Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD Beta V8.2 drive from Cruise HQ to Waymo HQ:

Right off the bat, it made a stupid mistake trying to turn at the wrong road and then going straight from a right turn lane, and then it tried to do 65 on a city street. I think they did an amazing job of imitating actual human driver behavior in SF. :D

Could somebody please run FSD Beta on some of the more challenging highways and pseudo-highways in the Bay Area? Specifically:

• Hecker Pass (CA-152)
  • Old Santa Cruz Highway
  • Quito Road
  • Bear Creek Rd.
  • CA-9
  • CA-84
  • Soquel San Jose Rd. (not nearly as bad as the others on that list, but high-traffic and winding)

Are you like, a psychic?
No, @diplomat33 is - what I like to call in the biz - a Waymo evangelist! And if anything proves the Waymo approach silly/useless/futile seems to set him off.

For instance, in this example.

This is the flow to the last frame before Kim disengaged, you can see FSD detected both cars and shows the driving path planned in the correct direction following the Model X, but she did not feel comfortable so she took over. (as she should if she sees the need)

What @diplomat33 will not notice is that a Tesla with FSD, is dropped into a new situation on a winding road going through a shared one car bridge/tunnel in fog is able to handle itself pretty darn well.
And what he will refuse to further notice is that Waymo Driver would be blocking traffic for miles in this situation.

1621875251069.png

1621875258327.png

The oncoming car is rendered with a yellow bounding box, I realize it is hard to see in the screen cap, but you can see it in 1080p on the original video.

No, @diplomat33 is - what I like to call in the biz - a Waymo evangelist! And if anything proves the Waymo approach silly/useless/futile seems to set him off.

Yes, I like Waymo. I am not ashamed of that.

For instance, in this example.

This is the flow to the last frame before Kim disengaged, you can see FSD detected both cars and shows the driving path planned in the correct direction following the Model X, but she did not feel comfortable so she took over. (as she should if she sees the need)

What @diplomat33 will not notice is that a Tesla with FSD, is dropped into a new situation on a winding road going through a shared one car bridge/tunnel in fog is able to handle itself pretty darn well.
And what he will refuse to further notice is that Waymo Driver would be blocking traffic for miles in this situation.

View attachment 665600
View attachment 665601

The oncoming car is rendered with a yellow bounding box, I realize it is hard to see in the screen cap, but you can see it in 1080p on the original video.

Yes, FSD Beta detected the car and drew what looks like a good path. I can see the yellow box. That is not the point. Did Kim disengage? Yes she did. Why? Because you can clearly see FSD Beta steer very close towards the incoming car. You can dismiss it as "But FSD Beta detected the car" and "Kim was just being cautious" but the fact is that was a safety disengagement. It does not matter if the car detected the car and had a good path on the screen, if it does not execute the path in a way that is completely safe, that's a problem.

Last edited:

Yes, FSD Beta detected the car and drew what looks like a good path. I can see the yellow box. That is not the point. Did Kim disengage? Yes she did. Why? Because you can clearly see FSD Beta steer very close towards the incoming car. You can dismiss it as "But FSD Beta detected the car" and "Kim was just being cautious" but the fact is that was a safety disengagement. It does not matter if the car detected the car and had a good path on the screen, if it does not execute the path in a way that is completely safe, that's a problem.
This reminds me of George Hotz saying that you need to do things EARLIER than a human would and not when you need to do it safely with FSD/driver assist otherwise the natural instinct will be to disengage

Totally agreed. FSD had a choice between two lane lines, and followed the left line when it should have followed the right. Except in very specific circumstances, the car should always follow the right line in the U.S. Unfortunately, Autopilot does not follow that rule, so when a new lane is added, it picks a lane somewhat arbitrarily.

The thing is, she intervened pretty late. Unless the car jerked the wheel hard to the right, a slower shift right would have put it on the wrong side of the center line, which is never acceptable.

I know that fog impeded its vision, so it couldn't see the center line, but the thing is, a human driver — even one with a learner's permit — would never make that kind of mistake. You just don't ever hug the left line in a country where people drive on the right side of the road unless a turn lane is being added on the right or the road has parking places down the right side. And you certainly don't ever do so in a one-lane section of a road with two-way traffic.

SMH. This was seriously bad. Like embarrassingly so.

Looks like in that list of roads I'd like to see FSD tested on, I should have said McKean Rd to Watsonville Rd. to CA-152 to Watsonville, rather than just CA-152. :D (I've seen the current Autopilot code pick the oncoming traffic lane on one of those first two; I forget which one.)