if another car had to pass you, you would yield for other traffic that was behind you. In this situation, another car had already passed the truck, and the Tesla was in the middle of passing as well. Passing laws in most states say that you have to allow the passing car to pass you without you speeding up. My only issue with the Tesla in this case is that it was kinda slow to pass, but then again, it was playing it safe.

I don't agree with you at all that the driver should have disengaged. It would have messed up an interesting (and relatively safe) situation to test FSD.

I don't know if there's a written law or regulation about double parked cars, but the unspoken rule is that once you've stopped in that situation, especially if another car had to pass you, you would yield for other traffic that was behind you. In this situation, another car had already passed the truck, and the Tesla was in the middle of passing as well. Passing laws in most states say that you have to allow the passing car to pass you without you speeding up. My only issue with the Tesla in this case is that it was kinda slow to pass, but then again, it was playing it safe.

I don't agree with you at all that the driver should have disengaged. It would have messed up an interesting (and relatively safe) situation to test FSD.

You’re totally missing the point. A human driver in this situation would be watching for legs in front of the truck. That is the reason why the truck stopped (it wasn’t, but it COULD have been). And the person crossing could VERY likely not be looking the right direction.

Now, maybe the “safety driver” WAS looking for this - I do not know.

To me, watching the video, I think as a human I would have passed, because it was obvious there was no one in front of the truck (and I would be watching for legs/feet). But was the Tesla looking for this?

Lol on the disagree. There is literally nothing to disagree with here.

Last edited:
Thanks for agreeing with me :p

I am not agreeing with you. Everyone is so weird on this site. I was just pointing out you were totally missing the entire point of @Daniel in SD.

I did not say I would pass the truck with FSD engaged even if I were monitoring it. I said I would pass the truck if I were driving and in full control. Not the same thing.

Too early to trust if you don’t know that FSD detects feet in this situation with 99.999% accuracy. I am fairly sure I have better than that accuracy rate when passing at a safe speed for the conditions, and I am watching and alert for this specific scenario.

Honestly if I had the FSD beta, I would be doing tests with a real human starting to walk out from in front of trucks parked on the side of the road (not stepping into the danger zone though), just to see what FSD’s capabilities were. Obviously we would not create a situation where a collision could occur - just would want to test whether it would slow down like a human would, based on trajectories of feet and bodies that are 90% obscured. Need to see the sophistication of the path prediction (and if it exists)! This is something humans do with extremely high success rate every day.

Last edited:
Reactions: T-Mom
Turns, turns, turns - 6:51 - Tesla Hawaii Club
Ugh, that left turn with a car waiting behind in the middle of the vid triggered me. Nothing annoys me more in these vids than people impeding other drivers on the road because they want to let the car do its thing. We share the road, be courteous and override, or at least hit the accelerator if the car is creeping out too slowly on a turn, if there are people waiting.
Situations & Scenarios - 20:39 - Tesla Raj

The camera angles are awesome. The transitions need work. I thought the car crashed a couple minutes into the vid, lol.

edit: ugh. People need to stop letting the car turn from the wrong lane. I couldn’t believe that he was going to let the car try to turn left from the wrong lane with a car next to him. Sure, he could and did take control to keep the car from hitting the guy, but he also said the guy was staring at him no doubt because he was worried about the guy with cameras on his car signaling to turn left from the wrong lane and wanted to make sure he wouldn’t be hit. Turning from the wrong lane isn’t okay, and should be disengaged and/or reported so Tesla can review and work to fix it.

Last edited:
Reactions: jdr93